Sequential vs combinational adder

• Thread starter fysloc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adder
In summary, the student is tasked with writing VHDL code for an n-bit sequential adder and an n-bit combinational adder using a full adder, and observing the FPGA for each implementation. The student is unsure of the difference between a sequential adder and a combinational adder and has attempted to research it, but has not found relevant results. The student's understanding is that a sequential adder may involve using a shift register, while a combinational adder is a fixed length adder with multiple stages. However, they are not certain and have not been provided with a clear explanation in class. The primary goal of the assignment is to build and observe the two different designs on the FPGA.
fysloc

Homework Statement

Write the VHDL code for an n-bit sequential adder and an n-bit combinational adder using a full adder and observe the FPGA for each implementation.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue isn't the coding itself or anything of that sort (which is the purpose of the homework), just understanding what's the difference between a sequential adder and a combinational adder as it was not stated in the homework nor in any textbooks/class notes. My guess is that my original idea of an N-bit adder being N full adders placed together where the carryout is passed into the carryin of the next full adder would count as one of the designs, but am not sure what it would be called. Infact, the design I mentioned has been discussed in class but the prof never stated which design it was. Now being asked to do both designs, I tried to use google search to find out what's the difference, and sofar with no luck as the terms are very generic and I am not getting relevant search results. Again, the point of the homework is not to figure out what's the difference, just build them differently to see how the hardware changes in FPGA.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, a sequencial adder may be something that you feed data into with a shift register.
A combinatorial adder is a fixed length adder, made of multiple stages.

But I'm just guessing here.

Related to Sequential vs combinational adder

What is the difference between a sequential and combinational adder?

A sequential adder is a type of digital circuit that performs addition operations on binary numbers in a sequential manner, meaning that the output of each addition is used as an input for the next addition. A combinational adder, on the other hand, performs addition operations in a single step, without any feedback from the output of previous operations.

Which type of adder is faster?

A combinational adder is generally faster than a sequential adder because it performs addition in a single step, whereas a sequential adder requires multiple steps to complete an addition operation.

What are the advantages of using a sequential adder?

Sequential adders are useful in applications where the addition operations need to be executed in a specific order, such as in a sequential algorithm or in a feedback loop. They also use less hardware compared to combinational adders for the same number of inputs.

What are the advantages of using a combinational adder?

Combinational adders are advantageous because they can perform addition operations more quickly than sequential adders. They are also simpler to design and implement, making them more cost-effective for larger operations.

Which adder is more commonly used in digital circuits?

Both types of adders have their own advantages and are commonly used in different applications. However, combinational adders are used more frequently in digital circuits due to their speed and simplicity.