Series Converg. Hmwk: Determine Convergence of \sum(-1)^n n/(n^p + (-1)^n)

In summary, the homework statement is really tough to work with. The author is not sure how to apply any of the tests they have been given to the series. If someone can help the author out, they would be appreciated.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Really tough series to work with.

Determine the convergence ( absolute or conditional ) or divergence of :

##\sum_{n=2}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n n}{n^p + (-1)^n}##

Homework Equations

?? Series tests?

The Attempt at a Solution

This series is really ugly. I'm not sure how to apply any of the tests I've been given to this particular series.

The ratio test gives me nada, as do Raabe's and Gauss's tests. The n'th root test fails as well as the integral test. The Cauchy Condensation test also yields no results. It's not a geometric series nor can I compare it to anything as is.

The only tests I think which I have left which will be useful is the Alternating series test and the limit form of the comparison test.

I also thought of something which doesn't really involve too much testing. I was thinking I could perhaps separate the positive and negative terms of the series into two other series.

Let :

##\sum u_n = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{2n}{2^p n^p + 1}##

and

##\sum v_n = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{2n+1}{(2n+1)^p - 1}##

Then if I show that u_n and v_n both diverge, it would mean that ##\sum |a_n|## diverged and thus ##\sum a_n## would be conditionally convergent.

I'm not sure if I'm approaching this correctly, or if there's something I may not be seeing, but if anyone knows what direction to take it would be appreciated if you could share.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would break it into cases according to the range of p. E.g. if p > 0 then for n > N, (np+(-1)n)-1 can be bounded to be within some range of n-p.

haruspex said:
I would break it into cases according to the range of p. E.g. if p > 0 then for n > N, (np+(-1)n)-1 can be bounded to be within some range of n-p.

Hey harup, thanks for the input. Just a note that p is never zero.

I was thinking of something and I would like to see if maybe this will help in solving this.

So we have : ##\sum_{n=2}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n n}{n^p + (-1)^n} = \sum (-1)^na_n##

Now : ## \sum (-1)^na_n ≤ \sum_{n=2}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n n}{n^p - 1} = \sum (-1)^n b_n##

I'm not sure this will help though.

I don't quite understand how to break it into cases like you're suggesting ( For p > 0 and p < 0 ).

Something like this...
(np+(-1)n)-1 = n-p(1+(-1)nn-p)-1
|(np+(-1)n)-1 - n-p| < n-2p+n-3p+... < n-2pα for n > (1-1/α)-1/p

Related to Series Converg. Hmwk: Determine Convergence of \sum(-1)^n n/(n^p + (-1)^n)

1. What is the formula for determining the convergence of a series?

The formula for determining the convergence of a series is to take the limit as n approaches infinity of the general term of the series. If the limit is equal to zero, the series is said to converge. If the limit is not equal to zero, the series is said to diverge.

2. How do you determine the general term of a series?

The general term of a series is the formula that represents each term in the series. This can typically be found by looking for a pattern in the series or by using known formulas for common series types, such as geometric or arithmetic series.

3. What does the (-1)^n term represent in the given series?

The (-1)^n term represents a alternating sign in the series. This means that every other term in the series will have a negative sign, while the remaining terms will have a positive sign. This altering sign can sometimes affect the convergence of a series.

4. How does the value of p affect the convergence of the series?

The value of p in the denominator of the general term affects the convergence of the series. If p is greater than 1, the series will converge. If p is equal to or less than 1, the series will diverge. This is because as n approaches infinity, the denominator will either become very large (diverge) or approach 1 (converge).

5. What is the convergence test for determining the convergence of this series?

The convergence test for this series is the alternating series test. This test states that if the alternating sign in the series is accompanied by a decreasing sequence of absolute values, then the series will converge. In this case, the sequence of absolute values is 1/n^p, which is a decreasing sequence as p increases.