Shell Side Fluid Velocity of Baffled HX & Re - Nobody knows last resort

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of shell side fluid velocity and Reynolds number for a Shell&Tube HX with baffles. The known parameters include mass flow, number of tubes and baffles, tube bundle length, shell inside diameter, and volumetric flow rate. The design engineer is having difficulty finding equations for the shell side, while the book mentioned by Matt is recommended as a helpful resource.
PHYS&MECHE
Shell Side Fluid Velocity of Baffled HX & Re -- Nobody knows last resort

Problem:
I need to know how to calculate the shell side fluid velocity for a Shell&Tube HX with *Baffles*. Also, the reynolds number for this flow

Known:
ms -Mass flow on shell side
Nt -Number of tubes
Lt -Length of tube bundle
Nb - Number of Baffles
Dis -Inside Diameter of Shell
Vs -Volumetric flow rate

--Also I know all fluid properties for shell side fluid i.e. Cp, rho, viscosity...

Comments: I have completed this for the tube side it was very simple but the shell side is difficult and can not find any equations to apply.

Design Engineer needing help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

I will have to order the book I can't seem to figure it out. Thank you.

FAQ: Shell Side Fluid Velocity of Baffled HX & Re - Nobody knows last resort

1. What is the purpose of baffles in a heat exchanger?

Baffles are used in a heat exchanger to increase the heat transfer efficiency by creating turbulence in the shell side fluid. This helps to reduce the thickness of the boundary layer and increase the overall heat transfer coefficient.

2. How does the shell side fluid velocity affect the heat transfer in a baffled heat exchanger?

The shell side fluid velocity plays a crucial role in the heat transfer process in a baffled heat exchanger. Higher velocities can result in increased turbulence and therefore, improved heat transfer. However, excessively high velocities can also lead to pressure drop and flow instability.

3. How is the shell side fluid velocity calculated in a baffled heat exchanger?

The shell side fluid velocity can be calculated by dividing the volumetric flow rate of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the shell. This is typically done using the following formula: V = Q / A, where V is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area.

4. What is the relationship between the baffles and the shell side fluid velocity in a heat exchanger?

The baffles in a heat exchanger serve to create turbulence in the shell side fluid, which in turn affects the fluid velocity. The size, shape, and orientation of the baffles can impact the velocity and therefore, the heat transfer efficiency of the heat exchanger.

5. What are the factors that influence the optimal shell side fluid velocity in a baffled heat exchanger?

The optimal shell side fluid velocity in a baffled heat exchanger depends on various factors such as the design and size of the baffles, fluid properties, flow rate, and heat transfer requirements. It is important to carefully consider all these factors to determine the most efficient velocity for a specific heat exchanger.