Shear and Moment diagrams/calculations

In summary, the person asking the question was trying to understand how to properly calculate the shear and moment diagrams for a beam. They were confused about why different techniques were giving different answers and how to properly take cuts to calculate shear. The expert advised them to always include one end of the beam when taking a cut for accurate results and to avoid singularities when cutting directly at a concentrated load. They also mentioned the possibility of needing an additional step if the cut does not include an end piece and the value of one of the moments at one end is not known.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the beam shown and find the bending moment M at section C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the correct answer for Mc but I'm confused on a few things.
I get different answers using different techniques for different aspects of this problem. Take my shear diagrams for example. You can see two sections to the lower right trying to calculate shear in between forces (I wanted to confirm between techniques) but they aren't adding up. 1.5' to the right of the 1000lb downward force, the shear should be 1000 up right? If I cut it into a section? But it doesn't coincide with my diagram.

Also, if I add up all the areas under my shear lines, I get -730.9. Shouldn't I get 0?

BTW, I know my moment diagram is off, I have since changed it but don't have the copy to scan, this is an old copy.

5-123.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
frozenguy said:

Homework Statement

Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the beam shown and find the bending moment M at section C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the correct answer for Mc but I'm confused on a few things.
I get different answers using different techniques for different aspects of this problem. Take my shear diagrams for example. You can see two sections to the lower right trying to calculate shear in between forces (I wanted to confirm between techniques) but they aren't adding up. 1.5' to the right of the 1000lb downward force, the shear should be 1000 up right?
No. When you cut the section, there are forces and moments on that section. Draw a free body diagram of the section between the cut and one end of the beam. Then sum forces in the y direction to get the shear on the cut section. Your shear diagram is correct.
Also, if I add up all the areas under my shear lines, I get -730.9. Shouldn't I get 0?
did you properly take into account the plus and minus values, and check the shear values at the height of the rectangles? The areas do sum to zero.

PhanthomJay said:
No. When you cut the section, there are forces and moments on that section. Draw a free body diagram of the section between the cut and one end of the beam. Then sum forces in the y direction to get the shear on the cut section. Your shear diagram is correct. did you properly take into account the plus and minus values, and check the shear values at the height of the rectangles? The areas do sum to zero.
Hey thanks for your help!

Ok so when I cut a section, I have to make sure it includes one end of the beam? I can't just take a cut from the middle?

Because if I cut at 6' and cut again at 7.5 feet so I have a section representing 1.5 feet with 1000lb concentrated force acting downwards on the left portion, summing up y gives me 1000. So I do i have to include the rest of the beam to the right or left?

frozenguy said:
Hey thanks for your help!

Ok so when I cut a section, I have to make sure it includes one end of the beam? I can't just take a cut from the middle?
you could, but then you would have unknown forces and moments at each end of the cut 'middle' section, and you would not be able to directly solve for the shear without doing another step first. When you include one end of the beam, you know the reaction or applied force at those points, so it's a one step operation to get the shear at the cut section.
Because if I cut at 6' and cut again at 7.5 feet so I have a section representing 1.5 feet with 1000lb concentrated force acting downwards on the left portion, summing up y gives me 1000. So I do i have to include the rest of the beam to the right or left?
Never cut directly at a concentrated force, you get into singularities where the shear is changing over 0 distance. Instead, cut to right or left of the load, even if the cut is just an infinitesimal distance away.

PhanthomJay said:
you could, but then you would have unknown forces and moments at each end of the cut 'middle' section, and you would not be able to directly solve for the shear without doing another step first. When you include one end of the beam, you know the reaction or applied force at those points, so it's a one step operation to get the shear at the cut section.Never cut directly at a concentrated force, you get into singularities where the shear is changing over 0 distance. Instead, cut to right or left of the load, even if the cut is just an infinitesimal distance away.

Ok I'm almost there i think haha.

So to just do it in one step, I must include one end of the beam.

If I take a cut without including an end piece, i must take it away/around a concentrated load and apply an initial step? I don't remember learning another steps. Do you know if this is a step that might be taught in a statics class? I guess as long as I include an end I'll be fine..

Thanks for your help again!

frozenguy said:
Ok I'm almost there i think haha.

So to just do it in one step, I must include one end of the beam.
generally speaking, yes.
If I take a cut without including an end piece, i must take it away/around a concentrated load and apply an initial step?
Yes, because you get unknown shears and moments at each end of the cut section when you do it that way. So it gets you nowhere, unless, from a prior step, you know the value of one of the moments at one end of the cut.
I don't remember learning another steps. Do you know if this is a step that might be taught in a statics class? I guess as long as I include an end I'll be fine..

Thanks for your help again!
That other step would be to determine the moment at one end of the cut from another free body of a different section. Just forget about it, and include an end.

Related to Shear and Moment diagrams/calculations

What are shear and moment diagrams?

Shear and moment diagrams are graphical representations of the internal forces and moments within a structural element, such as a beam. They are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of a structure under various loads.

Why are shear and moment diagrams important?

Shear and moment diagrams help engineers and scientists understand how a structure will behave under different loading conditions. They can also be used to determine the maximum allowable load for a structure, as well as identify potential weak points or areas of high stress.

How are shear and moment diagrams calculated?

Shear and moment diagrams are typically calculated using equations and principles from statics and mechanics. These calculations take into account the geometry and material properties of the structure, as well as the applied loads and supports. Advanced computer programs can also be used to generate shear and moment diagrams for more complex structures.

What is the difference between shear and moment?

Shear is the force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a structural element, while moment is the rotational force that acts perpendicular to the cross-section. In simpler terms, shear is the force that tries to make a structure slide or slip, while moment is the force that tries to make a structure bend or twist.

How do shear and moment diagrams help in structural design?

Shear and moment diagrams are essential tools in the design of safe and efficient structures. They allow engineers to understand the internal forces and stresses within a structure, which helps them determine the appropriate size and shape of structural elements, as well as select materials with suitable strength and stiffness. These diagrams also aid in optimizing the design to minimize weight and cost while still meeting structural requirements.