Shallow wave equations (First order quasilinear systems)

In summary, the conversation is about trying to show the shallow wave equations for a shallow channel of water with one free surface. The pressure is nearly hydrostatic and equal to P(x,t)=ρg(h-y). The person is struggling to show that ρ(u_{t}+u u_{x})=-P_{x}=-ρgh_{x}, and is attempting to use the Navier Stokes equation to do so. However, the book suggests that it should be a spatial derivative, which the person finds confusing.
gash789

Homework Statement

I am trying to show the shallow wave equations (Pg 35 Ockendon). For a shallow channel of water, with one free surface h(x,t) that runs parallel to the x-axis, the fluid has a constant density and the pressure is nearly hydrostatic and equal to P(x,t)=ρg(h-y)

Homework Equations

I have already shown that
[itex]
h_{t}+[hu]_{x}=0
[/itex]
But I am struggling to show
[itex]
\rho\left(u_{t}+u u_{x}\right)=-P_{x}=-\rho g h_{x}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have begun by trying to show using the Navier Stokes equation that
[itex]
\rho\left(u_{t}+u u_{x}\right)=b
[/itex]

where b is a "sink or source of momentum". This implied to me that it is a rate of change of momentum such as
[itex]
P_{t}
[/itex]
of which could be solved using the original equation for the pressure, but the equation the book has suggests it should be a spatial derivative. This does not make sense to me?

Just to be clear
[itex]h_{x}=\frac{\partial h}{\partial x} [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
u_{x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}u_{t}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} P_{x}=\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}

FAQ: Shallow wave equations (First order quasilinear systems)

1. What are shallow wave equations?

Shallow wave equations are mathematical models used to describe the behavior of waves in shallow water, where the depth of the water is much smaller than the wavelength of the wave. They are commonly used in oceanography, meteorology, and geophysics.

2. What is the difference between first order and second order shallow wave equations?

First order shallow wave equations are based on a linearized version of the equations of motion, while second order shallow wave equations take into account nonlinear effects such as wave steepening and breaking. Second order equations are more accurate but also more complex to solve.

3. What are quasilinear systems in the context of shallow wave equations?

Quasilinear systems are mathematical models that involve both linear and nonlinear terms. In the context of shallow wave equations, this means that the equations of motion are linear except for terms that depend on the wave's amplitude, which introduces nonlinear behavior.

4. What are the applications of shallow wave equations?

Shallow wave equations have a wide range of applications, including predicting the behavior of ocean waves, modeling storm surges, and understanding the dynamics of tsunamis. They are also used in engineering for designing coastal structures and offshore platforms.

5. How are shallow wave equations solved?

Shallow wave equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions are only possible for simplified versions of the equations or in certain special cases. Numerical methods involve discretizing the equations and solving them using computer algorithms. Some commonly used numerical methods for solving shallow wave equations include finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods.

Back