Should I Get an MBA? Advice for Comp. Science Graduate India

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mba
In summary: So make sure you are committed and passionate about your decision. Good luck!In summary, the speaker is a 3rd year B.E. student in computer science from India, but had always wanted to be a mechanical engineer. However, they ended up in their current field and do not want to continue studying or working in it. They are considering getting an MBA, as they find business case studies interesting, and are asking for advice on preparing for the CAT and GMAT exams. The response suggests that the decision to pursue an MBA should be based on the speaker's long-term goals and may not necessarily be a means to change fields. They also advise building work experience and preparing for the GMAT before pursuing an MBA.
chhitiz
i am a 3rd year b.e. in comp. science from india. ever since i was very young i wanted to be a mechanical engineer. but **** happened and i ended up where i am right now. i don't want to study computers any further, and i feel i wouldn't like a job in this field either. so sholuld i get an mba? i do find all those business case studies and stuff a bit interesting. if i should get an mba, could people point me in the right direction for cat and gmat preparation?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
chhitiz said:
i am a 3rd year b.e. in comp. science from india. ever since i was very young i wanted to be a mechanical engineer. but **** happened and i ended up where i am right now. i don't want to study computers any further, and i feel i wouldn't like a job in this field either. so sholuld i get an mba? i do find all those business case studies and stuff a bit interesting. if i should get an mba, could people point me in the right direction for cat and gmat preparation?
thanks.

I think the answer you'll get varies a lot with the type of school you're looking at and what your expectations are from an MBA. Top programs in the US generally require 3+ years of work experience before they will consider most candidates. The types of jobs held by MBAs also vary widely with the school attended. Top 3ish schools will have median graduating salaries in the $150k range with salaries quickly dropping off to sub-100k levels and down to below undergrad engineering pay levels.

Without experience or a relevant undergrad degree it may or may not be very difficult to use the MBA to change fields. This is a very difficult question to answer generally.

First, figure out what you really want to do in life and then figure out what you need to do to achieve that goal. MBA may or may not be necessary. There may also be more steps to take before you reach the MBA part, like building a solid work experience profile and background for your MBA application, as well as getting a high GMAT, etc. Nothing is easy in life, whichever path you choose.

Related to Should I Get an MBA? Advice for Comp. Science Graduate India

1. Should I Get an MBA After Completing a Computer Science Degree in India?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. However, an MBA can provide valuable business and management skills that can complement your technical knowledge and open up opportunities in fields such as technology consulting, project management, and entrepreneurship.

2. Will an MBA Help Advance My Career in the Computer Science Industry in India?

An MBA can certainly help advance your career in the computer science industry in India, as it can provide you with a well-rounded skill set that is highly sought after by employers. It can also help you stand out in a competitive job market and potentially lead to higher salaries and faster career progression.

3. Is It Necessary to Pursue an MBA to Succeed in the Computer Science Industry in India?

No, an MBA is not necessary to succeed in the computer science industry in India. Many successful professionals in the field do not have an MBA, and there are other ways to gain business and management skills, such as through online courses or on-the-job experience. However, an MBA can be a valuable asset and may open up additional opportunities for advancement.

4. What Are Some Factors to Consider Before Pursuing an MBA After a Computer Science Degree in India?

Some important factors to consider before pursuing an MBA include the cost of the program, the reputation and accreditation of the institution, the curriculum and specialization options, and the potential return on investment in terms of career opportunities and salary growth. It is also important to reflect on your personal goals and motivations for pursuing an MBA.

5. Are There Any Alternatives to an MBA for Computer Science Graduates in India?

Yes, there are alternative options for computer science graduates in India who are interested in gaining business and management skills. These include specialized master's degrees in fields such as data science or information technology management, online courses, and on-the-job training and experience. It is important to research and consider all options to determine the best fit for your career goals.