Should I pursue mechanical engineering?

In summary: Try to be more motivated and goal oriented, and you may find that you are able to complete a degree in a shorter amount of time. In summary, this person wants to switch majors and aims to make a six-figure salary. However, he is uneducated about the profession of mechanical engineering and his chances of making that amount of money are slim due to his lack of motivation and goals.
ambitionz
I'm a sophomore at Stony Brook University and I want to be an engineer and I want to make a six-figure salary. I started off doing biomedical engineering and realized it wasnt for me. Then I wanted to switch to Chemical, Electrical, Civil, and Computer Engineering but I'm far behind and their classes conflict with each other for me. Mec engineering is all I have left. I can finish it in 4-5 years unlike the other majors I mentioned but I really desire to have a six figure salary, how can that be accomplished?

I feel like I don't have a preference when it comes to engineering as long as I don't have to deal with Biology.. b/c i hate it.

Basically

I'm BME but i don't think it's for me and I heard it's a terrible field b/c of it's unemployment

I want to switch majors and MEC seems to be the only one that I can finish in 4-5 years

A six-figure salary is a priority to me

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no way you're going to be making six-figures straight out of college. I can understand not liking biology (I don't either) but I would make sure that engineering in general is truly what you want to do. Money and job security is good but if you don't like it then you'll never really be satisfied. Most engineers are very dedicated to their job and definitely don't do it just for the money.

Just don't dedicate the next 3 years of school to something you will hate. I would find out if what you dislike about BMEN are things that all engineers do. Talk to some professors that have industry experience and then decide.

Well, I can think of several ways to make 6 figures straight out of college. But the bad news is, most of them are illegal. :cry:

Seriously though, if you have the idea that "getting a degree" is any subject an automatic route to being rich, you are going to get a big surprise. These days, it isn't even an automatic route to being employable, unless you have the right personal skills and attitude to life.

If six figure salary is a priority, choose another profession. I recommend medicine or law.

Personally, I think you are setting your sights too low. If you only aim for a 6 figure salary, you will never attain the 8, or 9 figure salary that most successful engineers truly aim for.

Aim high, my friend, aim high.

This sounds more like a whirlpool forums question (education section). They love these questions.

Do the world (and mostly yourself) a favor and don't become a mechanical engineer.

Most engineering education starts out the same in undergrad. During your first two years of undergrad, you should be taking physics, calculus, chemistry, general education, etc. Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, aeronautical, civil and biomedical engineering all have those same requirements. Why is it that most of your completed coursework is only transferable to mechanical engineering?

Typically speaking, ME degrees take 4-5 years to complete anyways. How is it that you think you can transfer coursework into that program and it will still take you 4-5 yrs to complete? Are you a slacker? Why do you think civil or electrical engineering programs will take you 6 or more years?

Your post presents you as both money driven and lazy. It doesn't matter what profession you choose, that combination of characteristics will work against you.

Related to Should I pursue mechanical engineering?

1. Should I pursue mechanical engineering if I am not good at math and science?

No, mechanical engineering heavily relies on math and science principles. Without a strong foundation in these subjects, it may be difficult to excel in this field. However, if you have a genuine interest in mechanical engineering and are willing to put in the effort to improve your math and science skills, it is still possible to pursue this career.

2. Is mechanical engineering a good career choice?

Yes, mechanical engineering is a highly versatile and in-demand career. It offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Mechanical engineers are also well-compensated and have opportunities for career advancement.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in mechanical engineering?

To be successful in mechanical engineering, you should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You should also have good communication and teamwork skills, as mechanical engineers often work in teams to design and develop products.

4. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the demand for new and improved technologies in various industries.

5. What are the typical responsibilities of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer's responsibilities may vary depending on their specific job role and industry. However, some common responsibilities include designing, developing, and testing mechanical devices and systems, analyzing and solving technical problems, and collaborating with other engineers and professionals to bring products to market. They may also be involved in project management and overseeing the production and installation of mechanical components.

Back