Should I choose physics as my carrier?

In summary, the speaker enjoys studying physics in high school but is concerned about job opportunities in Mexico as a physicist. They do not want to become a physics teacher but also do not want to study anything else. The other person suggests looking into engineering, which has overlapping disciplines with physics and may offer more job prospects.
patowlmc
I'll elaborate.

This year, in high school I started studying physics for the first time ever - I know, Mexico's Educational System is one of the Worst :\ - And I really, really liked it.

The thing is, right here in mexico it is really hard to make a living as a physicist, and It's really likely that you'll end up teaching physics. I don't like teaching, and i would hate to end up as a physics teacher, but I really don't want to study anything else than physics, because it is just amazing.

Soo, what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at engineering. Some disciplines of engineering (electrical, mechanical, chemical) are close to some disciplines of physics, and you may find more options for employment with an engineering degree.

Related to Should I choose physics as my carrier?

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can open doors to a variety of career paths, such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. It can also lead to opportunities in industries such as healthcare, energy, aerospace, and technology.

2. Is physics a difficult field of study?

Physics can be challenging, but it is also a highly rewarding field of study. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in physics.

3. Will studying physics lead to a well-paying job?

A degree in physics can lead to high-paying jobs, particularly in the fields of engineering, technology, and research. However, the salary will depend on many factors such as the specific job, industry, and location.

4. Can I pursue a career in physics without a PhD?

While a PhD is necessary for some positions, there are many career options in physics that only require a bachelor's or master's degree. These include roles in data analysis, engineering, and teaching. Additionally, gaining experience through internships and research opportunities can also enhance career prospects.

5. What skills do I need to be successful in a physics career?

Some essential skills for a successful career in physics include problem-solving, critical thinking, mathematical proficiency, strong analytical skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, communication skills and the ability to think outside the box are also highly valued in the field.