Series parallel combination circuit

In summary: It only has an effect on the current through I5 if R3 is in series with I5. If R3 is in parallel with I5, then I5 is unaffected by R3.In summary, a resistor (R3) in series with the current through I5 has an effect on the current through I5, but if R3 is in parallel with the current through I5, then I5 is unaffected.
Alexeia

Homework Statement

In the attached circuit diagram, I have to find the Total resistance of the cicuit, the current at I1, the voltage over R6 and the current through I5.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Rt = 12Ohms
I1 = 1A
R6 = 6v
I5 = 1A

Homework Statement

Attachments

• Diagram_Series_Parallel_Comb.pdf
    302.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out which resistors are in series and which are in parallel. Then,try using a combination of kirchoff''s loop and junction rules to come up with a few linearly independent equations from which you can solve for the various I's. Also, Ohm's law is V = IR. See where that gets you.

Hello,

I re-attached my attempt, please have a look. I need to solve for the total resistance, current through I1, voltage over R6, and current through I5. I made an attempt by reducing the circuit to a simpler circuit. What confuses me is the current through I5, and whether R3 actually makes any difference to the total resistance of the circuit, because in my eyes it is as if it is bypassed by the wire carrying current I5.

Meant V = IR, sorry about that.

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Could you tell me what the resistance of the top right resistor is? It's not included in the diagram.

Its 24 Ohm, I re-scanned the diagram, has all info now..

Well, are you familiar with Kirchoff's loop rule?

I know his First law(current law), and Second law(Voltage law). Are you talking about one of them?

Just another question, if Resistor three is short circuited, does it add to the total resistance of the circuit or do I just ignore it?

Well, the loop rule states that the sum of all the potential differences around a closed circuit is zero (For a conservative electric field that is). Have a think about that in relation to the total resistance of your circuit.

Uhhh... I think I am a little confused now. But ill try to figure it out.. Thanks for the help

Wait, I've totally jumped the gun here with using the rules. My apologies for any confusion!

Hint: R4 the 10Ω resistor is shorted, it does not contribute anything. Remove it from the circuit all currents and voltages will remain the same.

Integral said:
Hint: R4 the 10Ω resistor is shorted, it does not contribute anything. Remove it from the circuit all currents and voltages will remain the same.
Actually that's R3.

Related to Series parallel combination circuit

1. What is a series parallel combination circuit?

A series parallel combination circuit is a type of electrical circuit that combines elements of both series and parallel circuits. This means that some components are connected in a series, while others are connected in parallel.

2. How does a series parallel combination circuit work?

In a series parallel combination circuit, the components that are connected in series have the same current passing through them, while the components connected in parallel have the same voltage across them. This allows for a more complex and flexible circuit design, as the circuit can be divided into smaller sections.

3. What are the advantages of a series parallel combination circuit?

One advantage of a series parallel combination circuit is that it allows for a larger number of components to be connected in a single circuit, as compared to a series or parallel circuit. This also allows for increased flexibility in circuit design. Additionally, series parallel combination circuits can handle higher voltages and currents than a simple series or parallel circuit.

4. What are the disadvantages of a series parallel combination circuit?

One disadvantage of a series parallel combination circuit is that it can be more complex and difficult to troubleshoot and repair compared to a simple series or parallel circuit. Additionally, the presence of multiple components and connections can increase the chances of a circuit failure.

5. What are some common applications of series parallel combination circuits?

Series parallel combination circuits are commonly used in many electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and audio systems. They are also used in power distribution systems and industrial equipment, where a combination of high voltage and current is required.