Setting up a double integral to find the volume

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up and evaluating a double integral to find the volume of a solid bounded by the equation x2+y2+z2=r2. The individual is unsure of how to approach the problem with three variables, but it is suggested to use spherical coordinates and convert the equation to z=sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2). The conversation concludes with the suggestion to set up a triple integral and then do one integration to get to the desired double integral.
ahmetbaba

Homework Statement

Set up and evaluate a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equation

x2+y2+z2=r2

Homework Equations

Not much equations, just setting the integral up, however I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to approach these problems if there were only 2 variables, but I'm kind of stuck since there are three variables that I have to deal with.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmetbaba said:

Homework Statement

Set up and evaluate a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equation

x2+y2+z2=r2

Homework Equations

Not much equations, just setting the integral up, however I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to approach these problems if there were only 2 variables, but I'm kind of stuck since there are three variables that I have to deal with.

Then solve the equation for z, giving one or more functions of two variables.

Is there any obvious symmetry you can use?

how can you solve the equation for z, even then there will be r^2. Help me out with the beginning here please.

ahmetbaba said:
how can you solve the equation for z, even then there will be r^2. Help me out with the beginning here please.

r is just a constant. Do you recognize what the graph of this is?

do we approach this problem by first saying z=o, then x=o and y=o, integrating all three equations. However the question says to set up a double integration, not a triple integration?

ahmetbaba said:
do we approach this problem by first saying z=o, then x=o and y=o, integrating all three equations. However the question says to set up a double integration, not a triple integration?

No, you don't do that. So I will ask you again:

1. Do you recognize what this surface is?
2. Can you use any symmetries to your advantage?

Then solve it for z to get started. Get z in terms of x and y if you are required to do a double integral.

well it is a sphere, we can say that the center of the sphere passes through (0,0,0) so if we calculate the top half, we can multiply by 2, to get the answer.

z=sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2)

the limits being -r and r for the first integral, and sqrt(r^2-y^2) and -sqrt(r^2-y^2)

is this correct so far?

ahmetbaba said:
well it is a sphere, we can say that the center of the sphere passes through (0,0,0) so if we calculate the top half, we can multiply by 2, to get the answer.

z=sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2)

the limits being -r and r for the first integral, and sqrt(r^2-y^2) and -sqrt(r^2-y^2)

is this correct so far?

You have the right idea. You might want to change your dxdy integral to polar coordinates to make it easier. If you do that, you might first change the r in the equation of the sphere to a so you don't confuse it with the r in polar coordinates. Good luck. I'm off to bed.

x2+y2+z2=r2 is a sphere..
try using spherical coordinates.
set up a triple integral, and do one integration to get to the double integral :)

Related to Setting up a double integral to find the volume

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical tool used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region in order to find the total volume within that region.

When do you use a double integral to find volume?

A double integral is used to find the volume of a shape when the shape cannot be easily divided into simpler shapes with known volume formulas. It is also used when the shape has varying cross-sectional areas.

How do you set up a double integral to find volume?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration. This involves finding the boundaries of the two-dimensional region over which you are integrating. Then, you need to choose an appropriate function to integrate, which represents the cross-sectional area of the shape at each point within the region. Finally, you integrate the function over the given limits to find the total volume.

Can a double integral be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape?

No, a double integral can only be used to find the volume of shapes with a constant cross-sectional area. For shapes with varying cross-sectional areas, a triple integral is needed.

Are there any real-world applications of using a double integral to find volume?

Yes, double integrals are commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects, such as the volume of a liquid in a container or the volume of a solid object with varying densities.