Should I Pursue a Double Major in Math and Physics?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the decision of whether to pursue a double major in mathematics and physics or solely focus on physics. The individual is dedicated to becoming a theoretical physicist and is considering the benefits and drawbacks of a double major. Factors such as graduate school qualifications and course requirements are discussed, with the suggestion to consult with advisors for further guidance. The individual is determined to put in the necessary effort and is also considering cost as a factor in their decision.
Alec Hewitt
Hello everyone,
I am currently attending a community college and at the end of spring, I will graduate with associates in mathematics and physics with roughly a 3.90(depending on the what GPA you're talking about). Physics and math are my life and I dedicate virtually all of my free time understanding theorems and derivations and I want to be the best theoretical physicist that I am capable of becoming.

That being said, should I keep pursuing a double major or should I dedicate all of my time solely to physics? Will learning advanced mathematics allow me to essentially "cutout the middle man" when developing theorems or will an extra degree simply restrict my full potential? If I should continue a major in math, how far should I go? I plan on getting a Ph.D. in some branch of physics as a bare minimum but I am willing to double up on math if that would make me better.

Also, I may get accepted into UC Berkeley, but I am thinking about sticking around locally, (University of Utah) because of costs, how should this factor into my decision? I am willing to put in any amount of effort necessary. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as a general rule of thumb in physics, the more math you know the better. But that doesn't mean you have to double major in it.

I think one of the main advantages of the double major is that it's going to qualify you go to graduate school in mathematics if for some reason you decide that's what you want to do. Without it, that door probably closes. The disadvantage is that it's likely going to be more restrictive in the freedom you have to study other subjects, either electives or even some introductory courses to the different branches of physics.

One thing you could do is look at the online course catalogues at the schools you're interested in attending. Read up on the available courses, and note the ones that you really want to take. If things line up so that you're pretty much doing the double major anyway then that's the way to go. If most of the double major is stuff you 'd rather not do, just go with physics and take the extra math courses you want.

Likes Alec Hewitt
Choppy said:
Well, as a general rule of thumb in physics, the more math you know the better. But that doesn't mean you have to double major in it.

I think one of the main advantages of the double major is that it's going to qualify you go to graduate school in mathematics if for some reason you decide that's what you want to do. Without it, that door probably closes. The disadvantage is that it's likely going to be more restrictive in the freedom you have to study other subjects, either electives or even some introductory courses to the different branches of physics.

One thing you could do is look at the online course catalogues at the schools you're interested in attending. Read up on the available courses, and note the ones that you really want to take. If things line up so that you're pretty much doing the double major anyway then that's the way to go. If most of the double major is stuff you 'd rather not do, just go with physics and take the extra math courses you want.

Very helpful, thank you!

Choppy said:
I think one of the main advantages of the double major is that it's going to qualify you go to graduate school in mathematics if for some reason you decide that's what you want to do. Without it, that door probably closes

That door may not be all that open. At many - probably most - places, the minimum requirements for a degree are intended for people who end up going on to be high school math teachers, not PhD mathematicians. Usually math graduate schools are looking for more classes, and often more "proofy" classes. Depending on the program, a double major may or may not be good preparation - I would talk to an advisor in math before drawing conclusions on what is and is not open.

Likes Alec Hewitt and Choppy
My son is a senior in high school and we went through this discussion with faculty in the various schools that he visited over the summer. It depends a lot on the school, but generally, a double major requires a lot of coursework that satisfies both departments, as opposed to a major/minor which may be a bit less stringent on the requirements for the minor. You should really talk to the head of undergraduate studies in the school(s) you are looking at. They had no problems taking time to meet with my son and me when we visited, so I am sure they will be happy to talk to you.

Likes Alec Hewitt
Vanadium 50 said:
That door may not be all that open. At many - probably most - places, the minimum requirements for a degree are intended for people who end up going on to be high school math teachers, not PhD mathematicians. Usually math graduate schools are looking for more classes, and often more "proofy" classes. Depending on the program, a double major may or may not be good preparation - I would talk to an advisor in math before drawing conclusions on what is and is not open.
So they will likely not even let me attempt a double major in math and physics. I also have no problems with doing proofs and I noticed that more advanced physics has more "proofy" material so I think that would be a good tool for me to have. I will talk to an advisor as soon as possible, thanks!

Related to Should I Pursue a Double Major in Math and Physics?

1. What are the advantages of pursuing a double major in math and physics?

There are several advantages to pursuing a double major in math and physics. Firstly, both subjects heavily rely on problem-solving skills, so studying them together can help strengthen your analytical and critical thinking abilities. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math is essential for understanding complex physics concepts. Pursuing a double major also allows you to explore different areas of interest and potentially increase your job prospects after graduation.

2. Will pursuing a double major in math and physics be too challenging?

It is true that pursuing a double major in math and physics can be challenging, as both subjects require a significant amount of time and effort. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to successfully complete a double major. It is also important to keep in mind that the challenging coursework can lead to a more fulfilling and rewarding academic experience.

3. Are there any potential downsides to pursuing a double major in math and physics?

One potential downside to pursuing a double major in math and physics is the heavy workload, which may leave less time for extracurricular activities or a social life. It is also important to consider whether you have a genuine interest in both subjects and are willing to put in the effort to excel in both. Additionally, a double major may require you to take summer courses or add an extra semester to your academic timeline, which could result in additional costs.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a double major in math and physics?

A double major in math and physics can open up a variety of career opportunities. Many graduates go on to work in fields such as engineering, data analysis, research, and finance. Some may also choose to pursue graduate studies in either math or physics, or a related field such as astrophysics or mathematical physics.

5. Can I still pursue a double major if I have not taken advanced math or physics courses in high school?

While it may be helpful to have a strong foundation in both subjects before pursuing a double major, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses for students who may not have taken advanced courses in high school. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine if you have the necessary prerequisites and if a double major is the right choice for you.