Should I take general chemistry 1 and 2?

In summary, the speaker has successfully transferred to a 4-year university from a community college and is majoring in mathematics. They have completed several courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and introductory physics. They are considering double majoring in math/physics or math/aerospace engineering, and their school offers a joint PhD program in engineering and applied mathematics. They are interested in pursuing this program if they double major in engineering. However, they are unsure about whether to take two semesters of general chemistry, as they have never taken a chemistry course before. The respondent advises them to take the course, as chemistry is quite different from math and will require a different approach to learning. They also recommend finding chemistry books that
MidgetDwarf
So I have successfully transferred to a 4 year university from a community college. I am majoring in mathematics. I have completed: Calculus 1,2,3, Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations, Introduction to Linear Algebra, Introduction to Discrete Mathematics. I have also completed introduction to mechanics and electricity and magnetism ( Freshman physics sequence).

I plan to double major in Math/Physics or Math/Aerospace engineering. My school offers a joint Phd program with Claremont Graduate University. The Phd is a Doctorate of Philosophy in Engineering and Applied Mathematics. This is something I seem interested in, if I double major in Engineering. However, physics is something I am interested in.

Anyhow, in order to double major, I must complete the last introductory physics course and 2 semesters of general chemistry.

I am definitely going to take the last introductory physics course.

My question is, should I spend time taking the 2 chemistry courses? I have never had a chemistry course. I feel comfortable with self learning mathematics, and I can study for these 2 classes and pass an examination to receive credit. Or would it be more beneficial for me to actually take the course?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you never had a chemistry course, then you should probably takeethe course. Chemistry is quite different from math. Not more or less difficult, just different. You're used to math now so you can predict the nuances in the texts, you can't yet do that with chemistry since you have no experience.

Likes symbolipoint
micromass said:
If you never had a chemistry course, then you should probably takeethe course. Chemistry is quite different from math. Not more or less difficult, just different. You're used to math now so you can predict the nuances in the texts, you can't yet do that with chemistry since you have no experience.

Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any chemistry books? Is there such a book at this level, that makes connections with physics?

FAQ: Should I take general chemistry 1 and 2?

1. Should I take general chemistry 1 and 2 if I am not majoring in a science-related field?

It depends on your personal goals and interests. General chemistry can provide a solid foundation in scientific principles and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields. If you are considering a career in a science-related industry or simply have a strong interest in chemistry, then taking these courses may be beneficial.

2. Are general chemistry 1 and 2 difficult courses?

General chemistry can be challenging, especially if you do not have a strong background in math and science. However, with consistent effort and dedication, these courses can be manageable. It is important to actively participate in class, seek help when needed, and practice problems regularly to succeed in these courses.

3. Will taking general chemistry 1 and 2 benefit me in the long run?

General chemistry covers fundamental concepts that are applicable in many areas, such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science. It can also improve your critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any career path. Even if you do not plan on pursuing a career in a science-related field, taking general chemistry can still benefit you in the long run.

4. Can I skip general chemistry 1 and start with general chemistry 2?

It is not recommended to skip general chemistry 1 and start with general chemistry 2, as the latter builds upon the concepts and principles learned in the former. Without a strong foundation, you may struggle in general chemistry 2 and potentially fall behind. It is important to take these courses in sequence to fully understand the material and be successful.

5. How can I prepare for general chemistry 1 and 2?

To prepare for general chemistry, it is helpful to review basic math concepts, such as algebra and dimensional analysis. You can also familiarize yourself with the periodic table and basic chemistry terminology. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also aid in your preparation for these courses.