Should I choose Engineering over Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between studying Engineering or Physics. The individual wants to be able to excel in multiple fields of engineering while also having a strong background in architecture. They mention the example of Elon Musk, who has a degree in Physics, but ultimately wants to confirm which path would be best for their goals of inventing new technology and turning science fiction into reality. The conversation also highlights the importance of being specific and knowing one's goals in order to make an informed decision between the two disciplines.
PantheraC
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and this is my very first post here :)

I joined this forum not because I wanted this question answered, but because of that I know that science people are awesome!

I know there is a general thread in the stickies, but it doesn't cover up all situations of why choosing Engineering would be the wisest decision you can ever make.

So what exactly do I want? Well, I want to study Engineering, but I don't like the idea of being limited to only one subject while studying Engineering.. like I want to be able to be good at Architecture while having good experience in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering fields and other Engineering fields too!

So this is where I get stuck not knowing where to go, but then I remembered that Elon Musk had a degree in Physics and not Engineering. I started thinking about that and came to a conclusion hat I should study Physics, but then I thought what if that wasn't true..??

So I thought why not ask people with experience of what they think regarding this question? What would you do if you were in a situation like mine? What would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
PantheraC said:
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and this is my very first post here :)

I joined this forum not because I wanted this question answered, but because of that I know that science people are awesome!

I know there is a general thread in the stickies, but it doesn't cover up all situations of why choosing Engineering would be the wisest decision you can ever make.

So what exactly do I want? Well, I want to study Engineering, but I don't like the idea of being limited to only one subject while studying Engineering.. like I want to be able to be good at Architecture while having good experience in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering fields and other Engineering fields too!

So this is where I get stuck not knowing where to go, but then I remembered that Elon Musk had a degree in Physics and not Engineering. I started thinking about that and came to a conclusion hat I should study Physics, but then I thought what if that wasn't true..??

So I thought why not ask people with experience of what they think regarding this question? What would you do if you were in a situation like mine? What would you choose?
Go for engineering i'd say, its better to be a pro at something than to be jack of all and king of non..

Irteza7 said:
Go for engineering i'd say, its better to be a pro at something than to be jack of all and king of non..

Why does that make you a king of none? In Physics study you will learn about it in depth, bit the only difference between an Engineer and a Physician is that an Engineer gets to have the chance to try things out while a Physician gets to see everything happening in his visualization instead of reality and remember that this can be changed!

I knew the answer of my question before I started this thread, but I wanted to confirm that the study really went that way!

Hey PantheraC.

The question I have for you is two-fold: firstly what do you specifically want to achieve and secondly what do you think currently would change your mind from pursuing that goal?

If you can answer these questions (even to yourself and not just us) then you will have some idea of what motivates you and what would change it.

Firstly, I want to be able to invent new ways to create new type of technology and turn science fiction into science fact! I am not going to state what I want to invent, because most humans are limited to their own mindset and can't look beyond.

Secondly, whatever path is necessary for me to take shall be taken to achieve my dreams.

PantheraC said:
Firstly, I want to be able to invent new ways to create new type of technology and turn science fiction into science fact! I am not going to state what I want to invent, because most humans are limited to their own mindset and can't look beyond.

Secondly, whatever path is necessary for me to take shall be taken to achieve my dreams.
I just want to point out that you are very vague in this response. This means we cannot give you good advise (garbage in = garbage out).

In engineering typically your first year is the same, regardless of your discipline. You'll most likely take E&m, classical mechanics, calc 1 2 and 3, diffy Q, signals, etc. There is a LOT that goes into any major, whether its architecture or physics. If you try to stay general across EVERYTHING you'll end up with very little specific knowledge. Now this might not be bad, but you'll almost need to go get a PHD or MS to get a job. Is that what you want.

Also when you say you want to create technology...
Do you want to create robotics like boston dynamics?
Do you want to spend years trying to push one small aspect of physics?
Do you want to build particle accelerators?
do you want to work on the next generation of aircraft?

engineering vs physics really depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you don't really know, then unfortunately we cannot help you.

