Should I Submit My GRE Physics Subject Test Score for Grad School Applications?

In summary, the person is unsure whether to submit their optional physics subject test score to grad schools. They scored a 29 percentile which is relatively high for their school but not impressive for grad school applications. The other person advises not to bother since many schools are realizing the poor correlation between subject GRE scores and finishing a PhD. They share their own experience of scoring 18% and still succeeding in grad school. They suggest focusing on research experience instead. The person is relieved to hear from someone else from a smaller school who has done well in grad school. They were starting to worry about their potential and preparation for a serious school.
Vaal
I have been trying to figure out whether I should submit my physics subject test score to grad schools if it is optional. I scored a 29 percentile on the test which despite being relatively high for my school doesn't look great on a grad school app. 'm not applying to any really top schools but I am applying to a few mid grade ones. Am I better off omitting this score from my application or will I be penalized for that?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's optional, don't bother. Many schools are now realizing that subject GRE test scores don't correlate well with finishing the PhD (in fact, I heard the best correlation, even in physics, is with the general GRE English score - go figure). While 29% is often pretty high for a liberal arts college graduate, it still doesn't look very good - and it doesn't necessarily mean you're a poor student. My highest score was a 18% coming from a small liberal arts school, and I'll be finishing my PhD in physics soon (if I get a job, that is). Concentrate instead on pushing any research experience you might have gotten.

Thats good to know, I was a little worried it might put me at a huge disadvantage not to submit it but it sounds like that isn't the case. I had no idea the correlation was that poor.

Its also great to hear from someone else coming from a smaller school who has done well in grad school. I think I have a decent amount of potential in physics but I was starting to get a little worried I wasn't going to be adequately prepared for a serious school.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Should I Submit My GRE Physics Subject Test Score for Grad School Applications?

1. What is the GRE Physics Subject Test?

The GRE Physics Subject Test is an exam designed to measure a student's knowledge and understanding of key concepts and principles in the field of physics. It is often required for admission into graduate programs in physics and related fields.

2. How is the GRE Physics Subject Test different from the regular GRE?

The regular GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a general test that assesses a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. The GRE Physics Subject Test, on the other hand, focuses specifically on physics concepts and principles and is intended for students who wish to pursue graduate studies in this field.

3. What topics are covered on the GRE Physics Subject Test?

The GRE Physics Subject Test covers a broad range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and special relativity. It also includes questions on laboratory methods and data analysis.

4. How is the GRE Physics Subject Test scored?

The GRE Physics Subject Test is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 10-point increments. The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, with no penalty for incorrect answers. The average score is around 700, but the exact score needed for admission varies depending on the specific graduate program.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE Physics Subject Test?

To prepare for the GRE Physics Subject Test, it is recommended to review key concepts and principles in physics and practice solving problems that are similar to those found on the exam. There are also study guides and practice tests available to help students prepare. It is important to start studying well in advance and to set aside dedicated time for preparation in order to achieve a high score on the exam.