Should Politicians Embrace Intellectualism?

In summary, Angela Merkel, a physicist, has stepped down to take the post of Mayor of Camden, NJ. There are several candidates competing to take her vacated seat in the legislature.
Jimmy Snyder
I thought there was a thread with a similar subject line, but I can't find it. Ms. Redd, a member of the NJ Legislature has stepped down to take the post of Mayor of Camden, NJ. There are several candidates competing to take her vacated seat in the legislature. Here is today's Camden Courier Post headline:

Redd shifts; rivals gravitate.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/section/NEWS01"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "Physics for Future Presidents" on YouTube.

Waterstone's Gower Street, and I'm sure many others, have a section devoted to debunking-BS books like 'Voodoo Science'. I've thumbed through them, and debated science with people both in the real world and on the Internet, and the sheer technical ignorance is astounding, even outside the New Age crowd. It's depressing.

Char. Limit said:
OMG. Apparently future presidents are dumber than poets! This class -- at UC Berkeley no less -- represents a dumbing down of the already dumbed down and much maligned (and rightfully so) Physics for Poets classes.

Char. Limit said:

you mean this?

he makes a lot of sense. in politics it seems that people fight over whose opinion is better, or that people stupidly cling to ideas for no reason except that they just sound good to them. in things like math or physics it doesn't much matter what someone's opinion is, especially if it's easy to demonstrate that someone's wrong. it's sort of like the rule for entering plato's academy; the prerequisite searching for knowledge & wisdom, etc was to study math

Last edited by a moderator:
If all Politicians are physicists then we have a lot less problems in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Merkel

Merkel was educated in Templin and at the University of Leipzig, where she studied physics from 1973 to 1978.

After being awarded a doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) for her thesis on quantum chemistry[8] she worked as a researcher.

Amanheis said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Merkel

Merkel was educated in Templin and at the University of Leipzig, where she studied physics from 1973 to 1978.

After being awarded a doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) for her thesis on quantum chemistry[8] she worked as a researcher.
This is the same example that's always used over and over.
The way the American education system presents science topics in general needs to be revised heavily.

Bright Wang said:
If all Politicians are physicists then we have a lot less problems in the world.
Not necessarily. My physics professor was a physicist, and he gave us lots of problems to do.

I think politicians should need to know how to not govern like an idiot, first. Everytime I hear them talk, it makes me regret Democracy.

Politicians would look for worm holes to get ahead faster, or to remove themselves from the self-created bad situations; and seek black holes to stick all of their discretions.

Bright Wang said:

A Physicist would never stoop that low.

But the question is of course if people are really willing to vote for a scientist?

There are a few examples of scientist going into politics with some success.
However, most people tend to vote for candidates that are "just like us", which to a large extent rules out scientists.

f95toli said:
But the question is of course if people are really willing to vote for a scientist?

I would prefer a good politician than a good scientist.

rootX said:
I would prefer a good politician than a good scientist.

Perhaps, but is a "good politician" really a good thing?

While this is extremely naive, I wish there existed a candidate who was honest about his opinions. IMO, an intellectual is rarely subtle about his/her sentiments. Therefore, I would like it if a candidate has had a history of "intellectualism*" and public advocacy. Of course, such a candidate will not take an office.

* By "intellectualism", it does not have to be big. Even a good blog would suffice.

Pinu7 said:
Perhaps, but is a "good politician" really a good thing?

While this is extremely naive, I wish there existed a candidate who was honest about his opinions. IMO, an intellectual is rarely subtle about his/her sentiments. Therefore, I would like it if a candidate has had a history of "intellectualism*" and public advocacy. Of course, such a candidate will not take an office.

* By "intellectualism", it does not have to be big. Even a good blog would suffice.

Exactly. What makes someone succeed in politics is the ability to obfuscate, say nothing meaningful, and have a subjective notion of truth (besides the obvious ability to read and manipulae people). This is totally contrary to the gestalt of a physicist.

Related to Should Politicians Embrace Intellectualism?

1. Why should politicians study physics?

Studying physics can help politicians make informed decisions about complex issues that involve scientific principles, such as climate change, energy policy, and technological advancements. It can also improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can physics benefit politicians?

Physics can provide politicians with a deeper understanding of the world around them and the laws that govern it. This knowledge can help them make more accurate predictions and develop effective policies.

3. Is it necessary for politicians to have a background in physics?

No, it is not necessary for politicians to have a background in physics. However, having a basic understanding of scientific concepts can help them better understand and address important issues that affect society.

4. What specific areas of physics should politicians focus on?

Politicians should focus on areas of physics that are relevant to their policy-making responsibilities, such as energy, climate change, and technology. They should also have a basic understanding of scientific methods and principles.

5. Can studying physics make politicians better leaders?

Studying physics can improve a politician's analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential for effective leadership. It can also help them make evidence-based decisions and communicate complex scientific concepts to the public.