Should public prayer be banned near courthouses?

• News
  • Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, a group of students were stopped by a police officer while praying outside the Supreme Court building. The officer believed that public prayer was prohibited near the courthouse, but this was later proved to be incorrect. The group relocated to a sidewalk and continued their prayer without interruption. The incident sparked discussions about the limits of freedom and the need for good leadership.
drankin
I get my news from Fox.com because it's my preferred form of biased media. Anyhow, I just found this article that I found interesting: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/

It brings up some questions. Should public prayer ever be suppressed? And, wtf was that police officer thinking?

I don't expect the police to know what every single law of the land is. I expect them to utilize some common sense about what is and isn't a crime. Apparently, common sense to this officer was that public prayer is against the law near the courthouse. Where does this come from?

Provided it's not infringing on the rights of another somehow, like preventing them access to a location, or possibly creating some kind of danger to those around (some religions might have some crazy prayer rituals), how could someone see a prayer circle as a prohibited activity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Considering I just saw a chaplain give an opening prayer on the floor of congress today on CSPAN, my guess is he's wrong.

Wouldn't they need a permit to gather and hold a peaceful demonstration? As long as they are moving, they wouldn't be loitering. Sounds like loitering at a minimum.

Cyrus said:
Considering I just saw a chaplain give an opening prayer on the floor of congress today on CSPAN, my guess is he's wrong.

I so want to know the flak this cop is getting over this...

Even if it's just among his fellow officers. LOL!

But, my point being, where does this come from?

Evo said:
Wouldn't they need a permit to gather and hold a peaceful demonstration?

Is it a demonstration? Technically?

Wow. Just insane. Courthouse rent-a-cop?

What a dolt. Apparently he doesn't understand the difference between government-sponsored prayer, and freedom of speech.

Don't forget that the officer may have just told them to move along, because gathering like that may not be allowed. Are we no longer questioning over hyped news articles?

So, standing in a circle is not allowed on a public street?

KalamMekhar said:
So, standing in a circle is not allowed on a public street?
Depends on the laws for gathering and loitering.

Plus, they were gathering on the property of the Supreme Court?

We don't really know what happened since we only have the group's interpretation.

Evo said:
Depends on the laws for gathering and loitering.

Plus, they were gathering on the property of the Supreme Court?

The students were part of a junior high school American History class at Wickenburg Christian Academy in Arizona. After taking pictures on the steps of the Supreme Court building, their teacher gathered them to a side location where

Sounds to me like they were on a sidewalk.

KalamMekhar said:
Doesn't sound like it to me. I'm surprised that people are jumping to conclusions.

So the group of 15 students and seven adults left the Supreme Court and relocated to a sidewalk – where Rigo said the children stood in a gutter – and continued their prayer.

I don't think the news provides sufficient details other than that they were on the Supreme Court property and second that they carried on with their prayers without any interruptions after leaving Supreme Court.

KalamMekhar said:

See the above post.

IN A GUTTER! :rolleyes: If they were on the sidewalk, and not disrupting the flow of pedestrian traffic in any way, they have done nothing wrong. If they were on SC land, they could be asked to leave and continue on elsewhere. But if they were asked to leave SC land, wouldn't everyone have to be asked to leave SC land if they were talking to someone?

See article below - it was written by the teacher in the incident above. In it, she describes the incident at the SC, and another similar incident at the White House, and draws parallels with these and Nazi Germany! Nice!

http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/100616/frntpg_WCA_Praying.html

After the White House stop students received a more sobering kind of education as they visited the Holocaust Museum. Some commented on the way the horror in Germany began so simply with the removal of rights for the Jews while so many others looked the other way. Is it beginning here to Christians in America today they asked? Discussion centered around the rights we are willing to give up in order to be safe. The question of the day was; Are we giving up our rights for security? If so, where does that stop? The rest of the evening was spent at the Lincoln, Korean, and Vietnam memorials.

So what did the students learn? They learned that freedom isn’t free. They learned that many of our liberties are being curtailed or taken away in the name of security. They learned that our nation desperately needs good leadership. They learned that now, more than ever before, they need to be praying for our country.

Yeah, she did a Godwin.

Damnit, why can't religious people keep their mouth shut and quit giving us a bad name. I don't go about crying foul whenever someone makes fun of Catholics.

KalamMekhar said:
IN A GUTTER! :rolleyes: If they were on the sidewalk, and not disrupting the flow of pedestrian traffic in any way, they have done nothing wrong. If they were on SC land, they could be asked to leave and continue on elsewhere. But if they were asked to leave SC land, wouldn't everyone have to be asked to leave SC land if they were talking to someone?
Kalam, they moved to the sidewalk AFTER the officer told them to move.

Gokul43201 said:
See article below - it was written by the teacher in the incident above. In it, she describes the incident at the SC, and another similar incident at the White House, and draws parallels with these and Nazi Germany! Nice!

http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/100616/frntpg_WCA_Praying.html

Yeah, she did a Godwin.
As I figured, they weren't told that they couldn't pray, they were told that they couldn't gather there.

“This police officer acted reprehensibly,” Franks said. “Those students had every right to pray there on the steps of the Supreme Court.”

Arguement withdrawn, although it does say they have prayed there before without incident.

Subscribing to this thread on PF Mobile.

drankin said:
I don't expect the police to know what every single law of the land is. I expect them to utilize some common sense about what is and isn't a crime. Apparently, common sense to this officer was that public prayer is against the law near the courthouse. Where does this come from?
It ultimately comes from the widespread notion that a legitimate function of government is a parental or guardianship role over people in general. The Enlightenment just didn't take hold in many ways for many people.

I think Evo may be right though. There may be some law concerning gathering near the SC. I know that they have stepped up security recently and the judges aren't even allowed to enter through the front of the building anymore.

drankin said:
IShould public prayer ever be suppressed?
Yes, but indirectly, starting at a young age. Children should be taught the art (and joy) of critical thinking. They should be taught not to take anybody's word for anything, but to learn the truth, as best they can, from publicly available evidence. Belief without evidence is a very very dangerous and foolish thing.

FAQ: Should public prayer be banned near courthouses?

1. What is the current law regarding public prayer near courthouses?

Currently, there is no federal law banning public prayer near courthouses. However, some states or local municipalities may have their own laws or regulations regarding public prayer in certain areas.

2. What are the arguments for banning public prayer near courthouses?

One argument for banning public prayer near courthouses is that it violates the separation of church and state, as outlined in the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Another argument is that it can make individuals of different religions or those who do not practice any religion feel uncomfortable or excluded.

3. What are the arguments against banning public prayer near courthouses?

Some argue that banning public prayer near courthouses would be infringing on freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Additionally, others believe that public prayer can bring a sense of unity and comfort to those who practice a certain religion.

4. Have there been any court cases regarding the banning of public prayer near courthouses?

Yes, there have been several court cases regarding the issue of public prayer near courthouses. In 2005, the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of allowing a monument with the Ten Commandments to remain on the grounds of the Texas State Capitol. In 2014, the Supreme Court also ruled in favor of allowing prayers at government meetings, including at courthouses.

5. How do other countries handle public prayer near courthouses?

Each country may have different laws and regulations regarding public prayer near courthouses. In some countries, public prayer may be allowed and even encouraged, while in others it may be strictly prohibited. It ultimately depends on the cultural and religious beliefs of each individual country.