Should I study Engineering? Life crisis help

In summary, you are an experienced person who is looking for guidance on a career in engineering. You are thinking of majoring in electrical engineering and then focusing in electronics, but you don't know if this is the right direction for you because you have ADD and are worried about whether you can handle the math required in the field. You are taking college algebra and trig this spring in order to prepare for your career in engineering.
There_is_Time
Just background info. haha sorry so long! If you have the time, please help me.
Im 24. All my life I've been taught not to follow my dreams. I've been treated as a nuisance or the special one in the family and have been called stupid as a kid. I've always felt very aware of the intentions, behaviors and the injustice around me. I feel I was born into the wrong family with no support, and despised by everything that interests me. the small urges inside of me that I pursued as a kid like pretending to be an inventor and playing with a hanger wire and forming it for the lamp to make it easier to turn on, or reading Astronomy books at the library at junior high school; would be a part of me or plainly was me when I was alone. Well i had no idea that there were actually steps to the paths that I dreamed of being. It might have been just a stupid trinket experiment done by a 11 year old but I feel there is something more that can be done. I told a pastor at my fathers church congregation that I wanted advice on how I can be an astronaut and he told me that "its just a dream." He didn't even bother to tell me that what I needed to study to get there were subjects in the field of engineering ,math,or sciences and to study these subjects in high school. Well i did know but with everyone around me conditioning me into thinking that I couldn't, I didn't even bother to go into it.Shame on him to discourage a 15 year old. My heart was shattered. I am not asking you to feel sorry for me as I am telling you my past, I am just trying to say how much I want to be an Engineer. Sorry for the long bio. As you can see, I just can't let it go! I want to study Engineering. I do think that my age is a problem.
It will take me about 4 years to get into a university and another 4 years to get my bachelors. I wasted so much time on general education to transfer to another university and i took long because I didn't know what I wanted to do. And now that I have finally taken a stand for my deepest desire hidden away by my weakness, all these years have gone by. I've gone through so much shame in the past years with people that I run into,with friends that I had to leave because they would always put me down,with relatives. Despite all of this that has happened to me in the past, I've gotten myself up again by the help of God who strengthens me. I believe that there are many ways that can distract you and keep you from achieving your predestination. All the experiences that I've gone through were all distractions to keep me away from going through this journey to a higher self. In other words I feel I was lost in a labyrinth and finally found my way out! I feel like a maverick and I guess this is how its suppose to be for me if I want to be a better person.
Anyway I really need help with my decision. I am pretty new at researching about career paths in engineering.
This is my focal question:
I am thinking of majoring in electrical and then focus in electronics but I do not know if this is the right direction for me. I am also thinking about Mechanical?
My questions for these fields are:
1. Does E.E. deal with just satellites and cell phones? How can I work with control systems?
2. Is mechanical engineering less mathematical based?
I know that I have a scientific mind and I'm interested in math, i think its fascinating but I have ADD and I don't know if I can handle it or not, i will have to try it out first. I am taking College algebra in the spring of 2011 and trig in the summer. If I work really hard which I know I will because I've made a definitive decision and I'm up for the challenge. I've decided that if this is it, I am never looking back and go all the way. I'm even joining a NASA community college program in the spring to keep me motivated. If you can think of any other things that I need to know please leave it in your response. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
There_is_Time said:
1. Does E.E. deal with just satellites and cell phones? How can I work with control systems?
2. Is mechanical engineering less mathematical based?

I did not read your long wall of text. If there was something relevant or important in there, consider editing your post so it isn't an instant attention-diverter.

1. No. EE deals with a lot of things. It's actually such a broad topic that it's hard to pin down what an "EE" actually does- it varies a lot.

2. Less so, but you still have to do a lot of math.

Didn't read the wall of text (if you want to be an engineer then that's something you'll have to work on - presenting your thoughts/opinions in a readable manner), but if you want to be in a class full of guys for the next four years studying maths that you'll never see outside of the bubble of university then go for it. If you want to be involved with group projects, seeing things through from the conceptual stage to manufacturing stage to the testing stage, then study engineering.

Engineering is a highly rewarding degree but a very frustrating one at the same time.

