Shooting a cannonball over a cliff

• Thread starter clarineterr
  • Start date
In summary: So you need to find the second time and plug that into the equation for horizontal motion to find the distance it travels before hitting the ground.In summary, a cannon is fired from 60m horizontally away from a 25m cliff with a speed of 32.6m/s at an angle of 43 degrees. Using the equations y = v0yt -.5gt^2 and x= v0xt, it is determined that the cannonball does not clear the cliff, but instead scrapes by and continues to move before eventually hitting the ground. Two solutions are found using the quadratic formula, but only one is relevant for finding the distance the cannonball travels before hitting the ground.
clarineterr

Homework Statement

A cannon 60m horizontally from the base of a 25m cliff is fired with a speed of 32.6m/s at an angle of 43 degrees above the horizontal towards the cliff. How far does the shell land past the edge of the cliff assuming its elevation is constant

Homework Equations

y = v0yt -.5gt^2

x= v0xt

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug in the to the first equation

25m = 32.6sin(43)t -4.9t^2

and the quadratic formula gives me two answers: 2.46s and 2.06s

so I plug this into the second equation giving me distances of 49.0m and 58.6

which seems to mean that the cannonball does not actually clear the cliff...but my online how system is asking for an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
clarineterr said:

Homework Statement

A cannon 60m horizontally from the base of a 25m cliff is fired with a speed of 32.6m/s at an angle of 43 degrees above the horizontal towards the cliff. How far does the shell land past the edge of the cliff assuming its elevation is constant

Homework Equations

y = v0yt -.5gt^2

x= v0xt

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug in the to the first equation

25m = 32.6sin(43)t -4.9t^2

and the quadratic formula gives me two answers: 2.46s and 2.06s

so I plug this into the second equation giving me distances of 49.0m and 58.6

which seems to mean that the cannonball does not actually clear the cliff...but my online how system is asking for an answer.

If it gives 2 answers, isn't one when it passes the height going up and the other when it lands?. So don't you first need to figure what the horizontal velocity is? Then take the longer time and figure the horizontal distance from the gun (2.46*32.6*cos(43)) then subtract the distance from the base of the cliff?

Edit: I see. Your solutions are not reaching the cliff. Check your quadratic again or maybe enter -1.4 m then

I get 2.44 sec and 2.09 sec. Which falls even a little shorter.

Are you sure you have the right statement of the problem?

As stated, I would have to wonder.

clarineterr said:

Homework Statement

The way I read this, the cannon is sitting at the bottom of a valley shooting a cannon ball towards a cliff that is 60m away and 25m high.

Therefore, shouldn't you be looking to see where the canon is vertically at t where xhorizontal = 60m?

I get about 24.887m at t = 2.51655 for xvertical. Assuming this is just a rounding error, the shell would land 0m past the cliff's edge.

tkahn6 said:
Therefore, shouldn't you be looking to see where the canon is vertically at t where xhorizontal = 60m?

That's going to happen at two points; one on the way up and one on the way back down. You found the first.

negitron said:
That's going to happen at two points; one on the way up and one on the way back down. You found the first.

In other words, it's true that the cannon ball just barely avoids hitting the cliff, but it's still moving after scraping by and will eventually hit the ground.

Related to Shooting a cannonball over a cliff

1. How does the height of the cliff affect the distance the cannonball travels?

The height of the cliff does not affect the horizontal distance the cannonball will travel. However, it will impact the time it takes for the cannonball to reach the ground due to gravity. The higher the cliff, the longer the cannonball will be in the air before hitting the ground.

2. Is the trajectory of the cannonball affected by the angle at which it is shot?

Yes, the angle at which the cannonball is shot will affect its trajectory. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, as it balances the effects of gravity and air resistance.

3. How does air resistance impact the distance the cannonball travels?

Air resistance will decrease the distance the cannonball travels by slowing it down. This effect becomes more significant the longer the cannonball is in the air. To minimize the impact of air resistance, it is important to shoot the cannonball at a high initial velocity.

4. Does the mass of the cannonball affect its trajectory?

Yes, the mass of the cannonball will affect its trajectory. A heavier cannonball will be less affected by air resistance and will travel further. However, it will also experience a greater force of gravity, which can decrease its horizontal distance. The optimal mass for maximum distance will depend on other factors such as initial velocity and angle of projection.

5. How does the initial velocity of the cannonball impact its trajectory?

The initial velocity of the cannonball is a crucial factor in determining its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled, as it will be less affected by air resistance. However, if the initial velocity is too high, the cannonball may overshoot the target and not reach the desired location on the ground.