Short Reduced Echelon Form Explanation?

The -3 entry in column 3 is not a pivot because it is not the leading entry of its row. This matrix is still in reduced, row-echelon form because all of the leading entries are 1 and they are in columns 1, 2, and 4. In summary, the reduced, row-echelon form of a matrix is defined as having leading entries of 1 in each row and column, with all entries above and below these leading entries being zero.
mneox

Homework Statement

If my original echelon form is:

1 1 -2 1 | 2
0 3 3 3 | -3
0 0 0 1 | -4

and according to my notes that my teacher provided, the reduced form is:

1 0 -3 0 | 3
0 1 1 0 | 3
0 0 0 1 | -4

he noted that in the reduced form, the 1's in columns 1, 2, and 4 are pivots.

thanks for the help!

Or another question is, why is THIS in reduced row echelon form?

1 0 -2 0 | 9
0 1 -1 0 | 5
0 0 0 1 | 3

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my question is why is the second 1 in row 2 not a pivot? why is there a -3 above the 1 in column 3? He stated that this matrix is in the reduced echelon form, so can someone just explain why its an rref if there's that -3?

Thanks for your help and time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mneox said:

Homework Statement

If my original echelon form is:

1 1 -2 1 | 2
0 3 3 3 | -3
0 0 0 1 | -4

and according to my notes that my teacher provided, the reduced form is:

1 0 -3 0 | 3
0 1 1 0 | 3
0 0 0 1 | -4

he noted that in the reduced form, the 1's in columns 1, 2, and 4 are pivots.

thanks for the help!
What is your question here?
mneox said:
Or another question is, why is THIS in reduced row echelon form?

1 0 -2 0 | 9
0 1 -1 0 | 5
0 0 0 1 | 3
How is the term "reduced, row-echelon form" defined in your book?
mneox said:

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my question is why is the second 1 in row 2 not a pivot? why is there a -3 above the 1 in column 3? He stated that this matrix is in the reduced echelon form, so can someone just explain why its an rref if there's that -3?

In reduced, row-echelon form, a pivot is any leading entry of a row. The second 1 entry of row 2 is not a leading entry, so it isn't a pivot. It's only the leading entries (the pivots) for which the entries above and below are zero, so it doesn't matter that there is a nonzero entry above the second 1 entry in row 2.

Related to Short Reduced Echelon Form Explanation?

1. What is short reduced echelon form?

Short reduced echelon form is a type of matrix form that is used to represent linear equations. It is considered the most simplified form of a matrix, which contains the essential information about the equations it represents.

2. How is short reduced echelon form different from reduced echelon form?

Short reduced echelon form is a more simplified version of reduced echelon form. It contains the same essential information as reduced echelon form, but with fewer operations performed on the matrix. This makes it easier to read and work with, but it may not be unique.

3. Why is short reduced echelon form important?

Short reduced echelon form is important because it can help solve systems of linear equations, which are commonly used in many fields of science. It also provides a way to analyze the relationships between variables in a system, making it useful for data analysis and modeling.

4. What is the process for reducing a matrix to short reduced echelon form?

The process for reducing a matrix to short reduced echelon form involves performing elementary row operations on the matrix until it reaches a point where it cannot be further simplified. These operations include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another. The end result is a matrix in short reduced echelon form.

5. Are there any limitations to short reduced echelon form?

Yes, there are some limitations to short reduced echelon form. It may not be unique, meaning there could be multiple ways to reduce a matrix to short reduced echelon form. Additionally, it may not be possible to reduce certain matrices to this form if they contain special patterns or configurations.