Likes TjerkR, billy_joule and Irteza7
The world of Engineering is varied. Pick this for your different goals. Include any Physics courses which you have interest beyond the "basics", but the Engineering courses will keep you busy enough and Engineering is of several types. PICK SOMETHING and start with some program to learn. Adjust term by term as you go.

What does Elon Musk have to do with anything? He's a businessman who happened to get an undergraduate degree in physics, then dropped out of a doctorate program a few days in. None of his ideas sprang from deep knowledge of physics, and his designs at tesla or space x (or wherever) are the result of a team of engineers and scientist working for him. If you want to be Elon Musk create something like PayPal that can then finance other startups.

That said, if you want to be working with a team creating designs that require a great deal of interdisciplinary knowledge, see if you can get into a decent Engineering physics program for undergrad. After which, you can then do what Musk was planning on doing, which is applying for (and completing) graduate school programs in applied physics.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
It sounds like you have not started studying engineering but are wondering if you should study physics. The point is almost certainly moot for a while. In almost any engineering program in college, for at least a year you WILL study physics as well. (and Math). You can delay your decision for at least a year to see if you still want to study engineering or physics.
I agree with Student100 that Elon Musk is irrelevant. Most students think pf the exceptional examples in a field rather than the multitude of competent but lesser known workers who find the field
I know I had a limited understanding of engineering when I chose physics. I run into young people everyday who shared the misconceptions I had when I was younger. I know mathematics majors in the middle of their undergraduate who are sure (without taking a single engineering course) that they do not want to do engineering. They like linear algebra for example. I saw advanced linear algebra like crazy in my optimal control and modern control theory classes as a grad student. I think they think engineering is just applying math to theory which is already invented and getting numerical answers.

donpacino said:
I just want to point out that you are very vague in this response. This means we cannot give you good advise (garbage in = garbage out).

In engineering typically your first year is the same, regardless of your discipline. You'll most likely take E&m, classical mechanics, calc 1 2 and 3, diffy Q, signals, etc. There is a LOT that goes into any major, whether its architecture or physics. If you try to stay general across EVERYTHING you'll end up with very little specific knowledge. Now this might not be bad, but you'll almost need to go get a PHD or MS to get a job. Is that what you want.

Also when you say you want to create technology...
Do you want to create robotics like boston dynamics?
Do you want to spend years trying to push one small aspect of physics?
Do you want to build particle accelerators?
do you want to work on the next generation of aircraft?

engineering vs physics really depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you don't really know, then unfortunately we cannot help you.

Thanks for your replay donoacino, also as you mentioned about getting PhD or MS degree to get a job then I assure you that I am planning on doing that to make more advance technology!

What I am really thinking about creating using technology is all type of things, like robotics, cars, phones and other things that I can think of. I know that it will require a lot of money to start projects like that, but I will gather the money for it.

Student100 said:
What does Elon Musk have to do with anything? He's a businessman who happened to get an undergraduate degree in physics, then dropped out of a doctorate program a few days in. None of his ideas sprang from deep knowledge of physics, and his designs at tesla or space x (or wherever) are the result of a team of engineers and scientist working for him. If you want to be Elon Musk create something like PayPal that can then finance other startups.

That said, if you want to be working with a team creating designs that require a great deal of interdisciplinary knowledge, see if you can get into a decent Engineering physics program for undergrad. After which, you can then do what Musk was planning on doing, which is applying for (and completing) graduate school programs in applied physics.

Well, I certainly didn't know that that's how Elon Musk got his place in the technology field...

But as said before, I am planning on getting a high degree in Physics which is PhD so that I could create advance technology using ideas that engineers haven't thought of.

mpresic said:
It sounds like you have not started studying engineering but are wondering if you should study physics. The point is almost certainly moot for a while. In almost any engineering program in college, for at least a year you WILL study physics as well. (and Math). You can delay your decision for at least a year to see if you still want to study engineering or physics.
I agree with Student100 that Elon Musk is irrelevant. Most students think pf the exceptional examples in a field rather than the multitude of competent but lesser known workers who find the field
I know I had a limited understanding of engineering when I chose physics. I run into young people everyday who shared the misconceptions I had when I was younger. I know mathematics majors in the middle of their undergraduate who are sure (without taking a single engineering course) that they do not want to do engineering. They like linear algebra for example. I saw advanced linear algebra like crazy in my optimal control and modern control theory classes as a grad student. I think they think engineering is just applying math to theory which is already invented and getting numerical answers.

