Should I pursue a degree in physics?

KrunchyNacho
I am at a crossroads in my life. After graduating high school, I went into the ministry. I had no plans to continue my education, and I was content with my perfect little Christian-centered world. Eventually, my faith was shattered and I came to the realization that my entire worldview for the first 20 years of my life was built on nothing. The next two years were challenging. I had to work a job in retail that I hated while living with my parents just to survive. I began to deconstruct my worldview, piece by piece, and rebuild them through the lens of rational thought, peer-reviewed research, and empirical evidence.

I am now 22 years old, and I finally feel as if I have found my purpose and calling. Through my time digging into the observable facts of the universe, I’ve developed a passion for physics. Specifically, I’ve developed a burning love for astronomy and astrophysics. The topic that used to keep me awake at night out of fear because it disproved a young earth now keeps me awake at night out of wonder because of its pure majesty and the questions it arouses in my mind. What’s out there? I need to know.

But unfortunately, we still live in a world where the acquisition of wealth is needed to live a somewhat-peaceful life. This is where the truth of my situation presents itself in full force. I’m 22, and all I have to my name is a car, a job that pays $14.25, $15,000 in savings, and a room in my parent’s house because they are patient and kind.

I want to pursue a career in Astrophysics research. I want to stand on the edge of human knowledge and press that frontier forward. That is my dream. But first, I would have to earn a bachelor’s degree in physics, then begin a PhD program if I excel in my undergraduate studies.

But I’m scared. I’m scared that I won’t be able to live comfortably, feed myself, or afford living quarters while in a PhD program. Can anyone give me guidance? My hearts screams to pursue research in astrophysics, but my mind cautions me to find something that will allow me to live more comfortably. Are there any physicists/astrophysicists who could give me counsel on this issue?

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If you are in the US, then the community college option might be a good way for you to get your first 2 years of education at a relatively low cost. Plus, it will let you see if science and math classes go well for you, and if you enjoy them a lot. Have you considered that option?

Likes CalcNerd, Choppy, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

If you are in the US, then the community college option might be a good way for you to get your first 2 years of education at a relatively low cost. Plus, it will let you see if science and math classes go well for you, and if you enjoy them a lot. Have you considered that option?
I have actually completed a year of community college! While I was soul-searching, I decided to attend some classes to see what I was interested in. That’s how I came to the conclusion that astrophysics was what I wanted to pursue. I excelled in both my science and math classes. Additionally, I’ve self-studied those two subjects quite rigorously over the summer as well! I know I love the material. I’m more concerned with the job outlook and the possibility of obtaining a research position after my PhD and post-docs are over. Also, there are other things I want in life besides research. I want to travel and have a family one day.

Likes berkeman
If money is the problem, then you should probably look for scholarships and grants when applying to colleges/universities. I would also talk to academic advisors/counselors in schools to see what are some affordable options.

KrunchyNacho said:
I excelled in both my science and math classes.
That's a great step. Can you post what classes you took and the grades you received?

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
My experience that is that people who go into physics for "philosophical" reasons do poorly, and come to hate it (or maybe the other order). As I have said before, your PhD thesis will not be "We finally understand the universe." It will be "The spectrum of glopolium".

The vast majority of people who get PhDs in physics end up in careers doing something other than fundamental physics research. These jobs are rewarding and lucrative, but you need to understand that it is possible for you to do everything right and still not land the job of your dreams.

Likes Astronuc, CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
Why not consider in parallel, to obtain more generally-marketable skills like programming, Excel, general data skills, which can help lead you towards a better-paying job while you finish your degree and/or after you earn your degree; if that's what you choose?

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
KrunchyNacho said:
But I’m scared. I’m scared that I won’t be able to live comfortably, feed myself, or afford living quarters while in a PhD program.
Your profile says US. In which case, you need to get funds for a physics bachelor's degree. If you do well and are a strong candidate for grad school, you apply directly for a PhD physics program. Any school that really wants you will provide full funding for your PhD program (via some combo of tuition and fee waivers, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, scholarships, and fellowships). This includes a stipend sufficient for food, rent, and basics (if you're single, but not for a family).

Likes CalcNerd and Math100
OP: I'm not here to discourage you. But here's a hard look at reality that I posted in a previous thread:

CrysPhys said:
* With perhaps an outlier or two, a PhD in Physics is no guarantee of a long-term career in physics (or even physics-related) research. Others have discussed the minuscule opportunities for attaining a tenured professorship at a university. But even in industry, there are no guarantees. I'm in the US. I got my bachelor's at a top undergrad school and my PhD at a top research university. I then landed an R&D position at a top industrial lab. But after a relatively short 8 years (relative to 4 yrs undergrad plus 7 yrs grad), there was an industry-wide meltdown. I was then faced with a "Should I stay, or should I go?" scenario of my own. If I wanted to stay in the field I loved, I would need to uproot my family and move (or else split my family). If I wanted to keep my family intact and not relocate, I would need to switch fields. I chose to switch fields. And I switched fields several more times during my career in response to corporate and industry-wide "business conditions".

* So back to you. Suppose you spend the next 10+ yrs to attain a PhD in Physics, and you succeed. Now suppose you then spend several more years as a postdoc, aspiring for a career as a university professor, but don't actually land a position? Or suppose instead you land a job as an industrial physicist, but several years in are faced with an industry-wide downsizing? Will you be prepared to say, "Hey it was fun while it lasted," and move on to Plan X? Or will you be devastated and paralyzed?

That is, will you be content following your passion while in your PhD program (and perhaps one or more postdocs), but then be prepared to move on to something else?

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd and symbolipoint
KrunchyNacho said:
But I’m scared. I’m scared that I won’t be able to live comfortably, feed myself, or afford living quarters while in a PhD program. Can anyone give me guidance? My hearts screams to pursue research in astrophysics, but my mind cautions me to find something that will allow me to live more comfortably. Are there any physicists/astrophysicists who could give me counsel on this issue?
You ask if you should pursue a degree in Physics or Astrophysics. YES!

How's your Mathematics knowledge and skill? You are fairly young; 22 years old. As been said, you can choose first attending community college (which I recall? you did start). Be willing to change your mind within science, technology, mathematics as you find necessary; and try to plan how you want to reach SPECIFIC goals.

A BS in physics and a PhD in EE is a real money maker and door opener, imo. Just don't pursue astrophysics unless you really want to write popular science books and host a podcast in order to make extra money. Or, you cannot imagine yourself doing anything else.

Likes CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz, WWGD and 2 others