Should I Pursue a Career in Teaching or Research in Physics?

In summary, the individual is currently a junior in college studying physics, but has been considering switching to education to become an elementary school teacher. They struggle with the decision because while they enjoy physics, they are not the best at it and are worried they won't be successful as a physicist. They have been told they have a talent for teaching and are considering pursuing a teaching certificate while finishing their physics degree. However, they worry they may regret not sticking with physics in the long run. They are seeking advice and guidance on what path to take.
accountkiller
I'm currently a junior in college (in physics) but for the past half-year, I have struggled between staying in physics or switching to education to become a teacher instead (not necessarily in science, either, just elementary). My issue is...

I'm not the best at physics but I enjoy it. I've only gotten C+'s in the three general physics courses I've taken so far. I'm not a very logical person - I'm not in physics for the mechanics part of it... I'm very abstract, and I'm in it for the theoretical stuff... magnetism and black holes and quantum mechanics and those sort of things. Since I don't have a lot of common sense, things don't always click with me like they do with others, but I have been told I have a great mind for science precisely because I don't have much common sense, because I see things that others don't, since I think differently.

So, I'm worried I won't be much of a good physicist. I know Einstein wasn't an expert either, but he at least knew what he was doing. Because of this fear, I thought maybe I could go through the teaching program and become an elementary school teacher instead. This is because many people over the years have told me how good I am at it - at explaining things simply, at teaching. So I thought maybe I could have a steady job as a teacher while I finish my Bachelor's in physics so I don't end up with just a physics degree and nothing to do with it - to get into grad school, I'd need A's and B's and to really know what I'm doing. I'm worried I won't.

I guess I could always just finish the physics degree and get a teaching certificate and teach physics in high school (although eh, who enjoyed high school?) while I do physics research on the side... so that's a way to do it.

My question here is just asking for advice. For those of you who had any similar concerns, I'm desperate for some guidance during this time in my life. I'm so drawn towards physics and it's been with me all my life (my mom's into physics, my dad's into electronics), and I've always had this feeling that I was meant to do something great in the world like discover something you know, but I feel sometimes I'm not dedicated enough to it. I don't spend my free time thinking of black holes or anything, you know? I read adventure books and go out with friends like 'normal' kids. But I know that I am still very young and given another maybe five years, I would be more focused and be more dedicated. Right now, life is still more about just having fun. So I'm worried I'll make a wrong decision now to go into teaching instead of physics and then when I'm older, I'll realize I should have stuck with it since I'd be more focused... and I know I can always go back to school, but I don't want to have 'wasted' so much time already.

So, can anyone offer me their stories or advice or ANYTHING? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's unlikely you will be able to "do physics research on the side" - teaching takes up a great deal of time, and with a BS in physics you're really not qualified to do independent research. You might be able to find some summer program, but understand that you will be essentially a lab tech - you will not be directing any research.

Yes, I'm aware. I meant "doing research" as in pursuing my Master's and thus, being involved in research, as Master's students usually are here.

You think it would be too difficult to go through a Master's degree while teaching?

Many teachers do this, but expect it to take years. (5 or 6 is not uncommon)

I understand the struggle you are facing between teaching and research. Both are valuable and important roles in the scientific community. It's important to consider your strengths and interests when making this decision.

Teaching allows you to share your knowledge and passion for science with others, and it sounds like you have a natural talent for explaining complex concepts in a simple way. This is a valuable skill that can have a significant impact on the next generation of scientists. Teaching at the elementary level may also allow you to inspire young minds and spark their interest in science.

On the other hand, research allows you to dive deeper into theoretical concepts and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge. It can be a challenging and rewarding career, but it does require a strong understanding of the subject matter and dedication to the work.

It's important to remember that there is no right or wrong decision here. You can always pursue both teaching and research, whether it's through teaching physics at a high school level or conducting research on the side while teaching elementary school. Many scientists have found success in balancing both roles.

My advice would be to continue exploring your interests and strengths in both teaching and research. Perhaps consider taking on a research project or internship to gain more experience and see if it's something you truly enjoy. Talk to professors and professionals in both fields to gain more insight and advice.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a path that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment. Trust in your abilities and know that you can always make adjustments and changes along the way. Best of luck in your decision-making process.

FAQ: Should I Pursue a Career in Teaching or Research in Physics?

1. What is the main difference between a teaching scientist and a research scientist?

A teaching scientist primarily focuses on educating students and sharing their knowledge and expertise in a classroom setting. On the other hand, a research scientist is more focused on conducting experiments and investigations to discover new information and contribute to the scientific community.

2. Can a scientist be both a teaching and a research scientist?

Yes, it is possible for a scientist to have a dual role as both a teaching and a research scientist. Many universities and research institutions encourage their scientists to engage in both teaching and research activities to foster a well-rounded and integrated approach to science.

3. How does the career path differ for teaching and research scientists?

The career path for a teaching scientist typically involves obtaining a graduate degree in their field of expertise and then pursuing a teaching position at a university or college. For research scientists, a doctoral degree is often required, and they may work in academic or industry settings, conducting experiments and publishing their findings.

4. Is one role more important than the other for the advancement of science?

Both teaching and research scientists play crucial roles in advancing science. Research scientists contribute new knowledge and discoveries to their field, while teaching scientists educate and inspire the next generation of scientists. Both roles are essential for the growth and progress of science.

5. How do teaching and research scientists collaborate?

Teaching and research scientists often collaborate through joint research projects, mentorship of students, and sharing resources and findings. They may also collaborate through professional organizations and conferences, where they can exchange ideas and network with other scientists in their field.