Shear Diagram - Beam with 3 supports

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the reactions and drawing a shear diagram for a compound supported beam using statics equations. The person asking the question was struggling with formulating the equations and was seeking clarification on the correct method. Another person joined the conversation and provided guidance on how to approach the problem.
teeth

Homework Statement

Draw the shear diagram for the compound supported beam.
7uMqg.png

Homework Equations

Statics... so sum of moments at any point or forces in any direction are 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the forces in the y direction, as well as the moments at A and moments at B, but using these 3 equations causes the variables to cancel out when solving for the reactions. I get 0 = 0...
I guess I cannot use two moment equations, but then how am I to solve this? I'm in first year statics.

My equations are...
[tex]0 = \sum F_y = A_y + B_y + D_y -3*6 - 5[/tex]
[tex]0 = \sum M_A = B_y*3 + D_y*9 -3*6*3 - 5*7.5[/tex]
[tex]0 = \sum M_B = -A_y*3 + D_y*6 - 5*4.5[/tex]
Counter-clockwise moment is positive

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a pinned joint at point C. Try splitting the single beam into two parts: A-B-C and C-D. Write separate equations of static equilibrium for each piece of the beam. What's the bending moment at point C?

Sorry, is the bending moment at C zero?
I tried getting isolating for [tex]C_y[/tex] but I keep getting [tex]C_y = 0[/tex]
Is the upward force at pin C the same as the "shear force" at C?

teeth said:
Sorry, is the bending moment at C zero?

Yes. The pin cannot develop a moment.

I tried getting isolating for [tex]C_y[/tex] but I keep getting [tex]C_y = 0[/tex]
Is the upward force at pin C the same as the "shear force" at C?

If you write equilibrium equations for beam C-D, you'll see that Cy cannot be zero.

teeth said:

Homework Statement

Draw the shear diagram for the compound supported beam.
7uMqg.png

Homework Equations

Statics... so sum of moments at any point or forces in any direction are 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the forces in the y direction, as well as the moments at A and moments at B, but using these 3 equations causes the variables to cancel out when solving for the reactions. I get 0 = 0...
I guess I cannot use two moment equations, but then how am I to solve this? I'm in first year statics.

My equations are...
[tex]0 = \sum F_y = A_y + B_y + D_y -3*6 - 5[/tex]
[tex]0 = \sum M_A = B_y*3 + D_y*9 -3*6*3 - 5*7.5[/tex]
[tex]0 = \sum M_B = -A_y*3 + D_y*6 - 5*4.5[/tex]
Counter-clockwise moment is positive

Hi Teeth, I had a query.

By taking the moments about Point A and B, You have formulated the equations 2 and 3.
Is this way of generating equations right ?

Looking forward to a reply from you soon.

Aman Ratan
Thanks

Aman Ratan said:
Hi Teeth, I had a query.

By taking the moments about Point A and B, You have formulated the equations 2 and 3.
Is this way of generating equations right ?

Looking forward to a reply from you soon.

Aman Ratan
Thanks
Teeth hasn't been around PF since posting this question a year and a half ago, so I hope you are not looking for a reply any time soon.

PF generally frowns on resurrecting old posts like this.

It is OK to link to an old post if you have a particular question about it, but you should start your own thread in that case.

Likes Aman Ratan
SteamKing said:
Teeth hasn't been around PF since posting this question a year and a half ago, so I hope you are not looking for a reply any time soon.

PF generally frowns on resurrecting old posts like this.

It is OK to link to an old post if you have a particular question about it, but you should start your own thread in that case.

Thanks SteamKing

Related to Shear Diagram - Beam with 3 supports

1. What is a Shear Diagram?

A Shear Diagram is a graphical representation of the shear force along the length of a beam. It shows the magnitude and direction of the shear force at every point along the beam.

2. What is the importance of a Shear Diagram?

A Shear Diagram is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the maximum shear force that a beam can withstand before it fails. It also aids in understanding the distribution of forces within a beam and allows for the selection of appropriate materials and dimensions for a beam.

3. How is a Shear Diagram constructed?

A Shear Diagram is constructed by first calculating the support reactions at each end of the beam. Then, the shear force at each point along the beam is determined by taking into account any point loads, distributed loads, and reactions. The shear force is plotted on the diagram and connected with straight lines to create a continuous curve.

4. What are the types of supports in a Shear Diagram?

The three most common types of supports in a Shear Diagram are fixed supports, roller supports, and pin supports. Fixed supports prevent both vertical and horizontal movement of the beam, roller supports allow for only vertical movement, and pin supports allow for both vertical and horizontal movement.

5. How many supports are needed for a Shear Diagram?

A minimum of three supports are needed for a Shear Diagram to accurately represent the forces acting on a beam. This is because there are three unknown support reactions (vertical, horizontal, and moment) that need to be calculated in order to plot the shear force at any point along the beam.