Setting up an Uncertainty Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum uncertainty in the velocity of a proton located within the nucleus of a gold atom with a radius of 6 fm. The problem can be treated as one-dimensional and the answer should be expressed as a fraction of c. The solution involves setting up the problem with a 3 fm position uncertainty and understanding the concept of position uncertainty in one-dimensional systems.
member 545369

Homework Statement

A proton is known to lie within the nucleus of a gold atom. The radius of a gold nucleus is approximately 6 fm. What is the minimum uncertainty in the proton’s velocity [you may treat the problem as one-dimensional and you should express your answer as a fraction of c].

Homework Equations

ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got this, but Chegg is showing up weird inconsistent answers. I just want to make sure my logic is sound:

So since we can treat this one dimensionally, we know that the proton lies within a 6fm range. For simplicity, we can (in our imaginations) draw a 6 fm line and put a point on the center. On that center, our uncertainty of the position of the proton is ± 3 fm. So our Δx should be 3fm instead of 6 fm!

The rest of the work is rather simple, I just want to make sure I'm setting this up properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 6 fm represents the radius of the nucleus.

TSny said:
The 6 fm represents the radius of the nucleus.

Not very helpful. I think my work shows that I understand this.

talrefae said:
Not very helpful. I think my work shows that I understand this.
No, it shows you thought the 6fm was a diameter.

Likes PeroK
Not that it would make a difference to this order of magnitude calculation, but if someone gave me a proton in a one-dimensional box that extends, say, from zero to 12 fm and asked "where is the proton?", I would say "somewhere between zero and 12 fm". So in such situations, I consider the position uncertainty to be the entire range in which the particle can be without me knowing any better.

haruspex said:
No, it shows you thought the 6fm was a diameter.

You're 100% right. Thanks for that!

Related to Setting up an Uncertainty Problem

1. What is an uncertainty problem?

An uncertainty problem is a scientific question or issue that involves unknown or unpredictable factors. It often requires the use of statistical methods and data analysis to better understand and quantify the uncertainty involved.

2. How do I set up an uncertainty problem?

First, clearly define the problem and identify the factors that contribute to the uncertainty. Then, collect relevant data and determine how to incorporate the uncertainty into your analysis. This may involve using probability distributions or conducting sensitivity analyses.

3. What are the common sources of uncertainty in scientific research?

Uncertainty can arise from a variety of sources, such as measurement error, sampling bias, model assumptions, and variability in natural systems. It is important to identify and address these sources of uncertainty in order to draw reliable conclusions from the data.

4. How can uncertainty be quantified?

Uncertainty can be quantified using statistical methods such as confidence intervals, standard error, and p-values. These measures provide a range of values within which the true value of a parameter is likely to fall, based on the data and assumptions used in the analysis.

5. How does uncertainty affect the interpretation of scientific results?

Uncertainty should always be considered when interpreting scientific results, as it can greatly impact the validity and reliability of conclusions. It is important to communicate the level of uncertainty and any limitations in the study to provide a more accurate understanding of the findings.