Set x Equal to Something: How to Use Brackets in a Function

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: But in all seriousness, I was just curious about the terminology.In summary, the conversation is about the proper use of brackets in mathematical functions, specifically when setting x equal to something in a function. The participants also mention different terms for brackets and other symbols, such as angle brackets, parentheses, and braces, and the differences in terminology between different regions.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I was always sure you use brackets but lately a certainly question had shaken my confidence. Can you confirm one uses brackets when settings the x equal to something in a function f(x).

Attachments

• thisorthis.jpg
    thisorthis.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 436
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Femme_physics! :smile:

(wouldn't it have been quicker to type it rather than attach a picture? :confused:)

If f(x) = -x2 + 4

then f(-10) = -(-10)2 + 4.

I don't know what --102 + 4 would mean, but I suspect it would be --(102) + 4 = (102) + 4 :confused:

Tiny-tim! Good to see you! Where've you been hiding? ^^ :)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Femme_physics! :smile:

(wouldn't it have been quicker to type it rather than attach a picture? :confused:)
LMAO! Force of habit!

If f(x) = -x2 + 4

then f(-10) = -(-10)2 + 4.

I don't know what --102 + 4 would mean, but I suspect it would be --(102) + 4 = (102) + 4 :confused:

Heh, yes. So it's settled, you use brackets.

Femme_physics said:
Tiny-tim! Good to see you! Where've you been hiding? ^^ :)

finding nemo! :rolleyes:

where were you? :biggrin:

Hehe. You know I'm always here, distraught about some new statics problem. My lovely guardian angel these days is I like Serena :) But you're also always welcome to flop those golden fins, sending me ripples of comprehension in my quest to understand mechanics^^

tiny-tim said:
I don't know what --102 + 4 would mean, but I suspect it would be --(102) + 4 = (102) + 4

Clearly, --102 + 4 means 92 + 4 = 85.:biggrin:

Similarly, ++102 + 4 would be 112 + 4 = 125

BTW, some of us on the west side of the Atlantic call these things - [] - brackets, these things - {} - braces, these things - <> - angle brackets, and these things - () - parentheses. I understand that the terminology is somewhat different in GB.

Mark44 said:
these things - <> - angle brackets

Oh, is that what they're called? I just call them arrow thingies.

Char. Limit said:
Oh, is that what they're called? I just call them arrow thingies.

Aherm, vector notation on the Cartesian plane. Check yourself before you wreck yourself ;)

To be fair, I also call brackets "square thingies" and paretheses "round thingies".

Char. Limit said:
To be fair, I also call brackets "square thingies" and paretheses "round thingies".

LOL. I actually knew you were joking, Char, I just wanted to jokingly patronize over you and sound smart for a milisecond :D

Femme_physics said:
LOL. I actually knew you were joking, Char, I just wanted to jokingly patronize over you and sound smart for a milisecond :D

Huh? I'm not joking. That's actually what I call them.

|| - straight thingies?
& - curly thingy?
~ - wavy thingy?

See, Mark gets me! Oh, and these: {} are pointy thingies.

FAQ: Set x Equal to Something: How to Use Brackets in a Function

1. What is the purpose of using brackets in a function?

Brackets in a function are used to specify the parameters or variables that the function will operate on. They are also used to enclose any additional instructions or arguments that the function may require.

2. How do I set x equal to something in a function?

To set x equal to something in a function, you can use the equal sign (=) followed by the value or expression that you want x to be equal to. For example, if you want x to be equal to 5, you can write x = 5. This will assign the value of 5 to the variable x.

3. Can I use brackets to define multiple parameters in a function?

Yes, you can use brackets to define multiple parameters in a function. Simply separate the parameters with a comma inside the brackets. For example, if you have two parameters x and y, you can write (x, y) inside the brackets.

4. How do I use brackets to specify arguments in a function?

To specify arguments in a function using brackets, you can write the arguments inside the brackets after the function name. For example, if you have a function called myFunction and it requires two arguments x and y, you can write myFunction(x, y).

5. Are brackets necessary when defining a function?

Brackets are not necessary when defining a function, but they are typically used to specify the parameters and arguments of the function. If the function does not require any parameters or arguments, then brackets may not be necessary.