That's true, I am planning on starting my journey next year and don't want to waste 1 year on testing, but instead take conclusions before I even start!

If I had friends that went to the University so that I could ask them about what they are studying and how it's going for them to see if it suits my needs!

PantheraC said:
Well, I certainly didn't know that that's how Elon Musk got his place in the technology field...

But as said before, I am planning on getting a high degree in Physics which is PhD so that I could create advance technology using ideas that engineers haven't thought of.
That isn't physics.

Student100 said:
That isn't physics.

Then what is it called if you want to have a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Architecture engineer??
Studying all in the same tome is all about Physics and art, because the materials that are needed for building new technology can be studied fast...

PantheraC said:
Then what is it called if you want to have a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Architecture engineer??
Studying all in the same tome is all about Physics and art, because the materials that are needed for building new technology can be studied fast...

Did you just say that if you know physics, then you can quickly study the materials needed for a new technology? That's completely false. Studying physics won't help you at all at engineering or developing a new technology other than that you know physics well (which is not as helpful as you think).

You want a degree in mechanical, electrical, computer AND architecture? This is insane. Developing new technologies nowadays is very specialized. You will work in a team where you will help the team with your specific knowledge. Knowing all the relevant degrees is overkill, and it will mean you will know these three four fields in a very shallow way, which will make you useless.

Likes billy_joule, Jaeusm, physics user1 and 1 other person
PantheraC said:

I don't understand the last sentence.

In the US, like I said, it's applied physics. Undergrad degrees are called either applied physics or engineering physics if engineering accredited. Even then you aren't going to be studying all fields, but it is broader in subject areas than either engineering or physics alone. Sooooo, you'll have broader, but shallower knowledge than the specialized degrees. It's a degree specifically for branching from basic research to novel applications using an interdisciplinary approach.

micromass said:
Did you just say that if you know physics, then you can quickly study the materials needed for a new technology? That's completely false. Studying physics won't help you at all at engineering or developing a new technology other than that you know physics well (which is not as helpful as you think).

You want a degree in mechanical, electrical, computer AND architecture? This is insane. Developing new technologies nowadays is very specialized. You will work in a team where you will help the team with your specific knowledge. Knowing all the relevant degrees is overkill, and it will mean you will know these three four fields in a very shallow way, which will make you useless.

I didn't say that studying Physics will help you understand how materials work, that's Chemistry's work if you didn't know that!

Secondly, I am insane!

PantheraC said:
I didn't say that studying Physics will help you understand how materials work, that's Chemistry's work if you didn't know that!

Secondly, I am insane!

Being insane isn't going to help you, you should get that looked at.

I'm pretty sure Micromass knows what chemistry is, I don't think you do however, or even comprehended correctly his reply. What country are you in?

PantheraC said:
Secondly, I am insane!

Good that you know that. But don't think for a second that this insanity of studying all fields will get you an exciting new invention. Focusing and specializing on one field will do that.

Student100 said:
I don't understand the last sentence.

In the US, like I said, it's applied physics. Undergrad degrees are called either applied physics or engineering physics if engineering accredited. Even then you aren't going to be studying all fields, but it is broader in subject areas than either engineering or physics alone. Sooooo, you'll have broader, but shallower knowledge than the specialized degrees. It's a degree specifically for branching from basic research to novel applications using an interdisciplinary approach.

And how can I make it possible that I can study them in depth?

Student100 said:
or even comprehended correctly his reply.

To be honest, I didn't really understand his sentence:

So I interpreted it likely in the wrong way.

PantheraC said:

Pick one and study it in depth by getting a bachelor or master degree in it.

PantheraC said:

Find the elixir of immortality. There isn't enough time in a lifespan to do that.