Shaun_W said:
Didn't read the wall of text (if you want to be an engineer then that's something you'll have to work on - presenting your thoughts/opinions in a readable manner), but if you want to be in a class full of guys for the next four years studying maths that you'll never see outside of the bubble of university then go for it. If you want to be involved with group projects, seeing things through from the conceptual stage to manufacturing stage to the testing stage, then study engineering.

Engineering is a highly rewarding degree but a very frustrating one at the same time.

Yes its crazy how much I wrote. Yes I do not mind being in a class full of guys studying math. From what I can see, I do not need someone to tell me i can and cannot do something. I have to go for it myself. my post seemed kind of pointless LOL

fss said:
I did not read your long wall of text. If there was something relevant or important in there, consider editing your post so it isn't an instant attention-diverter.

1. No. EE deals with a lot of things. It's actually such a broad topic that it's hard to pin down what an "EE" actually does- it varies a lot.

2. Less so, but you still have to do a lot of math.

I am 24 and I would like to know if my age is a problem. Am I too old to start? It will be a challenge for me since I will have to work part time and take classes. I feel like I have wasted so much time figuring out what i want to do as a career. I've been under a lot of stress. My parents are relying on me for fiancial support. Although my parents have made my educational experience hell by never giving me stable support, I am very willing to help and make them happy. The problem is I want to study Engineering now and it will take me many years to finish.

I graduated in mechanical engineering bachelor's degree when I am 30 year-old and I am applying scholarship to do masters in biomedical engineering for next year intake. I feel much more happier now than before.

There_is_Time said:
Yes its crazy how much I wrote. Yes I do not mind being in a class full of guys studying math. From what I can see, I do not need someone to tell me i can and cannot do something. I have to go for it myself. my post seemed kind of pointless LOL

You don't like classes with hot girls? In most my past math classes I ended up being a tutor for the only hot chick in my class. ;)

There_is_Time said:
I am 24 and I would like to know if my age is a problem. Am I too old to start? It will be a challenge for me since I will have to work part time and take classes. I feel like I have wasted so much time figuring out what i want to do as a career. I've been under a lot of stress. My parents are relying on me for fiancial support. Although my parents have made my educational experience hell by never giving me stable support, I am very willing to help and make them happy. The problem is I want to study Engineering now and it will take me many years to finish.

Never too old. I've seen plenty of older people in my differential equations class whom also were engineer majors.

thepatient said:
You don't like classes with hot girls? In most my past math classes I ended up being a tutor for the only hot chick in my class. ;)

lol I am a girl! ;)

Oh... I'm kinda embarassed now. XD haha

But yuh. You'll do fine as long as you set your mind to it. If you set your mind on it and work hard for it, you can do it. If there's a will, there's a way; or something like that. Being a girl wouldn't make you less good of an engineer.

Do it! We need more women in engineering! In my classes, we practically seek each other out because there are so few of us. And don't let age stop you. I'm a lot older than you and I'm studying engineering. :-) (sometimes I feel like I'm too old, but then I look at the OTHER older students and I feel a lot better, lol. And I'm not the only older female student there, either.)

Should I study Engineering? Life crisis help!

Variants of this question seem to be asked a number of times on this forum.

@There_is_Time
As others have rightly pointed out, don't let age be a limitation to gain education. Get your high school degree and focus well on Math and Physics. You can also read this thread to get better perspectives on the different engineering streams.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15898

Good luck!

That looks something similar to what I might have wrote a few years ago.

I was always told since I was starting grade school that I will always struggle, that I'll always be behind and need to work twice as hard as everyone else to keep up. I was diagnosed with ADD and I took it to heart.

Well, when I was 24, I decided that college was for me; mainly because if I was going to start developing space vehicles, I realized I'm not great enough to bypass decades and decades of work/research done by professionals.

It took me three 1/2 years to transfer, and that's actually where I am no. I won't graduate for another 3 years (maybe 4?) after I start in fall 2011 at the 4year.

But with that said, do it. Go for it. Its all baby steps and it may be a dream for some people to be an astronaut, but its another persons reality. Make it yours if that's what you still want.

