Seperation of Variables to find exact solution

In summary, you can integrate and solve for x using euler-cauchy or euler methods. Comparison of results using separation of variables is also possible.
robcru1
Can anyone help me please or point me in the right direction, I am needing to find an exact solution for this equation by using separation of variables and compare them to answers i have calculated for Euler's method & Euler-Cauchy method. The equation is dx/dt=x^2/(t+1) when x(0)=1 and t=time from 0 to 0.5 in 0.1 increments.
Any pointers would be great thanks.
Robcru1

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you titled this "Separation of Variables" so apparently you know you can write this as [itex]x^{-2} dx= (t+1)^{-1}dt[/itex] and integrate. If the right side is giving you trouble, let u= t+1.

Wow quick response.
Yes i get that, what i am struggling with is where to go from this point and what it is i am actually trying to figure out i have previously rewritten it as ∫1/x^2 dx/dt dt=∫1/t+1 dt
which got me to ∫1/x^2 dx =∫1/t+1 dt
= ln(x^2) = ln(t+1)+C
Then i get stuck & confused
is this correct?

Can anyone assist me with this issue, its beginning to bug me now and i seem to be getting nowhere.
Thanks a lot

I'm, sorry, I had kind of thought (apparently foolishly) that, if you are asking about differential equations, you would know how to do basic integrals.

The integral of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]x^{n+1}/(n+1)+ C[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i do know that.
I am trying to find the exact solution for x based on the time steps of t from 0 (0.1) 0.5
are you saying what i have done so far i wrong? Can you point me down the correct path please.

Then why did you write that non-sense about the solution being "ln(x^2) = ln(t+1)+C"?

Also, the solution to a differential equation depends upon continuous change in the independent variable. You cannot have an "exact" solution with "time steps of t from 0 (0.1) 0.5".

My appologise for coming across as an idiot.
My original problem was to calculate answers for x^2/(t+1) for time steps 0 (0.1) 0.5 using both eulers method & euler-cauchy method and compare these results against an exact solution using separation of variables, i presumed i would need to calculate an exact solution at the same time intervals.
i have done the euler & euler-cauchy calculations and just need to carry out my comparison and tabulate it, this is where i am struggling.
I am just trying to get some understanding and method behind what i need to do to achieve this.
If my posts are NON-SENSE then please point me in as to where and which way to progress.
Many thanks

Robcru1

Can anyone help me any further with this please
My original equation was:- dx/dt=x^2/(t+1)
What i have so far is:-
∫x^-2dx=∫(t+1)^-1dt
x^-1/-1=∫(t+1)
Any help is appreciated

As already pointed out, in general,
[itex]\int\frac{1}{f(x)}dx \neq \ln{|f(x|})[/itex]

However, it is true that:
[itex]\int\frac{1}{t+c}dt=\ln{|t+c|}[/itex] where c is a constant.

The equation given by HallsofIvy is of course not valid for the special case where n=-1.

So, after integrating, you get..? The only thing left then is to rewrite the equation into the form x=f(t).
I suggest (re)reading a calculus book to clear the fog.

Related to Seperation of Variables to find exact solution

What is the concept of Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by separating the variables into individual equations and solving them separately. This technique is commonly used to find exact solutions for differential equations.

How does Separation of Variables work?

The first step in Separation of Variables is to rearrange the differential equation so that all of the variables are on one side and the constant terms are on the other. Then, each variable is isolated and treated as a single-variable equation. This allows for the variables to be solved independently, resulting in an exact solution for the differential equation.

What types of problems can be solved using Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables can be used to solve a variety of differential equations, including linear, non-linear, and partial differential equations. It is most commonly used for first-order ordinary differential equations, but can also be applied to higher-order equations.

What are the benefits of using Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables is a powerful tool for solving differential equations because it allows for the exact solution to be found. This is especially useful in physics and engineering applications where precise solutions are needed. It also simplifies the solving process by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

Are there any limitations to using Separation of Variables?

While Separation of Variables is a useful technique, it is not always applicable to every differential equation. It works best for linear equations and may not be effective for more complex equations. It also relies on the assumption that the variables can be separated, which is not always the case.