Setting up systems of equations

In summary, the problem states that Ann had 20 Cash less than Betty and that Ann spent 3/4 of her money while Betty spent 4/5 of hers. The remainder of Ann's money was 5/6 of Betty's remainder. To solve for x, the equation x/4 = x/6 + 10/3 is used, which simplifies to 3x = 2x + 40 and leads to the solution x = 40. However, it is unclear how the 50 in 50/3 is included in this equation.
TracyThomas
I have this problem in my book:
Ann had 20(Cash) less than Betty. Ann spent 3/4 of her money, while Betty spent 4/5 of hers. Then Ann's remainder was 5/6 of Betty's remainder. If Ann had x(Cash) originally, form an equation in x and solve it.

And this solution in the answer key:

x=Ann's (Cash) x+20=Betty's (Cash)

Remainder of Ann's money = 1/4x
Remainder of Betty's money = 1/5(x+20)

1/4x = 5/6 (1/5(x + 20))
x/4 = x/6 + 50/3

12(x/4) = 12(x/6) + 12(50/3)
3x = 2x + 40
Survey says:

x = 40

The question is: How did the 50 in 50/3 get there?
(Wondering) (Worried) Can someone please explain that step so both me and my homeschool teacher can understand it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Ann & Betty got rich $$$--But where did the 50 come from?

TracyThomas said:
I have this problem in my book:
Ann had 20(Cash) less than Betty. Ann spent 3/4 of her money, while Betty spent 4/5 of hers. Then Ann's remainder was 5/6 of Betty's remainder. If Ann had x(Cash) originally, form an equation in x and solve it.

And this solution in the answer key:

x=Ann's (Cash) x+20=Betty's (Cash)

Remainder of Ann's money = 1/4x
Remainder of Betty's money = 1/5(x+20)

1/4x = 5/6 (1/5(x + 20))
x/4 = x/6 + 50/3

I agree with the setup (usually the hard part!) You are right to question this last step, though. I would do this:

x/4 = 5/6 (x/5 + 4)
x/4 = x/6 + 20/6 = x/6 + 10/3
12 (x/4 = x/6 + 10/3)
3x = 2x + 40
x = 40.

I think it's a question of incorrect processes somehow coming to the right answer.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure I understand how the 50 got in there, but perhaps a correct (I hope) sequence of steps will clear things up.

12(x/4) = 12(x/6) + 12(50/3)
3x = 2x + 40
Survey says:

x = 40

The question is: How did the 50 in 50/3 get there?
(Wondering) (Worried) Can someone please explain that step so both me and my homeschool teacher can understand it?

Re: Ann & Betty got rich $$$--But where did the 50 come from?

Thanks! I haven't found ANY errors in the Singapore Math textbook answer keys in many years of using the program, but this answer key is written by someone else, I think, so I suppose it could be in error.

Ackbach said:
I agree with the setup (usually the hard part!) You are right to question this last step, though. I would do this:

x/4 = 5/6 (x/5 + 4)
x/4 = x/6 + 20/6 = x/6 + 10/3
12 (x/4 = x/6 + 10/3)
3x = 2x + 40
x = 40.

I think it's a question of incorrect processes somehow coming to the right answer.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure I understand how the 50 got in there, but perhaps a correct (I hope) sequence of steps will clear things up.

Related to Setting up systems of equations

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that involve the same set of variables. It is used to solve for the values of these variables by finding the intersection points of the equations.

Why are systems of equations important?

Systems of equations are important because they allow us to model and solve real-world problems that involve multiple variables. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What are the different methods for solving systems of equations?

There are several methods for solving systems of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and is more suitable for certain types of problems.

How do I know which method to use for solving a particular system of equations?

The method you choose will depend on the type of equations given and your personal preference. Some methods may be easier to use for certain types of equations, so it is important to practice and become familiar with all of them.

Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, zero, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the number of variables and the relationships between the equations. For example, two parallel lines will have no intersection point and therefore no solution.