Set Theory Proofs: A, B, and C - Solving for Set Equality and Complements

In summary: This gives you the equation: $$1_M(x)=\left \{ \begin{matrix}1&\mbox{ if }& x\in M\\0&\mbox{if}& x\not\in M\end{matrix}\right.$$ Solving for $x$ and taking the limit as $x\rightarrow\infty$ you get: $$x=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}1_M(x).$$
MikeLandry
I have gotten to this point with a and b but do i am totally lost with c. Any help would be much appreciated

Consider any three arbitrary sets A, B and C.
(a) Show that if A ∩ B = A∩ C and A ∪ B = A ∪ C, then B = C.
(b) Show that if A − B = B − A, then A = B.
(c) Show that if A∩B = A∩C = B ∩C and A∪B ∪C = U, then A⊕B ⊕C = U.

For the three proofs so far i have

a) So A intersects C = A intersects B and A union B= A union C.

Let
png.latex
then
png.latex
. Suppose then that
png.latex
then
png.latex
and thus
png.latex
. Contradiction.

Similarly, let
png.latex
then
png.latex
. Suppose that
png.latex
then
png.latex
and so
png.latex
. Contradiction

b)

AB=ABc where Bc is the complement of B.

Now if AB then (x)[xABc or xBAc]for

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MikeLandry,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I think you have the right idea for part one, but I would alter a couple of things. To show two sets, $B$ and $C$ are equal you need to show $B \subseteq C$ and $C \subseteq B$. Put another way $x \in B \implies x \in C$ and $x \in C \implies x \in B$. I think you already showed both of those things by the contrapositive but you didn't write what you showed implies.

Jameson

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I feel confident with my solutions for questions a and b but any insite on how to solve part c would be greatly appreciated

MikeLandry said:
I feel confident with my solutions for questions a and b but any insite on how to solve part c would be greatly appreciated

An elegant way (but not the only one), is to use the characteristic function. Being $U$ an universal set and $M\subset U$ the characteristic function $1_M:U\to \{0,1\}$ is defined by: $$1_M(x)=\left \{ \begin{matrix} 1 & \mbox{ if }& x\in M \\0 & \mbox{if}& x\not\in M\end{matrix}\right.$$ Using the properties $$\begin{aligned}&M_1=M_2\Leftrightarrow1_{M_1}=1_{M_2}\\&1_{M\cup N}=1_M+1_N-1_M\cdot 1_N\\&1_{M\oplus N}=1_M+1_N-2\cdot1_M\cdot 1_N\end{aligned}$$ and the hypothesis $A\cup B\cup C=U$ (that is, $1_{A\cup B\cup C}=1_U$) you'll easily verify that $A\oplus B\oplus C=U$ iff: $$1_A\cdot 1_B+1_A\cdot 1_C+1_B\cdot 1_C-3\cdot 1_A\cdot 1_B\cdot 1_C=0$$ Now, use the hypothesis $A\cap B=A\cap C=B\cap C$.

part c, we can approach it by contradiction as well. Assume that A⊕B⊕C ≠ U. This means that there exists an element x in U that is not in A⊕B⊕C. This can only happen if x is not in A, B, or C. However, since A∩B = A∩C = B∩C, this means that every element in A, B, and C must also be in the other two sets. Therefore, x cannot exist and we have a contradiction. This proves that A⊕B⊕C = U.

FAQ: Set Theory Proofs: A, B, and C - Solving for Set Equality and Complements

1. What is Set Theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and analysis, and is commonly used in fields such as computer science and philosophy.

2. What is a Set Theory proof?

A Set Theory proof is a logical argument that uses the principles and rules of set theory to show that a statement or theorem is true. It typically involves defining sets, manipulating them using set operations, and using logical reasoning to arrive at a conclusion.

3. How do Set Theory proofs relate to real-world applications?

Set Theory proofs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, economics, and physics. For example, in computer science, set theory is used in database design and data structures. In economics, it is used in game theory and decision-making. In physics, it is used to model and study complex systems.

4. What are some common techniques used in Set Theory proofs?

Some common techniques used in Set Theory proofs include proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and direct proof. These techniques involve using logical reasoning, definitions, and properties of sets to demonstrate the truth of a statement.

5. What are some challenges in writing Set Theory proofs?

One of the main challenges in writing Set Theory proofs is ensuring that the reasoning is clear and the steps are logically sound. It is also important to have a good understanding of the definitions and properties of sets, as well as the rules of logic. Additionally, some proofs may require advanced mathematical concepts and techniques, making them more challenging to write and understand.