Series Circuit: 10 Ohm Resistor, Bulb, 12V Source

In summary: Then you can figure out what the current through the bulb would be.In summary, the current through the bulb is 1.5A.
ElectricSlide
A 10 ohm resistor in a series with a bulb and a 12v source.

a) If the 8.0V is across the bulb, what is the voltage across the resistor?
I wrote 4v, is this correct?

b) What is the current in the circuit? I wrote 1.5A, is this correct?

c) What is the resistence of the bulb? Could someone please tell me the formula I would need to know to complete this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) correct
b) no. how did you get 1.5A?
c) what formula do you know of that deals with voltage, current, and resistance?

p.s. welcome to PF.

Redbelly98 said:
a) correct
b) no. how did you get 1.5A?
c) what formula do you know of that deals with voltage, current, and resistance?

p.s. welcome to PF.

for question " b) " i got "I = V/R" from Ohm's Law. I realize I mistakenly wrote 1.5A, I meant 1.2A, is that incorrect still?

for question "c)" I don't see anything that pertains to it other than Ohm's law, " R = V/I " but I don't have the current, so i do not understand how to solve it.

Would the correct way to do it be " R = 4/1.2 " ??

Last edited:
b) Okay, correct formula. What are you using for V and R that gives you 1.5A?

c)
... I don't have the current ...
See part (b)

Redbelly98 said:
b) Okay, correct formula. What are you using for V and R that gives you 1.5A?

c)

See part (b)

you said part b) was wrong though.. or did you not read it after I re-edited it?

b)
Umm, 1.2A is also not right. (I did miss your edit.) Apparently you are saying
12 V / 10 Ω = 1.2 A
But it is wrong (for this circuit) to use 12V and 10Ω together like that.

What do you know about the current through each component, given that they are in series?

c)
Once you have gotten a correct answer for (b), you can use that information.

Redbelly98 said:
b)
Umm, 1.2A is also not right. (I did miss your edit.) Apparently you are saying
12 V / 10 Ω = 1.2 A
But it is wrong (for this circuit) to use 12V and 10Ω together like that.

What do you know about the current through each component, given that they are in series?

Clearly not much.. lol

less current means more voltage or that it gets reduced?

You have voltage and resistance of the resistor, so you can get the current through it.

Sakha said:
You have voltage and resistance of the resistor, so you can get the current through it.

oh so it would be I = 4/10 which is .4?

Yes.

Take a look at what your textbook says about circuit components that are in series, and the current through them.

Related to Series Circuit: 10 Ohm Resistor, Bulb, 12V Source

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in succession. In other words, the components are connected end-to-end, with one connection point between each component.

2. What is a 10 Ohm resistor?

A 10 Ohm resistor is an electrical component that resists the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is measured in Ohms and is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a bulb in a series circuit?

A bulb in a series circuit serves as a load or a device that converts electrical energy into light energy. It also helps to regulate the current flowing through the circuit.

4. What is the significance of a 12V source in a series circuit?

A 12V source in a series circuit refers to a power source that provides 12 volts of electrical potential difference. This means that it has the ability to push 12 volts of electrical charge through the circuit.

5. How does the current flow in a series circuit with a 10 Ohm resistor, bulb, and 12V source?

In a series circuit with a 10 Ohm resistor, bulb, and 12V source, the current flows through each component in succession. It first passes through the 10 Ohm resistor, then through the bulb, and finally back to the 12V source. The amount of current remains the same throughout the circuit, but the voltage may change as it passes through each component.