Should I Pursue a PhD in Physics or Switch to EE?

• Physics
  • Thread starter interhacker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the speaker is a high school graduate from Pakistan waiting for university admissions. They have mainly applied to science/engineering universities and intend to pursue a BS in Physics or Electrical Engineering. The primary university they are applying to offers funding for graduate studies in Physics in exchange for becoming a faculty member for a few years after obtaining a doctorate. The speaker initially preferred Physics due to their interest and the possibility of studying at prestigious international universities. However, they have come across an article that has made them hesitant about pursuing a PhD in Physics, with sentences mentioning low income and ruined lives. The speaker seeks opinions on the validity of the article and whether they should switch to EE instead. They are torn between their passion for Physics and the financial responsibilities they
interhacker
Gold Member
I'm currently a high-school grad waiting for university admission decisions here in Pakistan (they are due in April/May). I have mainly applied to science/engineering universities and intend to do a BS either in Physics or Electrical Engineering. Now, the primary university I am applying to offers to fund graduate studies for Physics if one gets into http://lums.edu.pk/sbasse/content/list-of-selected-top-tier-universities and in exchange one has to become a member of their faculty for a number of years (usually about 3-5) after getting the doctorate.

One of the reasons I preferred Physics over EE is that (in addition to the fact that I am very fond of it) it will enable me to do my PhD in the previously unaffordable prestigious international universities in the above list via university funding. However, I just stumbled upon this article and have become a bit hesitant. Of course, since I am more like the anti-audience (if there is such a word) of the article and the writer himself suggests that graduate school be left "to people from India and China, for whom the prospects at home are even worse" (i.e me), I think a PhD in Physics will probably be better for me than most other options in my home country. However sentences like: "Can you support a family on that income? It suffices for a young couple in a small apartment, though I know of one physicist whose wife left him because she was tired of repeatedly moving with little prospect of settling down" and " I have known more people whose lives have been ruined by getting a Ph.D. in physics than by drugs." are a bit unsettling.

What is your opinion on the validity of this article? Do you think I should switch to EE instead? I am really fond of Physics and would like a doctorate in it from a prestigious university for self-satisfaction, but then I have to pay the college fees of my younger siblings later in life and would rather be middle-class than all-out poor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do a search in this forum. We had discussed this particular topic and article many times already and there are numerous open threads on it.

Likes 1 person

Related to Should I Pursue a PhD in Physics or Switch to EE?

1. Should I Pursue a PhD in Physics or Switch to EE?

This is a common question among students who have an interest in both physics and electrical engineering (EE). There are a few important factors to consider when making this decision.

2. What are the main differences between a PhD in Physics and a PhD in EE?

The main difference between a PhD in Physics and a PhD in EE is the focus of the research. A PhD in Physics will typically involve studying the fundamental principles of the physical world, while a PhD in EE will focus on the design and development of electrical systems and devices.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both physics and EE are highly sought after fields with strong job prospects. However, the job market for EE tends to be more diverse, with opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, and power systems. Physics PhDs often find employment in research and academic settings.

4. Is it possible to combine both fields in a PhD program?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a joint PhD program that combines both physics and EE. This type of program allows students to explore the intersection of the two fields and develop a unique skillset that can be valuable in various industries.

5. What skills are required for each field?

Physics and EE both require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, physics also requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of theoretical concepts, while EE requires a strong understanding of electronics and practical hands-on skills for designing and building electrical systems.