Set Theory: Prove a function is injective

In summary, the problem involves proving the injectivity and surjectivity of a function defined as f(X)=(A∩X,B∩X). The domain of the function is P(E) and the codomain is the set of ordered pairs (a,b) where a is a subset of A and b is a subset of B. The problem asks to prove that the function is injective if and only if A∪B=E and surjective if and only if A∩B=∅. To solve this problem, one must first understand the terms and definitions involved in set theory and then use examples and simpler problems to gain a better understanding of the function and its properties.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Hello,
I need some help on the following. I am BRAND new to set theory and this was in my first HW assignment and I am not sure where to start.
The question is as follows:

Let A and B be parts of a set E
Let [tex]P(E)\rightarrow P(A) X P(B)[/tex] be defined by
[tex]f(X)=(A\cap X,B\cap X)[/tex]

Show that f is injective if and only if [tex]A\cup B=E[/tex]
Show that f is surjective if and only if [tex]A\cap B=\varnothing[/tex]

notation: P(A) denotes the set of all parts of A

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have anything in my notes that remotely resembles this. Any pointers on how I should get started? Remember: I am new to set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, do you understand the terms in the problem and what it's asking for?

Geofleur said:
For starters, do you understand the terms in the problem and what it's asking for?
Well, I know the definition of injectivity and surjectivity. Does it say that the parts of E are mapping to ordered pairs (a,b) where a is in P(A) and b is in P(B)?
Im not sure about "defined by" f(X)=(A intersect X, B intersect X)

So basically: no, I don't know the terms of the problem

Think of a function as a machine that eats one thing and spits another thing out. The first line, ## P(E) \rightarrow P(A) \times P(B) ## is saying that the function will eat a subset (or "part") of E and spit out an ordered pair, the first item of which is a subset of A and the second item of which is a subset of B. The second line, ## f(X) = (A \cap X, B \cap X) ## is telling you specifically which subsets of A and B will go in the ordered pair. You seem to intuitively have understood this.

Start with just the injectivity. Take some easier to understand function, like ## f(x) = x^3 ##, defined on the real numbers, and see if you can prove that it is injective. What assumption do you have to start with in order to do this? How does the proof end?

DeldotB said:
Well, I know the definition of injectivity and surjectivity. Does it say that the parts of E are mapping to ordered pairs (a,b) where a is in P(A) and b is in P(B)?
Im not sure about "defined by" f(X)=(A intersect X, B intersect X)

So basically: no, I don't know the terms of the problem
I don't know if it was a typo, but I suspect the problem says "Let ##f: P(E) \to P(A)\times P(B)## be defined by ##f(X) = (A \cap X, B \cap X)##. So you're right in thinking it maps subsets of E to the ordered pair (a, b) where a and b are, respectively, subsets of A and B.

Can you tell me what the "X" is in [tex]f(X)=(A\cap X, B\cap X)[/tex] ?

is X a subset of E where [tex]X \in A[/tex] or [tex]X \in B[/tex]?

or is X a subset of P(E)?

P(E) is the collection of all subsets of E. X is an element of P(E), which means that it is a subset of E. A and B are also subsets of E. It does not make sense to say that X is an element of A or of B. It could be a subset of either, but it doesn't have to be.

Geofleur said:
P(E) is all the collection of all subsets of E. X is an element of P(E), which means that it is a subset of E. A and B are also subsets of E. It does not make sense to say that X is an element of A or of B. It could be a subset of either, but it doesn't have to be.
Okay, so given this, how would I start? I guess the function is confusing me. All worked examples work with a function like f(x)=2x+1 or f(x)=x^2 and so on...
I haven't seen a function like this. I know what it "does" but I am confused about how to actually prove its injective using the information [tex]A \cup B=E[/tex]

Most proofs start out with something like:

Let [tex] a,b \in E[/tex] and I would need to show [tex]f(a)=f(b)[/tex] implies [tex]a=b[/tex]

To show that a function is injective, you have to show that f(a) = f(b) implies that a = b. In this case, the function takes sets as arguments, so you will want to start with ## f(C_1) = f(C_2) ##, where ## C_1 ## and ## C_2 ## are subsets of E. Then you'll have to find a way to show that ## C_1 = C_2 ##, using the information that ## A \cup B = E ##. Note that the problem asks you to prove that f is injective if and only if ## A \cup B = E ##. So you'll also have to assume that f is injective and show that this implies ## A \cup B = E ##.

Okay, so I would have:

Let [tex] C_1,C_2 \in E[/tex],
Since f is injective , this implies [tex] f(C_{1})=f(C_2)[/tex].

So can I say that ordered pair [tex](A \cap X,B \cap X) \in C_1[/tex] ?

