Ship Disappearance Distance and Asymptotic Geometry

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
I did not get the distance to be ##\sqrt{2\epsilon}##. Here is my work:In summary, for an observer watching a ship sail away from shore, if the ship's height is ##\epsilon \ll 1## after scaling with the radius of the Earth, the distance the ship disappears will be approximately ##\sqrt{2\epsilon}##. This can be shown by considering the observer, the top of the ship, and the center of the Earth as three relevant points, and using the small angle approximation for cosine. Additionally, for small angles, there would be a noticeable difference between the distance to the bottom of the ship and the top of the ship. However, for a low-order approximation, the
member 428835

Homework Statement

An observer from sea level watches a ship sail away from shore. If the ships height is ##\epsilon \ll 1## after scaling with the radius of the earth, show that the distance the ship disappears will be about ##\sqrt{2\epsilon}##.

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure where to start here. I'm thinking of a sort of right triangle made with the observer, the ship base, and the ship height, but I just don't know the distance between the ship and observer.

I imagine the square root appears from the pythagorean theorem (the three points being the observer, ship base and ship height) though I'm unsure. Anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to take into account the curvature of the earth.

Chestermiller said:
You have to take into account the curvature of the earth.
So the distance ##d## between the observer and the ship's base would be ##d=r\theta##, ##r## being the Earth's radius, but I don't know what ##\theta## is.

joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

An observer from sea level watches a ship sail away from shore. If the ships height is ##\epsilon \ll 1## after scaling with the radius of the earth, show that the distance the ship disappears will be about ##\sqrt{2\epsilon}##.

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

Not quite sure where to start here. I'm thinking of a sort of right triangle made with the observer, the ship base, and the ship height, but I just don't know the distance between the ship and observer.

I imagine the square root appears from the pythagorean theorem (the three points being the observer, ship base and ship height) though I'm unsure. Anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Start by making a sketch of the situation, so you can see what is going on. Then you will be better able to translate that into equations and formulas.

Likes epenguin and Chestermiller
Ray Vickson said:
Start by making a sketch of the situation, so you can see what is going on. Then you will be better able to translate that into equations and formulas.
Yea, I did this right away, but all I know is the Earth's radius and the ship height. It just feels open ended.

joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

Actually, the three relevant points are the observer, the top of the ship and the center of the earth. If w is the angle between the observer and the ship (as measured from the center of the earth) you can get the observer-ship distance in terms of the Earth's radius and the angle w.

Ray Vickson said:
Actually, the three relevant points are the observer, the top of the ship and the center of the earth. If w is the angle between the observer and the ship (as measured from the center of the earth) you can get the observer-ship distance in terms of the Earth's radius and the angle w.
I think I did this in Post 3. In this case the distance would be ##rw##. I could find the distance from the observer and the top of the ship too if you think this is relevant?

joshmccraney said:
I think I did this in Post 3. In this case the distance would be ##rw##. I could find the distance from the observer and the top of the ship too if you think this is relevant?

If ##\epsilon## is much smaller than the Earth's radius, do you think there would be any noticeable difference between the distance to the bottom of the ship vs. the top of the ship? Of course, the answer is YES if you want exact results, but you being asked about "lowest-order" approximate answers. What is your answer in that case?

Ray Vickson said:
If ##\epsilon## is much smaller than the Earth's radius, do you think there would be any noticeable difference between the distance to the bottom of the ship vs. the top of the ship? Of course, the answer is YES if you want exact results, but you being asked about "lowest-order" approximate answers. What is your answer in that case?
The walking distance along the Earth would still be ##d = rw##. The distance from one point to another would be ##\sqrt{2r^2(1-\cos w)}##. However, the distance from the viewer to the top of the boat is $$\sqrt{r^2+(r+h)^2-2 r(r+h)\cos w}=\sqrt{2r^2+2rh+h^2-2 r^2\cos w-rh\cos w}\\
= r\sqrt{2+2\epsilon+\epsilon^2-2\cos w - \epsilon\cos w}.$$
If ##w \approx 0## (not very far along the total circumference) then ##\cos w \approx 1 \implies d = r\sqrt{2\epsilon}## (ignoring ##\epsilon^2##).

joshmccraney said:
The walking distance along the Earth would still be ##d = rw##. The distance from one point to another would be ##\sqrt{2r^2(1-\cos w)}##.

Yes, but you are supposed to be working with a low-order approximation for small ##w##. What then?

Likes member 428835
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, but you are supposed to be working with a low-order approximation for small ##w##. What then?
Shoot I think I was editing and posted the response you were looking for? See post 9.

I did this much differently. I had: $$\cos{\theta}=\cos{(s/r)}=\frac{r}{h+r}$$
where s is the arc length along the great circle. Using the small angle approximation for cosine, I get:
$$\cos{\theta}\approx 1-\frac{\theta^2}{2}\approx 1-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{s}{r}\right)^2$$Also, assuming h<<r, $$\frac{r}{h+r}\approx1-\frac{h}{r}$$

joshmccraney said:
Shoot I think I was editing and posted the response you were looking for? See post 9.

OK now.

Alternatively...
We have a right triangle with sides ##r##, ##r+\epsilon##, and the distance ##d##.
We can neglect any differences between the arc length and the side of the triangle corresponding to the distance.
Now apply Pythagoras:
$$d=\sqrt{(r+\epsilon)^2 - r^2}=...$$

Likes Chestermiller
Wow lots of different ways people are solving this! I'm going to mark it solved. Thanks for everyone's perspective!

Related to Ship Disappearance Distance and Asymptotic Geometry

1. What is asymptotic geometry?

Asymptotic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometric properties of objects as their size or scale approaches infinity. It is concerned with the behavior of geometric objects in the limit, rather than their exact properties.

2. How is asymptotic geometry related to topology?

Asymptotic geometry and topology are closely related fields. In fact, asymptotic geometry can be seen as a subfield of topology, focusing specifically on the behavior of geometric objects in the limit. Both fields study the properties of geometric objects, but topology is concerned with the more general properties, while asymptotic geometry focuses on the behavior in the limit.

3. What are some applications of asymptotic geometry?

Asymptotic geometry has applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of systems or structures that become large, such as networks, crystals, or geometric shapes in materials.

4. Can asymptotic geometry be applied to non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, asymptotic geometry can be applied to non-Euclidean spaces. While it is traditionally studied in the context of Euclidean spaces, the principles and concepts of asymptotic geometry can be extended to other types of spaces, such as hyperbolic or spherical spaces.

5. What are some open problems in asymptotic geometry?

There are many open problems in asymptotic geometry, and new ones are constantly being discovered. Some current open problems include the classification of asymptotic invariants, the study of higher-dimensional analogues of asymptotic geometry, and the development of new techniques for studying geometric objects in the limit.