Should I Graduate High School Early?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student considering graduating a year early and seeking advice on the benefits and risks associated with this decision. They also discuss whether universities care about early graduation and the student's course plans for both staying in high school and graduating early. The discussion also touches on the importance of considering non-academic factors and the student's belief in their ability to handle the challenge of early graduation.
Jow
Recently I have been entertaining the idea of graduating high school early. Currently I am in grade 10 and I can do it, if I wanted to. I am really bored in high school and I would love to graduate a year early. What are your thoughts on this? What benefits and/or risks are associated with this decision? Do universities care if one graduates early or is it simply about one's grades (ie. if a university was considering two people with the same grades and one graduated a year early, would they prefer them or the other one).

PS. I am not leaning towards staying or leaving early, I just want to explore all of my options.

(These are the courses I am taking now)
Physics 11, pre-calculus 11, French 11, English 11, Band 11, Social Studies 10, PE 10, Christian Education 10 (don't ask)

(If I did decide to graduate early these would be the courses I would take)
Summer School: Socials 11, Chemistry 11

Normal School: Physics 12, pre-calculus 12 (or AP Calculus), French 12, English 12, Chemistry 12, Biology 11, Christian Education 12 (it's mandatory)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can, and still do what you want at the next level, do so.
Probably the best bet is to talk it over with someone at the school who knows you and what the school has to offer ... just in case there is still something you need.

Definitely talk it over with your guidance counselor. Are you taking/taken any honors/AP courses? It doesn't really look like you've prepared yourself enough for college coursework yet.

We don't know your work habits nor strengths and weaknesses. Graduating early requires a lot of out of you.

Plan to graduate early and then use the last year to improve on any classes you might feel unsatisfied with. (ie Working for a 90 as opposed to 85 or doing Provincial exams again, assuming you're in Canada, you can take those exams twice for every time you take the class)

I would graduate a year early and then take summer school the summer after.

Or take IB. If what I suspect is true (that you go to Pacific Academy in BC) then you can take IB.

Make sure you can meet the requirements for admission to whatever universities you're interested in. In the US, I think most colleges and universities require a certain number of "units" of English, math, foreign language, etc. I don't know how it works in Canada (if that's where you are).

jtbell said:
Make sure you can meet the requirements for admission to whatever universities you're interested in. In the US, I think most colleges and universities require a certain number of "units" of English, math, foreign language, etc. I don't know how it works in Canada (if that's where you are).

We use credits in Canada. I am pretty certain my plan will give me enough credits, but next week my mother and I will be going to see my counsellor.

Klungo said:
Definitely talk it over with your guidance counselor. Are you taking/taken any honors/AP courses? It doesn't really look like you've prepared yourself enough for college coursework yet.

We don't know your work habits nor strengths and weaknesses. Graduating early requires a lot of out of you.

I am taking honours courses, in math, french and english. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I believe that I am capable of graduating early as well as being successful in post-secondary. That being said high-school has been a breeze for me, so I don't yet know my weaknesses. This is one of the reasons I want to graduate early; I need a challenge.

I don't know. I think the social aspect of high school is a unique experience that people should go through. Is your high school really so bad that you can't just continue taking APs/take classes at local colleges? I know kids who were taking BC calc and AP physics in 9th/10th grade who stayed in high school all 4 years. Do you really want to be the 16 year old freshman in college? I know this is supposed to be academic guidance, but I think it's important to consider non-academic stuff as well, especially if your high school offers opportunities to take higher level classes.

dh363 said:
I don't know. I think the social aspect of high school is a unique experience that people should go through. Is your high school really so bad that you can't just continue taking APs/take classes at local colleges? I know kids who were taking BC calc and AP physics in 9th/10th grade who stayed in high school all 4 years. Do you really want to be the 16 year old freshman in college? I know this is supposed to be academic guidance, but I think it's important to consider non-academic stuff as well, especially if your high school offers opportunities to take higher level classes.

I don't like the social aspect of high school. I have plenty of friends, but I think high school is a bit ridiculous. Also, if I did stay in high school for four years I would be taking AP courses. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer many and I would be forced to change schools and leave the friends I do have anyway. So missing out on the social aspect of high school isn't really a concern for me.

The IB is not all that. Given the choice to start university a year earlier, or do the IB, I would for uni. Cooler stuff to learn, wider range of people to meet, more opportunities to be had.

Jow said:
I am taking honours courses, in math, french and english. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I believe that I am capable of graduating early as well as being successful in post-secondary. That being said high-school has been a breeze for me, so I don't yet know my weaknesses. This is one of the reasons I want to graduate early; I need a challenge.

Good, I finally find out how use quotes.

On topic: Very good, I was hoping to hear "honors", "breeze", "challenge" and the like. Provided you adjust your work habits for college (shorter school time/more at home learning than usual), you should be capable of university work. If you do choose to graduate early, I would suggest to make plans to apply for admission so that you would attend a university immediately after your junior year (I assume that's what you want). Email admission officers to see if you need any special requirements that you may not be aware of.

Of course, I believe the application process is still further up the road.

Also, look into some majors/careers you might be interested in. It's never too early to begin planning out your college studies.

I think I am pretty much decided on graduating early based on all of your comments. The next step of course is to consult my guidance counsellor and see what the process involves. Thanks for all of the advice.

Related to Should I Graduate High School Early?

1. Should I graduate high school early?

The decision to graduate high school early is a personal one and depends on individual circumstances. It is important to carefully consider the pros and cons before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of graduating high school early?

The main benefit of graduating high school early is being able to start college or a career earlier. This can save time and money in the long run. It also allows for more flexibility in creating a personalized academic plan.

3. Are there any drawbacks to graduating high school early?

One potential drawback is missing out on traditional high school experiences such as prom, senior trips, and graduation ceremonies. It may also be a challenging adjustment to go straight into college or a career without the usual summer break.

4. How do I know if I am ready to graduate high school early?

It is important to assess your academic and personal readiness for early graduation. This includes having a strong academic record, being able to handle college-level coursework, and being emotionally prepared for the transition.

5. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities if I graduate high school early?

This varies depending on the policies of your high school and the activities in question. Some schools may allow early graduates to continue participating in extracurriculars, while others may not. It is best to check with your school's guidance counselor or activities director for more information.