Should I use Morin or Kleppner and Kolenkow

In summary, Morin has a more modern approach to relativity compared to K&K, which is considered old and not much of an update in its 2nd edition. K&K focuses on preparing students for differential equations and vector calculus, with challenging problems that test their understanding of freshman mechanics. It is designed for students with a strong math background, preferably with prior experience in high school physics. Morin, on the other hand, introduces topics like Lagrangians typically encountered in upper-division mechanics, making it more suitable for an honors course at an elite university. The person recommending these books is curious why the individual is self-studying rather than taking a course, to which the individual responds that they are not yet in university and
Physicaa
I'm not really sure which one to use. Also, where does one go after that ? Taylor ? Symon?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Morin has a better and more modern treatment of relativity. K&K is extremely old, and the 2nd edition is not really much of an update.

K&K's agenda is basically to get students going on differential equations and vector calculus, possibly without having formally seen those topics in a math class yet. It has lots of challenging problems. If you can do the problems, you know you have a solid freshman mechanics background. I had the book as my freshman physics book in college, but I haven't taught from it. It's designed for people who have an extremely strong background in math, and realistically they should also have had high school physics.

I haven't learned or taught from Morin, but its agenda seems to be to introduce topics like Lagragians that are normally not encountered until upper-division mechanics. I don't really understand why this would be desirable.

Both of these are books designed for physics majors in an honors course at an elite university.

Just curious, why are you self-studying instead of taking a course?

Likes Physicaa and Gopal Mailpalli
bcrowell said:
Morin has a better and more modern treatment of relativity. K&K is extremely old, and the 2nd edition is not really much of an update.

K&K's agenda is basically to get students going on differential equations and vector calculus, possibly without having formally seen those topics in a math class yet. It has lots of challenging problems. If you can do the problems, you know you have a solid freshman mechanics background. I had the book as my freshman physics book in college, but I haven't taught from it. It's designed for people who have an extremely strong background in math, and realistically they should also have had high school physics.

I haven't learned or taught from Morin, but its agenda seems to be to introduce topics like Lagragians that are normally not encountered until upper-division mechanics. I don't really understand why this would be desirable.

Both of these are books designed for physics majors in an honors course at an elite university.

Just curious, why are you self-studying instead of taking a course?
I'm not in University yet. (It works differently where I am) And I have no idea where I'm going later on but I like learning physics so I wanted to do some things on my own and not waste time. I did do introductory Mechanics (Not that sophisticated, mainly algebra based) I want to understand Physics, not just do some formulas and plug in numbers.

Likes Physicaa

Related to Should I use Morin or Kleppner and Kolenkow

1. Should I use Morin or Kleppner and Kolenkow for my studies in physics?

Both Morin and Kleppner and Kolenkow are excellent resources for studying physics. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Morin's "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" is more conceptual and focuses on building a strong foundation, while Kleppner and Kolenkow's "An Introduction to Mechanics" is more mathematical and rigorous. Consider browsing through both books and seeing which approach resonates with you more.

2. Are there any significant differences between Morin and Kleppner and Kolenkow?

Both books cover the same topics in classical mechanics, but they may differ in their explanations and examples. Morin tends to focus more on real-life examples and applications, while Kleppner and Kolenkow may delve more into the mathematical derivations. It's best to consult both books to get a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

3. Which book is more suitable for beginners in physics?

If you are completely new to physics, Morin's "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" may be more suitable as it is more approachable and less intimidating. However, if you have some background in physics and are comfortable with mathematical concepts, Kleppner and Kolenkow's "An Introduction to Mechanics" may be a better fit.

4. Can I use both Morin and Kleppner and Kolenkow for my studies?

Yes, it is common for students to use both books as supplemental resources. They cover similar material but present it in different ways, which can help reinforce your understanding of the subject. However, it is not necessary to use both books and you can still excel in your studies by choosing one over the other.

5. Are there any other recommended resources for studying classical mechanics?

Aside from Morin and Kleppner and Kolenkow, there are many other textbooks and online resources available for studying classical mechanics. Some popular options include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer comprehensive lectures and practice problems for classical mechanics.