Shock in Water and Water Pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the geyser was installed with a rating of 15A and connected to a 32A MCB, which led to shocks in water and water taps. The person stopped using the geyser and still experienced shocks randomly. It is suggested to get a competent electrician to measure the voltage and fix the issue, as it can be extremely hazardous. The conversation also advises against seeking help on an anonymous internet forum.
Srijith
Hello everyone...
Help me out..

I installed a geyser 3 weeks back which has a rating of 15A and I connected it to a 32A MCB. This is connected to a 16A separate MCB in the main board. Whenever I turn on the geyser, it works for some 10mins and then turns off without water getting heated. I started getting shocks in water and water taps in all my rooms.(kitchen, toilet, geyser installed in bathroom)

Then I turned off both 32 A and 16A MCB and stopped using geyser. Even now I get shocks in water and water taps. These shocks occur randomly and these cannot be found in a tester. I live in India having 230V and this frequent shocks have led to rupture of my skin. I got the geyser checked out by the technician and the electrician is not able to find out the fault. And we are having winter season here in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like your circuit breakers got hooked up to "neutral" or low voltage, or return side of the supply line rather than the 230 V. This leaves the circuits turned off, but "hot." You need to get a competent electrician to measure voltage between circuit connections and ground on the circuits you've turned "off."

No matter what is causing your energized ground, this is an extremely hazardous situation. You should not assume that it's not going to kill you just because it hasn't killed you yet - on the contrary, it's quite likely to seriously injure or kill you if you give it enough chances.

As bystander says, you need a competent electrician. The technician who checked out your geyser isn't the right person to be diagnosing a likely problem in the supply wiring.

AN ANONYMOUS INTERNET FORUM IS THE WRONG PLACE TO LOOK FOR HELP WITH THIS SORT OF PROBLEM. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A COMPETENT PERSON ON THE SPOT.

Last edited:
Bystander said:
Sounds like your circuit breakers got hooked up to "neutral" or low voltage, or return side of the supply line rather than the 230 V. This leaves the circuits turned off, but "hot." You need to get a competent electrician to measure voltage between circuit connections and ground on the circuits you've turned "off."

Hmmm... my first "It sounds like..." thought was that the neutral was bonded to the ground at the subpanel (correct and required for a main panel, incorrect at a subpanel).

But this is just an entertaining side speculation/discussion; the important part, about which there is zero disagreement, is bolded above.

Please use a local licensed electrician to help you fix this. This thread is closed.

Related to Shock in Water and Water Pipes

1. What causes shock in water and water pipes?

Shock in water and water pipes is typically caused by a phenomenon known as water hammer. This occurs when a sudden change in water flow or pressure causes the water to slam against the pipes, creating a shockwave that can be heard as a loud banging noise. This can happen when a valve is suddenly closed, a pump is turned off, or there is a blockage in the pipes.

2. Is shock in water and water pipes dangerous?

In most cases, shock in water and water pipes is not dangerous. However, it can cause damage to the pipes and fittings over time. In extreme cases, it can also cause pipes to burst or joints to leak. Additionally, the loud noise can be disruptive and potentially startle individuals who are nearby.

3. How can I prevent shock in water and water pipes?

The best way to prevent shock in water and water pipes is to minimize sudden changes in water flow or pressure. This can be achieved by slowly opening and closing valves, ensuring proper water pressure in the system, and avoiding blockages in the pipes. It may also be helpful to install water hammer arrestors, which absorb the shockwaves and reduce the noise and potential damage.

4. Can shock in water and water pipes be fixed?

Yes, shock in water and water pipes can be fixed. If the issue is caused by a specific event, such as a valve being closed too quickly, simply adjusting the water flow or pressure can often resolve the problem. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to install water hammer arrestors or other devices to mitigate the shockwaves.

5. Are there any other risks associated with shock in water and water pipes?

In addition to potential damage to the pipes and fittings, shock in water and water pipes can also lead to air being trapped in the system. This can cause inconsistent water flow and pressure, as well as introducing air into the water supply. It is important to address shock in water and water pipes to ensure the proper functioning and safety of the water system.