## C_1 ## and ## C_2 ## are subsets of E, not elements of E. f is injective means: ## f(C_1)=f(C_2) ## implies ## C_1 = C_2 ##. Before tackling this problem, it might be a good idea to do some simpler problems that are just about sets, set membership, and subsets, without involving the additional complication of a function.

Likes DeldotB
Thanks for your time Geofleur, Ill do some more problems.

It might help you to look at a specific example of E, A, and B to see how everything fits together. Let E = {1,2,3}, A={1,2}, and B={2,3}. Then you have
\begin{align*}
P(E) &= \{\emptyset, \{1\}, \{2\}, \{3\}, \{1,2\}, \{1,3\}, \{2,3\}, \{1,2,3\}\} \\
P(A) &= \{\emptyset, \{1\}, \{2\}, \{1,2\}\} \\
P(B) &= \{\emptyset, \{2\}, \{3\}, \{2,3\}\}
\end{align*} The domain of ##f## is P(E). The codomain of ##f## is the set
\begin{align*}
P(A)\times P(B) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cccc}
(\emptyset, \emptyset), & (\{1\}, \emptyset), & (\{2\}, \emptyset), & (\{1,2\}, \emptyset), \\
(\emptyset, \{2\}), & (\{1\}, \{2\}), & (\{2\}, \{2\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{2\}), \\
(\emptyset, \{3\}), & (\{1\}, \{3\}), & (\{2\}, \{3\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{3\}), \\
(\emptyset, \{2,3\}), & (\{1\}, \{2,3\}), & (\{2\}, \{2,3\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{2,3\}) \\
\end{array}\right\}
\end{align*} Suppose ##X = \{1, 3\} \in P(E)##. Note ##X## is a set, not an element of E. Then
\begin{align*}
f(X) &= (A \cap X, B \cap X) \\
&= (\{1,2\} \cap \{1,3\}, \{2,3\} \cap \{1,3\}) \\
&= (\{1\}, \{3\})
\end{align*} which is an element of ##P(A) \times P(B)##.

Likes DeldotB and Geofleur
vela said:
It might help you to look at a specific example of E, A, and B to see how everything fits together. Let E = {1,2,3}, A={1,2}, and B={2,3}. Then you have
\begin{align*}
P(E) &= \{\emptyset, \{1\}, \{2\}, \{3\}, \{1,2\}, \{1,3\}, \{2,3\}, \{1,2,3\}\} \\
P(A) &= \{\emptyset, \{1\}, \{2\}, \{1,2\}\} \\
P(B) &= \{\emptyset, \{2\}, \{3\}, \{2,3\}\}
\end{align*} The domain of ##f## is P(E). The codomain of ##f## is the set
\begin{align*}
P(A)\times P(B) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cccc}
(\emptyset, \emptyset), & (\{1\}, \emptyset), & (\{2\}, \emptyset), & (\{1,2\}, \emptyset), \\
(\emptyset, \{2\}), & (\{1\}, \{2\}), & (\{2\}, \{2\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{2\}), \\
(\emptyset, \{3\}), & (\{1\}, \{3\}), & (\{2\}, \{3\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{3\}), \\
(\emptyset, \{2,3\}), & (\{1\}, \{2,3\}), & (\{2\}, \{2,3\}), & (\{1,2\}, \{2,3\}) \\
\end{array}\right\}
\end{align*} Suppose ##X = \{1, 3\} \in P(E)##. Note ##X## is a set, not an element of E. Then
\begin{align*}
f(X) &= (A \cap X, B \cap X) \\
&= (\{1,2\} \cap \{1,3\}, \{2,3\} \cap \{1,3\}) \\
&= (\{1\}, \{3\})
\end{align*} which is an element of ##P(A) \times P(B)##.

ahh, that clears quite a bit up! Thanks vela!

Related to Set Theory: Prove a function is injective

1. What is a function in set theory?

A function in set theory is a relation between two sets, where each input in the first set is associated with exactly one output in the second set. It can be thought of as a rule that assigns each element in the first set to a unique element in the second set.

2. What does it mean for a function to be injective?

A function is injective if each element in the second set is paired with a unique element in the first set. In other words, no two elements in the second set are mapped to the same element in the first set.

3. How can I prove that a function is injective?

To prove that a function is injective, you can use the definition of injectivity and show that for any two elements in the second set, their corresponding elements in the first set are different. Another way is to use a proof by contradiction, assuming that the function is not injective and showing that it leads to a contradiction.

4. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. This type of function is called a bijective function. It means that each element in the first set is mapped to a unique element in the second set, and every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

5. Why is proving a function is injective important in set theory?

Proving that a function is injective is important in set theory because it ensures that the function preserves the uniqueness of elements in the set. This is useful in many applications, such as computer science and mathematics, where preserving the uniqueness of elements is crucial for the accuracy of calculations and analyses.