Should marriage have a legal limit of 7 years?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, Gabriele Pauli, a glamorous politician in Bavaria, has suggested that marriage should last only 7 years. She believes that the current approach to marriage is wrong and that many marriages only last because of a false sense of security. She proposes that after 7 years, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved. Some people have expressed concerns about this idea, stating that it could create issues with dividing assets and could make it easier for couples to separate. However, others argue that if two people are no longer compatible, they should not be forced to stay in a marriage. Ultimately, the success of this proposal would depend on the commitment of the individuals involved.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Glamorous politician wants law to allow 7-year itch
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070921/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_germany_politics_marriage

BERLIN (Reuters) - Bavaria's most glamorous politician -- a flame-haired motorcyclist who helped bring down state premier Edmund Stoiber -- has shocked the Catholic state in Germany by suggesting marriage should last just 7 years.

Gabriele Pauli, who poses on her website in motorcycle leathers, is standing for the leadership of Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU) -- sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) -- in a vote next week.

She told reporters at the launch of her campaign manifesto on Wednesday she wanted marriage to expire after seven years and accused the CSU, which promotes traditional family values, of nurturing ideals of marriage which are wide of the mark.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," she told reporters. "My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."

After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved, she said.

IMO - bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would make me very nervous if they don't also remove the part of the vows where you say, "'Til death do us part." :rolleyes:

Gabriele Pauli said:
After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved.
Under the current system, my wife and I are forced to agree to extend our marriage every day. It's one of the few things we do agree on. But lacking that agreement, we would have no choice but to divorce, as murder is definitely out. Anyway, even if we did divorce, I doubt we would separate as each of us makes up for certain deficiencies in the other. Pauli's plan doesn't really change much for people like us except for the onus of shelling out another 2 bucks every seven years.

Those Pauli's are fond of their exclusion principles.

Moonbear said:
Would make me very nervous if they don't also remove the part of the vows where you say, "'Til death do us part." :rolleyes:

:smile:
They must replace it with something else!

You could make it an anual renewal - then you could have a transfer season like in football. (Hopes wife isn't reading this.)

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Yu could make it an anual renewal - then you could have a transfer season like in football. (Hopes wife isn't reading this.)

:smile::smile:

Marriage terms? Why stop there? Why not a campaign and election, too?

―――
Vote for

Daniel
for
Stephanie's husband

―――​

It could get a bit troublesome dividing up the assets every seven years. Who gets the kids and who gets the dog??

I've been married 43 years because neither one of us was willing to give up half of everything. :wink:

Moonbear said:

:smile::smile::smile: Or we could add: And may the strongest survive.

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/61vt8vm.jpg

Ivan Seeking said:
:smile::smile::smile: Or we could add: And may the strongest survive.
:smile:
Where's Tsu?:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Till 7years do us apart.

Möchtest du meine 7 Jahre Frau werden? Möchtest du?? Möchtest du??

jimmysnyder said:
Under the current system, my wife and I are forced to agree to extend our marriage every day. It's one of the few things we do agree on. But lacking that agreement, we would have no choice but to divorce, as murder is definitely out. Anyway, even if we did divorce, I doubt we would separate as each of us makes up for certain deficiencies in the other. Pauli's plan doesn't really change much for people like us except for the onus of shelling out another 2 bucks every seven years.

I agree. . Marriage is a committment that has to be renewed everyday. The good side to Pauli's idea is that should one or both individuals feel the need to leave the marriage they're able to do so. This stops feeble and reluctant marriages from living on.

animalcroc said:
Marriage is a committment.
And it's an institution. I should be commited to an institition.

jimmysnyder said:
And it's an institution. I should be commited to an institition.

sure. But if one or both individuals don't want to be in the marriage after seven years it's not going to work. But it's still an institution.

I think that in order to make the motorcycle guy happy, they should do the rule that you have to agree to extend your marriage, but in order to cancel your marriage, you have to fill out lots...and lots...and LOTS of paperwork. Then at that point most people would rather divorce than do a seven year breakup :biggrin:.

animalcroc said:
sure. But if one or both individuals don't want to be in the marriage after seven years it's not going to work. But it's still an institution.
Agreed. You should be committed to an institution too.

jimmysnyder said:
Agreed. You should be committed to an institution too.

I agree. If two people are no longer compatible they aren't capable of being married. The institution lives on for the committed.

Related to Should marriage have a legal limit of 7 years?

1. What is a legal limit on marriage?

A legal limit on marriage is a set of laws and regulations that dictate who can legally get married. It typically includes age restrictions, rules about blood relations, and restrictions on the number of spouses a person can have.

2. Why do legal limits on marriage exist?

Legal limits on marriage exist to protect individuals and families from potential harm and to ensure that marriages are entered into voluntarily and without coercion. These laws also help prevent issues such as incest, polygamy, and child marriage.

3. How do legal limits on marriage vary between countries?

Legal limits on marriage can vary greatly between countries. Some countries have no legal limits on marriage, while others have strict regulations regarding age, consent, and the number of spouses allowed. In some countries, there may also be restrictions based on cultural or religious beliefs.

4. Can legal limits on marriage change over time?

Yes, legal limits on marriage can change over time. As societal norms and values evolve, so do the laws surrounding marriage. For example, many countries have recently lowered the legal age for marriage to 18 to align with the United Nations' recommendation.

5. What are the potential consequences of violating a legal limit on marriage?

The consequences of violating a legal limit on marriage can vary depending on the specific laws in place. In some cases, the marriage may be considered null and void, and individuals may face legal penalties. Additionally, the violation may have social and cultural repercussions, leading to discrimination and stigmatization.