Should I Replace Only the Boiler or the Entire Heating System?

In summary, the conversation discusses replacing a back boiler with a combi boiler and whether it is sufficient to only flush the existing radiators and pipes or if it is necessary to replace them as well. The advice given is that if there won't be significant changes in pressure, flow rate, or temperature, a simple flush and inspection should suffice, but if there are changes, upgrading the piping and radiators may be necessary.
epipeinfo
Hi,

I'm planning to replace a back boiler (which is at least 15 years old) with a combi boiler. Assuming that the rest of the system is the same age, is it sufficient to flush the existing radiators and pipes, or is it better to replace the radiators and pipework as well?

Duraflow | Leaky Pipes

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Epipeinfo.
Your terms confuse me, as to what "back" and "combi" mean, but that's irrelevant to the rest of the question. Someone more knowledgeable will appear shortly. Meanwhile, my thought is that if there won't be significant changes in pressure, flow rate, or temperature then a simple flush and an inspection to ensure reliability should be enough. If there will be changes, then the piping and rads might need to be upgraded to meet the new requirements. This is far beyond my ability to advise upon.

Related to Should I Replace Only the Boiler or the Entire Heating System?

What is the difference between a new boiler and a new system?

A new boiler refers to the heating unit itself, while a new system includes the boiler, pipes, radiators, and controls. A new system is a more extensive and expensive installation compared to just a new boiler.

How do I know if I need a new boiler or a new system?

This depends on the age and condition of your current heating system. If your boiler is relatively new and in good working condition, then a new system may not be necessary. However, if your boiler is old and frequently breaking down, it may be more cost-effective in the long run to invest in a new system.

What are the benefits of getting a new boiler or a new system?

A new boiler or system can provide improved energy efficiency, lower heating bills, and increased reliability. It can also potentially increase the value of your home and provide better control over your heating system.

How long does it take to install a new boiler or a new system?

The installation time can vary depending on the type of boiler or system being installed and the complexity of the job. On average, a new boiler installation can take 1-3 days, while a new system installation can take 3-5 days.

Should I hire a professional to install a new boiler or new system?

It is highly recommended to hire a professional heating engineer to install a new boiler or system. They have the necessary knowledge, experience, and tools to ensure a safe and efficient installation. Attempting to install it yourself can be dangerous and may also void any warranties or insurance policies.

Back