Should I Pursue Aerospace Engineering at UofT?

• Thread starter Dublin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a first year engineering student who previously worked as an electrician and is now looking to increase their GPA. They have two options for their future career path: continue with electrical engineering, which they have job prospects in due to their previous experience, or pursue their passion for aerospace engineering. They have questions about the field and the possibility of transferring to the University of Toronto after their first year at the University of Alberta. They are also concerned about the cost of living in Toronto and the job prospects in the aerospace industry. They mention not wanting to get a mechanical engineering degree and mention that they are unable to apply to the engineering sciences program.
Dublin
Little background on me first. I am a first year engineer at University of Alberta i got my electrician ticket first before going to UofA so i am 22 at this time.I am married with a son living close to campus with my brother for cheaper rent rates. I am currently sitting on a 3.4 gpa and i am looking to increase that to 3.6 by the end of second semester.

Now i consider myself having 2 options,

First, is to continue into electrical engineering here since i have lots of job prospects due to previous electrical experience and the strength of the economy in the area. To be honest the work and schooling does interest me.

Second, is to do what i would really rather do and what i feel i have a strong passion for. I would like to go into Aerospace engineering but this choice is much more complicated. I have several questions about the field and schooling.
-How hard is it to get into UofT aerospace from UofA after the common first year? Is it possible for me to get accepted?
-From what I've seen UofT has excellent ratings as a Engineering school can anyone give some perspective on the quality of degree compared to other schools, or compared to the UofA?
-What is the cost of living for a 2 bedroom within reasonable bus/LRT distance from UofT?I am looking to work the summers in Edmonton as electrician and take student loans out during the year... should this be enough to cover costs to live in Toronto?
- After completion how difficult is it to find a job in the Aerospace industry from what I've seen aerospace is struggling and my Dad (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) says its a bad industry for work.
- Where is the most common places for work in the industry? I've read that it can be difficult to get work in the states without citizenship?

Side notes: I would rather not get a Bsc in mechanical engineering first then a masters in aerospace due to the fact that i don't want to be stuck with a mechanical engineering degree and not be able to go into aerospace for whatever reason. I would rather have a electrical engineering degree than a mechanical engineering degree.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright under further research it looks like the first year engineering program and the first year engineering sciences are not the same and i cannot apply into engineering sciences. Can anyone confirm this?

Related to Should I Pursue Aerospace Engineering at UofT?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing which door to go through?

When deciding which door to go through, it is important to consider the purpose of your journey, the location of the doors, and any potential hazards or obstacles that may be present. It may also be helpful to consult a map or ask for directions.

2. Is there a preferred door to go through in a scientific experiment?

In a scientific experiment, the choice of which door to go through should be based on random selection in order to eliminate bias and ensure accurate results. This can be achieved through methods such as flipping a coin or using a random number generator.

3. Can the color or design of a door affect which one I should go through?

The color or design of a door should not affect which one you choose to go through in most cases. However, in certain experiments or studies, the color or design of a door may be intentionally manipulated as a variable to test its impact on decision making or behavior.

4. Are there any cultural or societal norms that dictate which door to go through?

Cultural or societal norms may play a role in determining which door to go through in certain situations, such as entering a building or attending a formal event. However, in a scientific context, these norms should not influence the decision and random selection should be used instead.

5. How can I ensure that I am making an unbiased decision when choosing which door to go through?

To ensure an unbiased decision, it is important to eliminate any personal preferences or biases, use random selection methods, and carefully consider all relevant factors before making a decision. It may also be helpful to have multiple people independently choose a door to minimize the impact of individual biases.