Student100 said:
Being insane isn't going to help you, you should get that looked at.

I'm pretty sure Micromass knows what chemistry is, I don't think you do however, or even comprehended correctly his reply. What country are you in?

Well I do exactly better than others and got a good degree in it too..
I am moving to London this year to study there..

PantheraC said:
Well I do exactly better than others and got a good degree in it too..
I am moving to London this year to study there..

You do better in what? You got a good degree in what?

micromass said:
Good that you know that. But don't think for a second that this insanity of studying all fields will get you an exciting new invention. Focusing and specializing on one field will do that.

Well, it will but you can't see it yet.
It just need the right mindset!

PantheraC said:
Well, it will but you can't see it yet.
It just need the right mindset!

Well, you do realize you'll be the first to accomplish this, right?

micromass said:
You do better in what? You got a good degree in what?

Chemistry, if you can't understand me then that's because of Tapatalk.

PantheraC said:
Chemistry, if you can't understand me then that's because of Tapatalk.

You already got a bachelors degree in chemistry? And you now want to get degrees in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science and architecture?

If you got a bachelors in chemistry then you should know how hard it is to know something indepth!

micromass said:
You already got a bachelors degree in chemistry? And you now want to get degrees in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science and architecture?

If you got a bachelors in chemistry then you should know how hard it is to know something indepth!

No I didn't say that I had bachelors degree in anything, but have been studying Physics (Quantum Mechanics) and I will be done with (Classical Physics) soon and then after finish (Relativity Theory)!

PantheraC said:
No I didn't say that I had bachelors degree in anything, but have been studying Physics (Quantum Mechanics) and I will be done with (Classical Physics) soon and then after finish (Relativity Theory)!

What do you have a degree in then? What is the extent of your formal knowledge? High school?

How are you studying QM, classical physics and relativity? Self-study?

In your situation...
I would recommend picking mechanical or electrical engineering, or maybe physics. Get a BS. If you really want duel major...
Getting a BS is really about learning to learn, while gaining an educational base (and maybe some practical experience) in a field.

You need to take a step back and figure out what you really want. Do you want to push technology in one small area (go for an advanced degree). Do you want to build new technology in a field (bs or ms and join a company).

You might want to do everything. But you can really only study one path at a time. Think about which one aligns best with your goals.

I was in a very similar position to the one you're currently a few months ago. I'm going to be entering University next year as a Physics major. I was faced with the same dilemma: Engineering or Physics? Ever since I was young, I've had a fascination with sci-fi and technology. I knew I wanted to make some amazing technological development in one way or another, but my interests were varied. I chose Physics because I thought that it would make sense to understand the fundamentals to a great extent before choosing the areas that I would focus my efforts. But who knows? I might switch my major to some engineering field if that is what I decide to do. You mentioned that you will be beginning your studies next year, so I would urge you to just pick whatever major interests you the most and that you do your own research on the side. Early on, physics and engineering majors both have very similar schedules.

Also, Physics typically has less required courses, so there is more flexibility. I wish you the best if luck.

Since science and engineering is based on mathematics my suggestion to the OP would be to focus on something that has as much applied mathematics as possible whether that be physics, engineering, applied mathematics, computer science or whatever else meets this prerequisite.

At least if you can become fluent in that language then you can pickup books and other learning resources across fields and have some sense of what is going on.

You won't learn the specifics though - and that will always require more study, but at least you can pick up these books and get some sense of what is going on.

Most technology across all fields requires mathematics, statistics, and the use of computer technology for creation, evaluation and other activities pertaining to the creation of new technology and as such that would be my recommendation (in line with what is said above) where these courses and training is combined with other more specialized courses and training that is line with specific interests and specializations to meet them.

Likes NowsTheTime
micromass said:
What do you have a degree in then? What is the extent of your formal knowledge? High school?

How are you studying QM, classical physics and relativity? Self-study?

I am studying high school and have only 1 year left before graduation.
I have been studying Physics by my own which means that I am 100% self taught, because I don't trust teachers and their ideas but instead translates the text into concepts so that I get it in best way possible.