SHM - Horizontal Spring Question

In summary, the velocity of a 41g object attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 15N/m and released from rest with an amplitude of 22.4cm is 0.0677 m/s when it is halfway to the equilibrium position. This is calculated using the equation V = (wA)^2, where w is the square root of the spring constant divided by the mass and A is the amplitude.
GX255
1. A 41g object is attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 15N/m and released from rest with an amplitude of 22.4cm. What is the velocity of the object when it is halfway to the equilibrium position if the surface is frictionless? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

W=Square Root of (K/m)
1m=100cm
V^2+(wx)^2=(wA)^2
w= omega
A= Amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

K= 15N/m
m= 41kg
A=22.4cm=0.224m
W=sq root of K/m = 0.605

V^2=(wA)^2
V = 0.0677

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since equilibrium halfway x should = 0 ?

Halfway to the equilibrium position would be half the amplitude.

I have the same problem. I set it up two different ways.
v^2=k/mA^2-K/mx^2, then square root
A-full amplitude
X-half the amplitude
or
v=[(k/m)(A^2*X^2)]^(-1/2)

but none worked.

I'm pretty sure I'm setting up the amplitude stuff wrong.

Related to SHM - Horizontal Spring Question

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force.

2. What is a horizontal spring?

A horizontal spring is a type of mechanical spring that is oriented horizontally, meaning it is parallel to the ground. It is used to store and release potential energy when compressed or stretched.

3. How does a horizontal spring work in relation to SHM?

A horizontal spring can exhibit SHM when an object is attached to one end of the spring and pulled away from its equilibrium position. The spring then exerts a restoring force that causes the object to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium point.

4. What factors affect the frequency of SHM in a horizontal spring?

The frequency of SHM in a horizontal spring is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant (a measure of stiffness), and the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) of the oscillations.

5. How is SHM in a horizontal spring used in real life?

SHM in a horizontal spring is used in various applications, such as in clocks and watches to regulate time, in car suspensions to absorb shock, and in musical instruments to produce sound. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the properties of oscillating systems.

Back