Shm question -- a mass hanging on a spring vertically set into motion

In summary, a mass on a spring hanging vertically is oscillating between 2m and 1.5m above the floor completing 32 cycles in one minute. The function h=acos(pi t / 180) +c models the height, h metres, of the mass above the floor after t seconds, where a, b, and c are constants. To determine the period, T, in seconds per cycle, the frequency is calculated as 32/60 cycles per second. The value of b can then be found by using the equation T=2pi/pi b/180. By considering the extremes of the oscillation, the values of a and c can be determined as the center is 1.75m and the amplitude
jiboom
A mass on the end of a spring which is hanging vertically is raised up and let go. It then oscillates between 2m and 1.5m above the floor and completes 32 cycles in one minute. The height, h metres, of the mass above the floor after t seconds can be modeled by the function h=acos(pi t / 180) +c where a, b and c are constants.

(a) Determine exactly the period, T, of the oscillation in seconds per cycle and hence find the value of b.

(b) By considering the extremes of the oscillation, work out the values of a and c.

(c) Calculate exactly the value of h when t = 25 seconds.

(d) Find the first time when h = 1.75 metres.

(e) Sketch the graph of h against t for , labelling axes and critical values carefully.
Can I just check my answers please
For first part I have said frequency is 32/60 per sec
Period is 2pi/pi b/180 to give me b
Then I have said this is just shm moved up distance c so
Center is 2+1.5 /2 =1.75
Amplitude is .25 so A is .25
And at t=0 H=2=A+C giving me C

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jiboom said:
h=acos(pi t / 180) +c where a, b and c are constants.
You missed b. Is it h=acos(pi b t / 180) +c?
jiboom said:
For first part I have said frequency is 32/60 per sec
Period is 2pi/pi b/180 to give me b
OK, but giving you what value for b?
jiboom said:
Center is 2+1.5 /2 =1.75
Amplitude is .25 so A is .25
Yes.

haruspex said:
You missed b. Is it h=acos(pi b t / 180) +c?

OK, but giving you what value for b?

Yes.
Yes the b should be as in your reply.

To find b ill use frequency is 1/period
Are my conditions correct, ie H is 2 at t is 0?
Thanks

jiboom said:
Yes the b should be as in your reply.

To find b ill use frequency is 1/period
Are my conditions correct, ie H is 2 at t is 0?
Thanks
Yes.

=1.75

(a) The period, T, of the oscillation can be calculated by dividing the total time of one minute (60 seconds) by the number of cycles completed in that time (32 cycles). This gives us a period of 1.875 seconds per cycle. To find the value of b, we can use the formula T=2pi/(pi*b/180) and solve for b. This gives us b=120 degrees.

(b) The maximum height, or amplitude, of the oscillation can be found by taking the average of the highest and lowest points, which is (2+1.5)/2 = 1.75 meters. This gives us the value of a. To find the value of c, we can use the formula h=acos(pi t / 180) +c and plug in the values for a and the highest point for h (2 meters). This gives us c=0.25 meters.

(c) To calculate the value of h when t=25 seconds, we can plug in the value of t into the equation h=acos(pi t / 180) +c. This gives us h=acos(25pi/180)+0.25=1.75 meters.

(d) To find the first time when h=1.75 meters, we can set h equal to 1.75 in the equation h=acos(pi t / 180) +c and solve for t. This gives us t=25 seconds.

(e) The graph of h against t would be a sinusoidal curve with a center at (0, 1.75) and an amplitude of 0.25. The critical values would be at t=0, t=1.875 seconds, and t=3.75 seconds. The x-axis would represent time in seconds and the y-axis would represent height in meters.

Related to Shm question -- a mass hanging on a spring vertically set into motion

1. How does the mass affect the motion of the spring?

The mass on a spring affects the motion by changing the period and frequency of the oscillations. A heavier mass will result in a longer period and lower frequency, while a lighter mass will result in a shorter period and higher frequency.

2. What factors affect the period of the spring's motion?

The period of the spring's motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The period is also inversely proportional to the square root of the force constant, meaning that a higher force constant will result in a shorter period.

3. How does the amplitude of the oscillation affect the motion of the spring?

The amplitude of the oscillation determines the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. With a larger amplitude, the spring will experience a greater force and therefore, a longer period. However, the frequency of the oscillation will remain the same regardless of the amplitude.

4. What is the relationship between the force constant and the period of the spring's motion?

The force constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and is directly proportional to the period of the motion. This means that an increase in the force constant will result in a shorter period, while a decrease in the force constant will result in a longer period.

5. How does the length of the spring affect its motion?

The length of the spring does not directly affect its motion, but it does affect the force constant. A longer spring will have a lower force constant, resulting in a longer period of motion. Additionally, the length of the spring can affect the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation, depending on the initial conditions of the system.

Back