Set 4.5x - 9(1-x) to Equal -1 with TI 83 Calculator

• Thread starter Kombaiyashii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation is about setting a formula to equal -1 and finding the value of x that makes it true. The speaker advises to use algebraic rules instead of relying on a calculator to solve the problem.
Kombaiyashii
Hi.

I would like to make the answer equal -1

here's the formula:

4.5(x) - 9(1-x)

How do I set this to equal -1? (This isn't homework, I'm working out some poker math and am not very good at this type of thing.) I use a TI 83 calculator.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's the same as 4.5(x) - 9(1-x)+1 = 0

Take a hint from me:
If you want to learn math, set your calculator aside.

To "set" something to -1 means to write "= -1" at the end! So to "set" 4.5x- 9(1- x) to -1 is just to write 4.5x- 9(1- x)= -1. If you mean "find the value of x that makes this true", use the usual "rules" of algebra. First multiply out those parentheses:
4.5x- 9+ 9x= -1
Add the terms in x, 13.5x- 9= -1. Now add 9 to both sides, then divide both sides by 13.5.

Using a calculator to do that is like using a calculator to add "1+ 1" (and I have seen people do that!).

SteamKing said:
Take a hint from me:
If you want to learn math, set your calculator aside.
+1 to that!

To set the equation equal to -1 on a TI 83 calculator, follow these steps:

1. Enter the equation into the calculator: 4.5x - 9(1-x)
2. Press the "Enter" button to see the current answer.
3. Press the "2nd" button, then the "Math" button.
4. Scroll down to "fnInt(" and press "Enter".
5. Enter the equation again, but this time add "-1" at the end: 4.5x - 9(1-x) -1
6. Press the "Enter" button to see the new answer.
7. The calculator will display "fnInt(" at the beginning of the equation. Press the "Enter" button again to solve for x.
8. The calculator will give you the value of x that makes the equation equal to -1.

Related to Set 4.5x - 9(1-x) to Equal -1 with TI 83 Calculator

1. What is the purpose of setting an equation equal to a specific number on a TI 83 calculator?

The purpose of setting an equation equal to a specific number is to solve for the value of the variable that makes the equation true. This is known as finding the solution or root of the equation.

2. Why is it necessary to use a calculator to solve this equation?

Solving equations by hand can be time-consuming and prone to human error. A calculator can quickly and accurately solve equations, making the process more efficient and reliable.

3. How do I enter the equation "4.5x - 9(1-x) = -1" into a TI 83 calculator?

To enter this equation, press the "Y=" button on the calculator. Then, enter "4.5x - 9(1-x)" on the first line and "-1" on the second line. Make sure to use the "x" button for the variable x. Press "Enter" to save the equation.

4. What steps do I need to take to solve this equation on a TI 83 calculator?

Once the equation is entered into the calculator, press the "2nd" button and then the "Calc" button. From the menu that appears, select "5: intersect" and press "Enter." Then, use the arrow keys to move the cursor close to the point where the two graphs intersect. Press "Enter" twice to find the solution for x.

5. How can I check if the solution found by the calculator is correct?

To check the solution found by the calculator, substitute the value of x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. In this case, the equation should equal to -1 when x = 1. If the equation is true, then the solution is correct.