Series circuit answers correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ohm's law to solve for unknown values in a circuit with three batteries and three resistors. The given values include 40V, 20V, 10V for the batteries, 10 ohm for R3, and unknown values for R1, R2, and I. After some confusion and incorrect calculations, it is determined that the correct current for R3 is 2A, found by using the equation I=V/R with the given values of 20V and 10 ohm. The conversation also mentions the importance of using the specific voltage and resistance values for each individual component in the circuit, rather than the total values.
confused12345

Homework Statement

3 batteries: Vt= 40v+20v+10v = 70v
R1= unknown
R2= Unknown
R3= 10 ohm
I= unkown
The ones which I am looking for are:
I3=___
I1=___
V1= ___
R1=___
R2=___

Homework Equations

V=IR
I=V/R
R=V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I3= 7a
I1= 7a
V1=70v
R1= 10 ohm
R2= 10 ohm
Diagram:

Is this correct?

Attachments

• Physics.png
    Physics.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say. Strike that--impossible to say. Need a circuit diagram, please.

There seems to be some problems with your results. You'll have to give some details on how you arrived at your answers. How did you determine i3 to be 7A?

I used the equation I=V/R
70/10 ohm <--- since that was the only resistance already given?

I see. Well, presuming that the 70V you've quoted is the sum of the voltages shown for the battery and the voltages across R2 and R3, then that 70V is NOT across R3. It's the potential across R1, which you don't yet have a value for.

Your figure shows a voltage across R3. Why don't you use that voltage and that resistance to determine the current?

So if I use
I=V/R
=20/10
=2a
That is the correct current? I was using the totals to find I the first time.

confused12345 said:
So if I use
I=V/R
=20/10
=2a
That is the correct current? I was using the totals to find I the first time.

Yes, that is the correct current. It is a direct consequence of Ohm's law applied to R3 where you are given both the value of the resistance and the voltage across it.

Related to Series circuit answers correct?

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop, so that the current flows through each component one after another.

2. What are the components of a series circuit?

The components of a series circuit include a power source, wires, and multiple loads, such as resistors, that are connected one after another in a single loop.

3. How does the current flow in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current flows through each component in the same direction, as there is only one path for the current to follow.

4. What is the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. This can be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I) or by adding the individual resistances using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn.

5. How does the voltage change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the different components, so each component will have a lower voltage than the total voltage of the circuit. This can be calculated using the formula Vtotal = V1 + V2 + ... + Vn.

Back