Should I Study Calculus or Classical Mechanics First?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who plans on studying physics after graduation. They have a particular interest in Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and Thermodynamics. However, they are unsure about whether to study calculus or classical mechanics first. The person they are speaking to suggests studying calculus first, as it is necessary for understanding classical mechanics. The decision ultimately depends on how the courses are taught at their university.
ironGG
Hi I am a high school student and I am about to graduate. within few months I am planning to study physics field if I pass the University selection. I love physics after I found the beauty of Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, Thermodynamics, etc. Although I want to dive in those field, I realized that I must master the basic of physics before I dive into those.
The problem is I stuck deciding whether I study calculus first and then classical mechanics or vice versa. So what do you reckon? should I take calculus first and classical mechanics or vice versa and why ? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think classical mechanics makes much sense without calculus. It's better to study calculus first and then take a calculus-based physics class later on.

It depends on how the courses are taught at your university. In the US, some universities require you to take at least one term of calculus before starting the introductory calculus-based physics course. Others allow you to take them in parallel; in this case they (should) adjust the level of the math in the physics course accordingly. For example, they would probably spend more time at the beginning of the course on velocity and acceleration as a vehicle for learning about derivatives.

Likes micromass

Related to Should I Study Calculus or Classical Mechanics First?

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and model continuous change, such as the rate of change of a function or the motion of an object.

2. How is Calculus used in daily life?

Calculus has numerous real-world applications, such as determining the optimal route for a road trip, predicting population growth, and analyzing stock market trends. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects.

4. How is Classical Mechanics related to Calculus?

Calculus is used extensively in Classical Mechanics to study the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them. It allows for the precise calculation of quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and momentum, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

5. Is it necessary to know Calculus to understand Classical Mechanics?

While having a strong foundation in Calculus is helpful in understanding Classical Mechanics, it is not always necessary. Many concepts in Classical Mechanics can be explained and understood without the use of calculus, but it may limit the ability to make precise calculations and predictions.