Set problem of x-intercepts and y-intercepts

• Thread starter Lilt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
It's for you to see if it is helpful for you or not.Yes, I agree that the form "y= m(x- 1)+ 36" is a useful form for investigating the question. However, the OP seems to be asking about the form y= mx+ b. With m+ b= 36, we can write that as y= mx+ (36- m) and then just look at the intercepts. I don't see why you would want to solve y= m(x- 1)+ 36 for x to get the x-intercept when it is so much easier to just look at the intercepts of y= mx+ (36- m). Since the
Lilt

Homework Statement

Let S be the set of all lines with equation y = mx+b for which m+b = 36. For how many of the elements of S are both the x- and y-intercepts integers?

Homework Equations

y = mx+b for which m+b = 36

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not wrapping my mind around the steps in the solution here:

Denote by (a,0); (0, b) correspondingly x-intercept and y-intercept
of a line. Adding the equalities given in the problem and simplifying the result,
we will come to the equation of the set of the lines y = (m-1)x+36​

From that point onward, I can see and work through the steps. If I were to add these two equations, then I get y = mx + m + 2b - 36. I figure there's substitution occurring for their simplification, but I'm oblivious to it.

edit: Oh jeez, and I posted this in the wrong subsection. Should I re-post it, or will this be moved? Sorry about that!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found success by finding the x intercept of y=mx+b, and then analyzing what is necessary to make that intercept an integer.

Lilt said:

of a line. Adding the equalities given in the problem and simplifying the result,

It means the set of lines are all the lines that intercept y-axis at 36 and have gradient of (m-1).
But you data show y=(36-b)x+b
Lines intercept at y=b and have gradient of (36-b). So we have infinite numbers of solution.

Last edited:
Lilt said:

Homework Statement

Let S be the set of all lines with equation y = mx+b for which m+b = 36. For how many of the elements of S are both the x- and y-intercepts integers?

Homework Equations

y = mx+b for which m+b = 36

The Attempt at a Solution

From that point onward, I can see and work through the steps. If I were to add these two equations, then I get y = mx + m + 2b - 36. I figure there's substitution occurring for their simplification, but I'm oblivious to it.

edit: Oh jeez, and I posted this in the wrong subsection. Should I re-post it, or will this be moved? Sorry about that!
Hello Lilt. Welcome to PF !

(I have requested that this thread be moved to precalculus.)

If m+b = 36, then b = 36 - m.

Plug-in 36 - m in place of b in y = mx + b.

If you solve for m, you will find a point through which all these lines pass; (lines with equation y = mx+b having m + b = 36).

More pertinent to the question at hand:
The intercept-intercept form of a line is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\,,[/itex] where a is the x-intercept and b is the y-intercept. If you put the equation for your line into this form it may be easier to get the answer.​

I'm still stumbling on the algebra, I think.

So if they solved for b and got b = 36 - m

And plugged that into get y = mx + (36 - m)

They would re-order the equation y = mx - m +36

And then factored out m, y = m(x-1) + 36

But they have y = (m-1)x + 36

Maybe they made an error? And thank you for the welcome :)

Last edited:
Lilt said:
I'm still stumbling on the algebra, I think.

So if they solved for b and got b = 36 - m

And plugged that into get y = mx + (36 - m)

They would re-order the equation y = mx - m +36

And then factored out m, y = m(x-1) + 36

But they have y = (m-1)x + 36

Maybe they made an error? And thank you for the welcome :)
B is the y-intercept. Right?

What can you say about m, if the y-intercept has to be an integer?

How do you find the x-intercept from the equation, y = m(x-1) + 36 ?

I don't see any reason to look at y= m(x- 1)+ 36. Since the question asks about the line y= mx+ b= mx+ 36- m, look at its intercepts- when x= 0, y= 36- m which must be an integer. When y= 0, x= (m- 36)/m= 1- 36/m which must be an integer. So m must be an integer that evenly divides 36.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see any reason to look at y= m(x- 1)+ 36. Since the question asks about the line y= mx+ b= mx+ 36- m, look at its intercepts- when x= 0, y= 36- m which must be an integer. When y= 0, x= (m- 36)/m= 1- 36/m which must be an integer. So m must be an integer that evenly divides 36.
Well, if y = 0, then it seems to me that the equation, y = m(x- 1)+ 36 → 0 = m(x- 1)+ 36 lends itself to solving for x, which gives the x intercept. So, if you're looking for a reason, that's one reason.

Another reason to write the equation of the line as y= m(x- 1)+ 36 is: this form of the line gives a family of lines passing through the point, (1, 36), with their slopes parametrized by m.

It's not necessary to use this form for the equation of the line. It's just that in my view it might be helpful.

Last edited:

FAQ: Set problem of x-intercepts and y-intercepts

1. What is the difference between x-intercepts and y-intercepts?

The x-intercept is the point where a graph intersects the x-axis, meaning the y-value is equal to 0. The y-intercept is the point where a graph intersects the y-axis, meaning the x-value is equal to 0. Essentially, the x-intercept represents the value of x when y is 0, and the y-intercept represents the value of y when x is 0.

2. How do I find the x-intercepts and y-intercepts of a given equation?

To find the x-intercepts, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercepts, set x equal to 0 and solve for y. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the intercept points.

3. Can an equation have more than one x-intercept and y-intercept?

Yes, an equation can have multiple x-intercepts and y-intercepts. This occurs when the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis or y-axis at multiple points.

4. How do x-intercepts and y-intercepts relate to the roots and solutions of an equation?

The x-intercepts and y-intercepts of an equation are also known as the roots and solutions, respectively. These terms refer to the values of x and y that make the equation true or satisfy the equation. The x-intercepts are the values of x that make y equal to 0, while the y-intercepts are the values of y that make x equal to 0.

5. How can I use x-intercepts and y-intercepts to graph an equation?

The x-intercepts and y-intercepts can be used to plot points on a graph and then connect them to create the graph of the equation. The x-intercepts represent points on the x-axis, while the y-intercepts represent points on the y-axis. By plotting these points and connecting them, the graph of the equation can be visualized.