Should the Drake Equation Consider Moons?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the Drake equation should consider the presence of moons as potential habitable locations and their effect on their parent planet. However, it is not essential for a planet to have a moon for the development of intelligent life. The Rare Earth Theory expands on the Drake Equation and accounts for factors that were not previously known.
Loren Booda
Does the Drake equation need to accommodate moons?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think moons are taken care of in one of the terms...e.g. the term that has the probability that life arises on that planet, or the probability that that life becomes intelligent.

I always wondered, why didn't Drake just pose his equation: N=N as in, the number of intelligent civilizations we could hope to contact is equal to the number of intelligent civilizations we could hope to contact...we know this N parameter just as well (or, in this case, just as unwell) as we know some of the other parameters in his equation...

Loren Booda said:

I suppose we could redefine [tex]n_e[/tex] as "average number of planets + moons that can potentially support life per star that has planets"

It will take some time though before we have a handle on just how common moons around planets in the habitable zone are. Our only example is our solar system and exoplanet hunts are not yet sophisticated enough to detect the presence of moons.

Loren Booda said:

This can be read in two ways. Should the Drake equation consider the effect of a moon on its parent planet? Or, should the Drake equation consider moons as possible habitable locations? Either way, I think the answer should be yes.

In the first case, many scientists have come to the conclusion that our moon has helped stabilize our planet's tilt and helped create tidal forces on the planet that encourage tectonic activity, both of which are important for the creation of life on our planet.

In the second case, as Europa has shown, water can exist on moons as well as planets, and therefore moons can support life. Some moons have tectonic activity. Some have atmospheres. Therefore, moons should be considered (although I think many factors make moons a less likely chance for evolved life).

I say nay.

After all, the Drake Equation is just an approximation. Nothing more. Trying to become increasingly accurate defeats the purpose of the equation! So whether the fraction of habitable planets is .1 or .07 seems a little irrelevant for the type of computation for which the equation is intended.

Of course, you can account for anything in such an equation. After all, it's just the product of a bunch of terms. You could freely add more or change the definition of the ones already there. My contribution: Fraction of planets which are impacted by very large asteroids, rendering them uninhabitable for intelligent life.

I think "The Rare Earth Theory" discusses moons. Check out that book. It is a good read. It also greatly expands the Drake Equation to factor in things we know about now that we didn't know about decades ago when the Drake Equation was proposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

A big moon helps, but is not essential. In our solar system the sun contributes about 1/3 to ocean tides. Moon pulls the rest. Rare Earther's are pushing their own agenda and conveniently ignore facts inconsistent with their world views.

Related to Should the Drake Equation Consider Moons?

What is the Drake equation?

The Drake equation is a mathematical equation created by astronomer Frank Drake in 1961 to estimate the number of intelligent and communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy.

How does the Drake equation work?

The Drake equation takes into account several factors that are believed to influence the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations, such as the number of habitable planets, the percentage of those planets that develop intelligent life, and the ability of that life to communicate.

Is the Drake equation accurate?

The Drake equation is not considered to be a definitive answer to the question of whether or not there are other intelligent civilizations in the universe. It is a theoretical tool used to stimulate scientific debate and exploration.

What are the criticisms of the Drake equation?

One major criticism of the Drake equation is that it relies on many unknown variables and makes several assumptions, making it difficult to accurately estimate the number of intelligent civilizations. Additionally, some critics argue that the equation is biased towards Western assumptions about life and communication.

What is the significance of the Drake equation?

The Drake equation is significant because it sparked interest and research into the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. It also serves as a reminder of the vastness of the universe and the possibility of other intelligent life forms beyond Earth.