Sheldon ross two sevens before 6 evens

• Thread starter mattclgn
  • Start date
In summary: S,where S is the sum of the first 6 terms of a geometric sequence with initial term 1 and common ratio 3/4. In summary, the probability of getting 2 sevens before 6 even numbers in successive rolls of a pair of fair dice is (1/4)^2 (3/4) S, where S is the sum of the first 6 terms of a geometric sequence with initial term 1 and common ratio 3/4.
mattclgn
There was a thread on this problem but It was closed and I am still having problems even having read it.

Homework Statement

In successive rolls of a pair of fair dice, what is the probability of getting 2
sevens before 6 even numbers?

Homework Equations

Let A, B and C be the events that you get a seven, and even number, or neither on a given roll,
respectively. Thus
P(A) = 6/36
P(B) = 18/36
P(C) = 1 − P(A) − P(B) = 1/3

The Attempt at a Solution

This had a solution http://www.math.duke.edu/~wka/math135/until.pdf
and there was one at this forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=656455
but I could not fully understand the answers (doing an independent study to I do not have a teacher I can just ask)
UC davis had an answer that made a bit more sense https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~gravner/MAT135A/hw4.pdf but still fell short of a coherent explanation.

I'll address my problem with that first.
I get why we subtract the first part from one. probability 6 evens 0 sevens plus probability 1 seven exactly multiplied by 6 evens ALL subtracted from one. But shouldn't that be .5^6 for both of them?

The duke one was even more troublesome
for this part = 1 P(A) + 0 P(B) + P(E0)P(C)
C should be 1/3* probability I roll j number of evens on the first roll given l neither evens nor 7 on the first roll?
Why do I treat it as though C is unknown and as though (E0lC)(C) is the same as E0

I was at a complete loss for the second
= 0 P(A) + P(Ej−1)P(B) + P(Ej )P(C)

why is P(Ej |even on the first roll)P(even on the first roll) equal to P(Ej−1)P(B)...so I factor out the first even?

what are the steps that take (1 − P(C))P(Ej ) = P(Ej−1)P(B)
to the next part? Why is it all to the j power? I think i might be missing some rules of Geometric series. Or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattclgn said:
There was a thread on this problem but It was closed and I am still having problems even having read it.

Homework Statement

In successive rolls of a pair of fair dice, what is the probability of getting 2
sevens before 6 even numbers?

Homework Equations

Let A, B and C be the events that you get a seven, and even number, or neither on a given roll,
respectively. Thus
P(A) = 6/36
P(B) = 18/36
P(C) = 1 − P(A) − P(B) = 1/3

The Attempt at a Solution

This had a solution http://www.math.duke.edu/~wka/math135/until.pdf
and there was one at this forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=656455
but I could not fully understand the answers (doing an independent study to I do not have a teacher I can just ask)
UC davis had an answer that made a bit more sense https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~gravner/MAT135A/hw4.pdf but still fell short of a coherent explanation.

I'll address my problem with that first.
I get why we subtract the first part from one. probability 6 evens 0 sevens plus probability 1 seven exactly multiplied by 6 evens ALL subtracted from one. But shouldn't that be .5^6 for both of them?

The duke one was even more troublesome
for this part = 1 P(A) + 0 P(B) + P(E0)P(C)
C should be 1/3* probability I roll j number of evens on the first roll given l neither evens nor 7 on the first roll?
Why do I treat it as though C is unknown and as though (E0lC)(C) is the same as E0

I was at a complete loss for the second
= 0 P(A) + P(Ej−1)P(B) + P(Ej )P(C)

why is P(Ej |even on the first roll)P(even on the first roll) equal to P(Ej−1)P(B)...so I factor out the first even?

what are the steps that take (1 − P(C))P(Ej ) = P(Ej−1)P(B)
to the next part? Why is it all to the j power? I think i might be missing some rules of Geometric series. Or something.

The answer in your Duke link is straightforward to get, but not using the argument in the link itself. It is much easier to proceed directly.

At some stage during the tossing procedure, we are in state (i,j), meaning that we already have accumulated i 7s and j evens. Another (relevant) toss takes us to either (i+1,j) (with probability q = 1/4) or to state (i,j+1) (with probability p = 3/4). We start at (0,0) and want to know the probability of reaching one of the states (2,j), 0 <= j <= 5. It is quite easy to count paths in this case: there are (j+1) distinct paths from (0,0) to (2,j), and each such path has probability q^2 * p^j. Therefore, the event A = {get 2 7s before 6 Es} has probability
[tex] P(A) =
\sum_{j=0}^5 (j+1) q^2 p^j = (1/4)^2 \sum_{j=0}^5 (j+1)(3/4)^j [/tex]

FAQ: Sheldon ross two sevens before 6 evens

1. What is the concept of "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens"?

"Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens" is a mathematical game where a player rolls a pair of dice and tries to roll two sevens before rolling six evens.

2. How do you play "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens"?

To play "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens", the player rolls a pair of dice. If they roll two sevens before rolling six evens, they win. If they roll six evens before rolling two sevens, they lose.

3. What is the probability of winning in "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens"?

The probability of winning in "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens" is approximately 0.583 or 58.3%, since there are 36 possible outcomes when rolling a pair of dice and only 21 of those outcomes result in a win.

4. Are there any strategies for increasing the chances of winning in "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens"?

No, there are no known strategies that can increase the chances of winning in "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens". The outcome of each roll is completely random and cannot be influenced by any strategy.

5. Can "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens" be applied in real life situations?

Yes, "Sheldon Ross two sevens before 6 evens" can be used as a model for various real-life scenarios involving probability, such as gambling or decision making. However, it should be noted that the game is purely theoretical and does not guarantee the same outcomes in real life situations.