Shear Center for Open Thin-Walled Members

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual question about a beam with a C-shaped cross section and a downward applied force causing counter-clockwise shear flow. The question is about the relationship between the applied force and the clock-wise reaction force that causes the beam to twist. The conversation also mentions a possible mistake in the textbook and includes relevant equations. The questioner is looking for an explanation for why the beam twists in the way shown in the example picture.
ShamelessGit

Homework Statement

There is a section in my book that has the same title as the title of this discussion topic. I understand the math just fine, so this is a conceptual question. In the book the cross section is shaped and oriented like a C, and it shows the shear flow flowing counter-clock-wise because there is a downward applied force, however it says that the twist in the beam is caused by the clock-wise reaction force within the beam.

My question is, what is the applied force doing while the beam is twisting? For a simple bending case you can easily see that the beam will bend in the direction of the applied force and the reaction force will get larger as the beam bends until it reaches equilibrium. However in this case because the twist is caused by the reactionary force, it makes it seem like the reaction force is larger than the applied force when it is first applied and gets smaller as it twists until it reaches equilibrium. How can this be?

This is very strange for me because they show an example picture of a beam twisting and it seems intuitive that it twists in that way, and given that it twists in that way the eccentricity makes sense, but I can't justify why it twists that way in any way. It is possible that the author explained it wrong because I have caught conceptual mistakes in the textbook before (in topics that I actually understood), but of course I don't know if that's the case here.

Homework Equations

they have this equation e = Fd/P, but that isn't relevant to my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just trying to include all the necessary information.The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure how to answer this question since it's a conceptual one. I've tried to think of some possible explanations but they don't seem to make sense. I'm hoping someone can help explain this to me.

FAQ: Shear Center for Open Thin-Walled Members

1. What is the Shear Center for Open Thin-Walled Members?

The Shear Center is a point on a thin-walled member that experiences no twisting or bending under shear loads. It is the point at which shear forces can be applied without causing any torsional or bending deformation in the member.

2. How is the Shear Center determined?

The Shear Center is determined through calculations or experiments, taking into account the geometry and material properties of the thin-walled member. It is typically located at the centroid of the cross-section or at a distance from the centroid based on the cross-section's moment of inertia and shear modulus.

3. Why is the Shear Center important in structural analysis?

The Shear Center is important because it affects the distribution of shear forces and bending moments in a thin-walled member. It is crucial to accurately determine the Shear Center in order to properly analyze the member's response to loading and design it to withstand these forces.

4. Can the Shear Center change location?

Yes, the Shear Center can change location if the thin-walled member experiences geometric changes, such as warping or twisting, or if the material properties are altered. It is important to re-evaluate the Shear Center in these cases to ensure accurate analysis and design.

5. Are there any design considerations for the Shear Center?

Yes, designers must consider the location of the Shear Center when designing thin-walled members to ensure they can withstand shear forces and bending moments without excessive deformation. They may also need to incorporate additional structural elements, such as stiffeners or bracing, to help distribute loads and maintain the integrity of the Shear Center.