Seperation constant giving a harmonic dependence. (Seperation of variables)

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a positive or negative constant is necessary to give a harmonic time dependence in the solution for a separation constant. It is concluded that only the sin/cos solution will give a periodic, or harmonic, time dependence. The exponential solution will either run away or decay.
xago

Homework Statement

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8970/bose.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm on part b) where it asks which separation constation gives a harmonic time dependence. From part a) I deduced the equation [itex]\frac{d^{2}T}{dt^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex] = a constant. I'm choosing the constant [itex]k^{2}[/itex] and my question is does it matter if the constant is negative or positive? I have seen in textbooks that a positive constant gives the solution T(t) = Aexp(-kt) + Bexp(kt) whereas a negative one would be Acos(kt) + B sin(kt). Are both solutions equivalent or does only one of them give a harmonic time dependence (My guess would be the sin/cos one is the proper answer for this question.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi xago! :smile:
xago said:
… I have seen in textbooks that a positive constant gives the solution T(t) = Aexp(-kt) + Bexp(kt) whereas a negative one would be Acos(kt) + B sin(kt). Are both solutions equivalent or does only one of them give a harmonic time dependence (My guess would be the sin/cos one is the proper answer for this question.)

yes, you're right … harmonic has to be periodic, and only sin/cos will be periodic :smile:

(exp will be either runaway or decay :redface:)

Related to Seperation constant giving a harmonic dependence. (Seperation of variables)

1. What is the separation constant in the context of harmonic dependence?

The separation constant is a constant value that arises when solving differential equations using the method of separation of variables. It is used to separate the dependent and independent variables and is typically denoted as λ in the context of harmonic dependence.

2. How is the separation constant determined in a differential equation?

The separation constant is determined by substituting the assumed solution into the differential equation. This results in a separated equation with the dependent variable on one side and the independent variable on the other side, with the separation constant appearing as a coefficient.

3. Can the value of the separation constant change for different solutions of a differential equation?

Yes, the value of the separation constant can change for different solutions of a differential equation. This is because the separation constant is dependent on the initial conditions or boundary conditions of the specific problem being solved.

4. How does the separation constant affect the solution of a differential equation?

The separation constant is a crucial part of the solution to a differential equation. It is used to determine the form of the solution and can greatly affect the behavior of the solution, such as determining whether it is a periodic or non-periodic function.

5. Is the separation constant always a constant value?

No, the separation constant is not always a constant value. In some cases, it can be a variable or even a function of the independent variable. This typically occurs when solving partial differential equations with more than one independent variable.