Should NASCAR be taxed for wasting fuel?

In summary, NASCAR is annoying, wasteful, and thinks it is too good for the rest of us. The figure that over 5% of the nation's gasoline supply (a large percentage of what we are forced to import) is wasted on the non-sport of auto racing is ridiculous, and it's time we taxed some sensibility into this American-antithetical conspicuous consumption. It's time we banned auto racing because of emissions and useless consumption of resources, and taxed all sports right through the roof.
Ivan Seeking said:
As for the general argument, all sports are a luxury that should be taxed to the greatest extent possible. This is no different than alcohol, cigarettes, or lottery or gambling winnings. I also think we need to consider creating special taxes for things like parachutes, bikes, rock climbing gear, SCUBA gear, and any other sporting item that relates to costs to the general population. Isn't it fair that people pay for the increased risks and resulting costs [medical and insurance costs, as well as rescue efforts] to all of us that are associated with these activities.

Wow, with thinking like this we will all be eating soylent green in the near future...You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
NASCAR is annoying enough, without the figure that over 5% of the nation's gasoline supply (a large percentage of what we are forced to import) is wasted on the non-sport of auto racing. It's time we taxed some sensibility into this American-antithetical conspicuous consumption.

What a wonderful idea! - - - but why stop there?

The Airbus A380 - - - will probably fly half empty - - - a waste, get rid of it!
Figure Skating - - - art maybe, but not a sport - - - ban it!
Soccer - - - don't you just love those zero - zero endings?
Rock music - - - performed by amateurs, not musicians - - - time for it to go.
Tattoos - - - body graffiti - - - no need for it to exist.
Sky diving, Mountain climbing, Surfing, Caving, Whitewater excursions - - tie up rescue personnel unnecessarily.
Alcoholic beverages - - - wasteful and sinful - - - must go! Oops, didn't we try that once?
Gambling - - - exploitation of the poor!
Going on vacations - - - non-productive.
Dogs and Cats - - - turn them back to the wild!
Living in houses - - - a total waste - - - small apartments are much more economical!
Extravagant weddings - - - totally excessive!
Reality TV - - - mind numbing!
Beggars - - - How unsightly! Shoot them all!
Flush toilets - - - a total waste of water!
Toilet paper ! - - - - - What's wrong with the hand? It had worked for millennia!
Downloading music and movies - - - unethical! Put an end to it!
Hurricanes - - - Incredibly wasteful! They must go!
SUVs - - - too dangerous - - - they flip over too easily.
Toyota Prius - - - too dangerous - - - it flips ov--- Nah; it's too slow.

What a great idea. let's just get rid of that which we don't like. And to the old Soviet Union we can say "eat your heart out".

KM

This thread reminds me of merry old england. /me heads to the Boston Harbor looking for tea. :mad:

Echo 6 Sierra said:
...uhhhhh, no. Unless their cars can go 2x the speed of sound or more and they can play "duck, dodge, and hide" while someone shoots guided missiles at them.

Modern F1 cars can easily develop 3.5 lateral gs when cornering. This is a repeated and sustained assault on the axial skeleton, and the neck in particular. F1 races can last more than 70 laps. They have nothing to cushion them from the immense lateral forces other than a headrest, a mandatory HANS (head and neck support) and their own overdeveloped neck musculature. Braking (longitudinal) gs can be up to 5g.

It is true that fighter planes like the F16 can develop 9gs, but experienced pilots very infrequently risk this, because of the physiologic dangers. 2 - 3gs are already considered bad enough because of the damage to the microvasculature of the eye this can cause. Plus fighter pilots have very effective g-suits to cushion them from these forces - formula one drivers have the Nomex suits that mainly protect them from burns.

"Duck and dodge" - do you think there is no skill involved in negotiating a racetrack at speeds of over 200 mph with other cars jostling for position ? Do you think there's no skill involved in avoiding a crash when there's a sudden obstacle in front of you (as in another car spinning or crashing) ? Fighter pilots have tons of electronic aids to warn them of missile lock and electronic countermeasures to foil missiles. It's a fairly slow process, decisions can be taken in seconds rather than the hundredths of seconds expected of decision made by an F1 driver.

Go fast, turn left. AND they shouldn't be TESTING their whatever when they do it. They should already have them before they climb behind the wheel.

Only turn left ? It's obvious your experience of "racing" is limited to NASCAR and maybe Indycar. For me, real racing should include left turns, right turns, short straights, long straights, low speed hairpins and high speed banked corners. The whole works. There is consummate skill involved in learning and taking the correct line around a corner, braking at just the right point, and hitting the apex exactly right. I'm talking about proper circuit racing (or other forms of demanding racing, including rally racing), while you seem to be fixated upon the boring and fairly undemanding oval racing. Before you judge racing, go watch some real racing first.