Oh, and by the way, I started out taking college algebra in spring, my first semester, along with trig the following summer. Same boat essentially.. Stick with it! Before you know it, you will be taking linear algebra and thinking, how did I get up here?! lol..

My mom is ecstatic, past teachers are utterly shocked, and I'm feeling better then I ever have.About your questions, I'll give my other two cents, even though I'm not an engineer..
My best friends dad was an electrical engineer and he worked on electrical systems for many buildings in large cities, many for GAP. He worked in power infrastructure to some degree as well.

I don't know how math based mechanical is, but I've heard electrical is very math based. A friend of mine that I just recently met up with after a long time is a mechanical engineer, but he says its a good idea to have a decent electrical background no matter what engineering field you go into.. He recommended I definitely try and work in electrical classes when I can..

Last edited:
It does not matter how old you are, just that you've decided to pursue a dream and follow through on it. You are 24 now, you will be 28 in another four years, and the question is: Do you want to be 28 w/out a degree in a field you like, or 28 with a degree? The time comes no matter what, so just go through with it and buckle down.

I took a few engineering classes. The math requirements to take a specific class would usually have to be within the Calculus II and above areas. I am not good at math by a long shot but have passed Calculus II (A-), Multivariable Calculus (A-), Intro to differential equations (B), and Linear Algebra (B+), for the engineering classes I would need to get a minor in both engineering and physics. I usually took math on breaks. I took some in the summer, the other classes were taken over a winter break, and just did that so I could focus on only one course subject.

Yes - study engineering or applied physics - if that is what one wishes to do professionally. Also study as much math and physics as possible.

I am in a very similar boat. I was always the "dumb" kid growing up because I was a late bloomer when it came to school. High and grade school I was always interested in science, but could never take classes I wanted because of grades and being put into classes I was bored with and had no interest in.

But anyhow, I am 26 and a sophomore in mechanical engineering in St. Louis. I took a long time at a community college trying to figure out what I wanted to do. My program has a lot of older people in it. I really don't think you are too old to go into engineering. Some people just choose different paths to figure what there calling in life is.

So best of luck to you!

There_is_Time said:

I went back to school when I was 24 and did just fine in physics, despite having done zero math or physics for years before that. Yeah, it's harder at 24 than at 18--you can't pull all-nighters, for example--but it's not that much harder. When you're passionate about it and you're willing to work hard, you can be successful, regardless of age.

Thank you all for your replies! I greatly appreciate your words of advice.

Related to Should I study Engineering? Life crisis help

1. Should I study Engineering?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and goals. Engineering is a challenging and diverse field that requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills. It also offers a wide range of career opportunities and the potential for high salaries. Consider researching the different types of engineering and speaking with current engineering students or professionals to help make your decision.

2. What are the benefits of studying Engineering?

Studying engineering can provide you with a strong foundation in math, science, and critical thinking skills. You will also develop practical skills, such as computer programming, technical design, and project management. Engineering degrees are highly valued by employers and can lead to a variety of career paths in industries such as technology, manufacturing, and construction.

3. What are the potential challenges of studying Engineering?

Engineering programs can be rigorous and demanding, requiring a significant amount of time and effort. The coursework may also be challenging, especially if you do not have a strong background in math and science. Additionally, the cost of tuition and materials for an engineering degree can be high. It is important to carefully consider these factors before committing to the field.

4. Will studying Engineering guarantee me a job?

While an engineering degree can increase your chances of finding employment, it does not guarantee a job. The job market is competitive, and employers also consider factors such as experience, internships, and soft skills. It is important to gain practical experience and develop strong communication and teamwork skills while studying engineering to make yourself a more attractive candidate to employers.

5. I am having a life crisis and don't know if I want to continue studying Engineering. What should I do?

If you are experiencing doubts about your chosen field of study, it is important to first identify the root of your crisis. Are you struggling with the coursework, feeling burnt out, or simply questioning your interests? It may be helpful to speak with a counselor or academic advisor to discuss your options and explore other paths within or outside of engineering. It is also important to take care of your mental health and address any underlying issues that may be contributing to your crisis.