Series: Convergent or Divergent?

In summary, the discussion is about determining whether the series ln(2(n+1))-ln(2n) is convergent or divergent, and the possibility of using the comparison test to find the answer. The conversation also mentions putting the series into the form ln(1+(1/n)) and considering how ln(1+x) behaves when x is very small.
genevievelily

Homework Statement

Is the following convergent or divergent?

ln(2(n+1))-ln(2n)

Homework Equations

comparison test

The Attempt at a Solution

I put it into the form ln(1+(1/n)), but I don't understand what to use as Bn for the comparison test. (which is what wolfram alpha uses)

Physics news on Phys.org
genevievelily said:

Homework Statement

Is the following convergent or divergent?

ln(2(n+1))-ln(2n)

Homework Equations

comparison test

The Attempt at a Solution

I put it into the form ln(1+(1/n)), but I don't understand what to use as Bn for the comparison test. (which is what wolfram alpha uses)

That's a good start. I think you want to look at how ln(1+x) behaves when x is very small. Do you think it converges or diverges?

Related to Series: Convergent or Divergent?

What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a mathematical series in which the terms get closer and closer to a specific value as the number of terms increases. This specific value is called the limit.

What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is a mathematical series in which the terms do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. Instead, the series either grows infinitely large or oscillates between different values.

How can you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

One way to determine if a series is convergent or divergent is by using the comparison test, where the given series is compared to a known convergent or divergent series. Another way is to use the ratio test, which compares the ratio of consecutive terms to a limit.

What are some real-world applications of convergent and divergent series?

Convergent and divergent series have many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and computer science. For example, the calculation of compound interest involves a convergent series, while the motion of a pendulum can be modeled using a divergent series. In computer science, the convergence or divergence of a series can determine the efficiency and accuracy of algorithms.

What are some common misconceptions about convergent and divergent series?

One common misconception is that a divergent series must have infinitely large values. However, a divergent series can also oscillate between different values. Another misconception is that a convergent series must approach a finite value. Some convergent series, known as conditionally convergent series, approach a specific value only when certain conditions are met.