Ivan Seeking said:
As for the general argument, all sports are a luxury that should be taxed to the greatest extent possible. This is no different than alcohol, cigarettes, or lottery or gambling winnings.
Wow - so anything that people might enjoy needs to be taxed? Wow.

Could you explain how that can logically fit with the Constitution?
I also think we need to consider creating special taxes for things like parachutes, bikes, rock climbing gear, SCUBA gear, and any other sporting item that relates to costs to the general population. Isn't it fair that people pay for the increased risks and resulting costs [medical and insurance costs, as well as rescue efforts] to all of us that are associated with these activities.
Well, if this is just about the insurance money, things like scuba diving and skydiving carry their own insurance. My scuba diving will not increase your health insurance costs because your health insurance company does not cover scuba diving accidents.

When I was looking for stats on fossil fuel consumption for auto racing I actually found a few articles discussing the use of alternative fuels. It reminds me a bit of the book The Differance Engine where people who were interested in making money from racing developed the first engine utilizing petrol instead of steam. It's feasible to think that those in NASCAR may be interested in developing alternative fuel sources that could benefit us all.

russ_watters said:
Wow - so anything that people might enjoy needs to be taxed? Wow.

Could you explain how that can logically fit with the Constitution? Well, if this is just about the insurance money, things like scuba diving and skydiving carry their own insurance. My scuba diving will not increase your health insurance costs because your health insurance company does not cover scuba diving accidents.
Most of things these already are quite expensive too.
I went skydiving once. One tandum jump cost $120. To take classes and jump on your own cost quite a bit more.

TheStatutoryApe said:
When I was looking for stats on fossil fuel consumption for auto racing I actually found a few articles discussing the use of alternative fuels. It reminds me a bit of the book The Differance Engine where people who were interested in making money from racing developed the first engine utilizing petrol instead of steam. It's feasible to think that those in NASCAR may be interested in developing alternative fuel sources that could benefit us all.

Cart and Indy cars have used alcohol for decades, as have certain classes of drag racing and motorcycle racing. Any gas engine can be converted to use alcohol with simple carburation changes resulting in more horse power. Instead of some of you preaching the evils of fossile fuel consumption, maybe you should lead by example.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Most of things these already are quite expensive too.
I went skydiving once. One tandum jump cost $120. To take classes and jump on your own cost quite a bit more.
I went all the way, baby - I only did one jump, but it was a solo (two instructors next to me, but not attached) freefall from 13,500 feet and I flew and landed my own chute.

GOD__AM said:
Cart and Indy cars have used alcohol for decades, as have certain classes of drag racing and motorcycle racing. Any gas engine can be converted to use alcohol with simple carburation changes resulting in more horse power. Instead of some of you preaching the evils of fossile fuel consumption, maybe you should lead by example.
I'd be all for it if I could afford to do it to my car and have a supply and all. That and be sure that my engine would be capable of taking the new fuel without damaging it too much. Oh and make sure I have a supply off alcohol fuel too. :wink:

Russ said:
I went all the way, baby - I only did one jump, but it was a solo (two instructors next to me, but not attached) freefall from 13,500 feet and I flew and landed my own chute.
Mine was a last minute decision. I pretty much had to go tandum. I think I would have preferred solo because landing with a little man strapped to your back really sucks. My tail bone hurt for over a month.

Ivan Seeking said:
As for the general argument, all sports are a luxury that should be taxed to the greatest extent possible. This is no different than alcohol, cigarettes, or lottery or gambling winnings. I also think we need to consider creating special taxes for things like parachutes, bikes, rock climbing gear, SCUBA gear, and any other sporting item that relates to costs to the general population. Isn't it fair that people pay for the increased risks and resulting costs [medical and insurance costs, as well as rescue efforts] to all of us that are associated with these activities.

What about the medical costs as a result of lack of exercise. How many people have medical conditions as a result of not exercising? As TheStatutoryApe already said, any danger sports that are out there are usually quite expensive, and insurance is included in the price.

I'm not sure how you can compare drinking alcohol or smoking to taking part in sports.

On a related note, what do people think is more important, physical fitness or mental fitness? Personally I think the two are related, I always notice I get more work done after exercising. If I don't exercise for a few weeks I start to feel tired, stay in bed longer etc. But in terms of a general lifestyle, I'd prefer to be healthy and fit than smart. What do you think??

PS

Curious3141 said:
Before you judge racing, go watch some real racing first.
Eeeeeeazy big fella. How about hanging onto a sidecar with your noggin scraping the ground? I've never done it but it sounds more taxing and dangerous than riding in a car like a sissy. :biggrin: Balloon racing...now there's a sport. Especially if you can shoot flaming arrows at the other racers. On another note, I remember reading somewhere that Major League Baseball dosen't pay some sort of taxes and it began way back in the '30's or something. Anyone else heard of this?

ps: I don't normally drink coffee and I had a double mocha this morning so I can't be held responsible for my actions, especially the sweats, vibrating, and fits of Tourettes. Love ya...call me...mean it...

Last edited: