Should same values of currents be used in Kirchoff's laws?

In summary: Just that when you put them in series you get the sum of their voltages, and when you put them in parallel, you get the same voltage across each.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with various resistors and a battery, and the goal is to find the total current and branch currents using Kirchhoff's laws. The currents are represented by i1, i2, i3, and i4, and it is assumed that the direction of current is clockwise. After solving the equations, it is determined that the source current and the current in loop 1 are the same, and the battery can be placed in series like a resistor.
Sol_Engineered
Total and current branches.png

Homework Statement

See above diagram for full details of the circuit

Variables used:

Assumption: direction of current is clockwise and the loops are positive in clockwise as well.

Current through 1000 ohm=i1
Current through 4700 ohm-i2
Current through 2200 ohm=i3
Current through 1200 ohm=i4

Please note there are 2 junctions present across 2200ohm resistor. Thanks!

Problem: we have to find the total current (I) and the branch currents (i1, i2...i4) using Kirchoffs laws.

Homework Equations

Using kicrhoffs current law:

i1=i3+i2
i3+i2=i4

Therefore i1=i4

Using kicrhoffs voltage law:

Loop 1: 12=1000i1+2200i3+1200i1 (since i1=i4)
Loop 2: 0=4700i2+2200i3

The Attempt at a Solution

Loop 1: 12=2200i1+2200i3 (simplification)

But i1=i2+i3

=> 12=2200i2+4400i3

Solving loop 1 and loop 2 eqn's simultaneously gives:

i2=-1/600A (isn't the current supposed to go towards the negative terminal?)

Substitution into loop 1 eq'n gives:

i3=47/13200A

Now the problems:

(1) if i1=i3+i2 then should |i2| be used or i2 to substitute in for the i2 in the equation mentioned?
(2) also having found i2, i1, and i3, then is the summation (with or without modulus of i2?) of these branch currents equal to source current?
(3) assuming the" e.m.f source current ≠ branch currents summation" (as asked in question (2), correct my thinking please); the question is should I simplify the circuit (parallel and series resistors to an equivalent resistor and then using E=IV) and calculate source current using ohms law? I ask this because the question asks for usage of kirchhoffs laws (underlined in the problem) to find branch currents and the source current.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no need to use Kirchhoff's laws here, but if the problem statement wants you to use them... well.
Sol_Engineered said:
Loop 2: 0=4700i2+2200i3
If you go around the loop, one current will get a negative sign because . Fix that and everything will work out.

The source current is the current in loop 1, there is no need to add anything.

. I checked out that total current (using alternative method) is same as that in I1. I can't seem to make myself clear that why would total current be same as in I1?

The source and R1 are in series. What else would you expect?

mfb said:
The source and R1 are in series. What else would you expect?
Ah so battery can be in series like a resistor!

Sorry first year of mechanical engineering and I feel so dumbThanks mate

Sol_Engineered said:
Ah so battery can be in series like a resistor!
All components can be in series. There is nothing preventing you from putting them in the right spot in a circuit, neither on paper nor wíth actual wires.

Related to Should same values of currents be used in Kirchoff's laws?

1. What is Kirchoff's current law?

Kirchoff's current law states that the total current entering a junction or node in a circuit must equal the total current leaving that junction or node. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. Why is it important to use the same values of currents in Kirchoff's laws?

Using the same values of currents in Kirchoff's laws ensures that the equations accurately represent the behavior of the circuit. If different values of currents are used, the equations will not be balanced and the results will be incorrect.

3. Can different values of currents be used in Kirchoff's laws?

Technically, different values of currents can be used in Kirchoff's laws, but this will result in incorrect equations and solutions. It is important to use the same values of currents in order to accurately analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit.

4. What happens if different values of currents are used in Kirchoff's laws?

If different values of currents are used in Kirchoff's laws, the equations will not be balanced and the results will be incorrect. This can lead to a misunderstanding of the circuit's behavior and potentially cause errors in circuit design or troubleshooting.

5. Are there any exceptions to using the same values of currents in Kirchoff's laws?

No, there are no exceptions to using the same values of currents in Kirchoff's laws. This principle is fundamental to the laws and must be followed in order to accurately analyze circuits and predict their behavior.